Why is 15yds so hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is 15yds so hard?

I do good all the way to 14yds and then at 15 it goes to crap. I've tried diff anchor points, three under and split. I know it all mental, but I cant any consistency. I usually shoot four arrows at a time and only two will be good. Any suggestions?

I started canting my bow recently, as much as 45ยบ, and I saw a big improvement. I wonder, though, if that has to do with the fact that I'm right handed and left eye dominant.

Comment

For me, it was a tuning problem.

Comment

If you are shooting good groups and getting good arrow flight at 12 yards and missing from further out, it is unlikely to be a form problem, you just need to shoot more from further out. It took me at least a year to shoot 4" groups consistently at 12 yards. At that time, I might get one out of three in a 4" ring at 15 yards. I moved back and shot a lot from 15 and can now can shoot 4" groups from that distance. Next step is 20 yards. Keep shooting from further back to train your brain.

Comment

I would start by shooting just one arrow at a time and hold off on the trick shots of 4 arrows at a time

Comment

Tim send him a copy of 3-10-5-20 maybe it will help him?

Comment

I am also left eye dominant shooting right handed. I recently took as much cant out of my bow that I could and have shot a lot better. I don't think it is a tuning issue, my arrows seem to fly true. I have for yellow feathers, so they are pretty easy to watch. I guess I will just put more practice at 15 and farther.

Comment

If your already an experienced shooter... You need to tune your arrows to the bow your shooting them from sounds like. Shoot the bare shafts and see how they hit.
                Last edited by RACK; 09-05-2013, 06:52 PM.

Comment

If you practice at 30 all the time, 20 becomes easy.

Comment

shoot one arrow at a time, recover your arrow. it helps with muscle recovery.

isnt that right Rob and Bisch?

Comment

I agree with Buff, move back to 20-25-30-35-40 flinging arrows. When you get back to 15 you'll be amazed. Also I like to stand about 5-10 yards from my target facing away and throw 2-3 arrows underhand and wherever they land I shoot the arrow from that distance. Don't walk it off or measure, it'll help with unknown distance shooting. Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                        Not to mention its fun shooting back that far.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                          ^^^^^^^^^ This,

BUT

I got to add - there's not enough difference in distance from 14 to 15 yards that your shooting should go to pot from one to the other. Something else has to be going on.

I bet if I stood you at 15 yards, but convinced you it was only 14 yards, you would shoot just fine.

Rick

Comment

Forget distances and just shoot. Your mental rangefinder will kick in.

Comment

Mental...do what Buff said. You'll be surprised, I can't hit anything at 17 steps for some reason

Comment

Working...
                              X