Lens Selection Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Selection Help

I hope the following gives folks an idea of how telephoto zoom lenses affect image size. Naturally the lens size in terms of power(mm) is dependant on what you might want to use it for. Tonight it's BIRDS.
    I'm set up 12 feet away from my bird feeder and used a tripod for all but the last 2 images. Tripod to fix the distance at 12'.
    First lens is a Canon EFs 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS USM. I'll let you know when I change lenses. My bird feeder is 12" tall.
    17mm

35mm

60mm

85 mm

I now switch to a EF 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS USM

100mm

150mm

200mm This is where small to medium sized birds begin to show pretty well. At 12 feet!

300 mm and where are the birds? Auto focus struggles.

OK, I'm out of lens at 300 mm so I'm adding a 1.5x Kenko Tele Converter (TC)

375mm Auto focus works with the 70-300 in this range.

450mm Flat out and the Auto Focus just doesn't work. So it's manual.
    A camera shy sparrow.

A dove at about 85 yards and 450mm. Click him.

Finally what I was waiting for! These 2 are 450mm and manual focus which is really touchy. I normally back the lens down a bit to a point where the Auto Focus works well. Not the greatest pics but they are not cropped.
    Click him:

By doing this I'm able to determine that for small birds I need the EF 100-400 L 4-5.6 IS USM at this 12' range. I would also want a Canon 1.4 TC to get in tighter. I think it would serve my needs well. Prime lenses 400mm and above can get pricy.
    Basically when someone says "what do you want to do with it" I hope this may help you answer the question. In my case 400mm at 12' sounds like a bunch but as you can see it's really not.

Forgot! I have a branch wired to the feeder post to get birds to roost above the view of the feeder.
    Last edited by Bluesman; 05-21-2008, 07:46 PM.

cool post , thx for the guidance.

Comment

Nice write up! How are you liking the EFs 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS USM as a general purpose walk-around lens?

Comment

You're getting great images out of that TC/70-300 combo. For some reason, I'm surprised at that.

Thanks for the play by play.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          You're getting great images out of that TC/70-300 combo. For some reason, I'm surprised at that.

Thanks for the play by play.
          I fired off 11 to get 2 in manual focus. The combo works pretty well when backed down to 280mm(420mm) or so. The AF will work well at that point but it's useless flat out.
          Send money!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            Nice write up! How are you liking the EFs 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS USM as a general purpose walk-around lens?
            I think it's a good lens. Probably not tack sharp but I've done 30 x 20 prints with no problem at all. It focuses very quickly. I know the f5.6 is a draw back to some but I nearly always use a flash. If there is not adequate light on a subject a faster lens won't add light.
            The only problem is hanging it around your neck and having the tube slide out due to gravity. But not really a huge deal.
            I haven't had a lot of luck with land scapes but am at a loss for the proper settings.
            With the camera in the Av mode the images will be exactly what I see so I'll defend it on that important merit.

Thanks for having a look.

Comment

Working...
            X