Thinking about trying knapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about trying knapping

I think knapping might be a really fun rewarding hobby. My only concern is that its one of those hobbies you get into naively and it ends up being really expensive. After buying some tools I can't imagine it would get expensive but Ive thought that before about other hobbies. I can find plenty of chert rocks to work with for free. What do you knappers say?

I like napping. It is free and I always wake up feeling rested. I don't get to nap as much though now that I have kids.

I know this doesn't help you at all, but here is a bump for you.

Comment

I never have but am thinking about trying. I want to build a bow, build my arrows with a wood shaft fletched with turkey feathers from a turkey I hope to harvest with my recurve this spring and knapp an arrow head to put on the end of the arrow then go kill something with the setup!
      Let me know how it goes. What tools you will need and such.

Comment

LOL Thanks TB80

SwampGhost, there are starter kits available many places online that aren't too expensive.
        Last edited by TXbowman; 01-20-2014, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Two of my friends bought starter kits but neither has got close to something that looks like an arrow head lol
          It must not be as easy as first thought...

Comment

I have been wanting to do it for years, so I just bought a starter kit from 3 Rivers. I got it this weekend. It has a set of instructions, but I read about 2-3 pages and got bored with reading. I have been looking at youtube for some good videos. I haven't found the ones I need yet.

Comment

I've been trying to all day at work but they just keep pestering me with, well work........

Comment

I found that I just wasted my money on the cheap starter kit. I never could get things to come out right until I got the good tools. Here is what I use plus a few extras I picked up along the way http://www.flintknappingtools.com/mega_kit.html

Warning: this rock breaking thing is highly addictive

Comment

Just some eye candy to whet your appetite
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think knapping is hard, but it's really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      Just some eye candy to whet your appetite
                      Very nice!!!!!!

Comment

if you really get into it and start knapping the really fancy stone it can get costly. Just like anything the deeper into it you get the more money you can spend!

Comment

I've tried it and I am HORRIBLE at it. I pick it up every now and then and disappoint myself until I give up.

Comment

If you want a good starter kit flintknappingtools.com or you could just buy some copper nails to put in homemade handles. If you pm me your address i will send you some copper nails. Would be glad to help you out getting started.

Wes

Comment

On YouTube do a search for beginner flint knapping, you can find a ton of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X