Fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fps

I plan on hunting with my recurve this year and have a question about my arrow speed. I am shooting easton aluminum arrows with total arrow weight around 500 grains, my bow is a pse impala 45lb @ 28 inches which is about what i am pulling.

my arrow speed is 156 average. does that sound right? and is that sufficent?

this is the first year i will be seriously trying with my traditional bow, i have played around with it in the past and have always shot split instintivley but starting today i am going to try three under using the gap method as draco described.

thanks for all the input and advice.

From what I understand of traditional archery as long as everything is tuned, you're consistent, and you have confidence your setup will be fine. I've been told that when it comes to trad arrow speed is not as important as a well tuned arrow and consistent form. Good luck and I am sure the more experienced archers will shine in soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Loreva13 View Post
      From what I understand of traditional archery as long as everything is tuned, you're consistent, and you have confidence your setup will be fine. I've been told that when it comes to trad arrow speed is not as important as a well tuned arrow and consistent form. Good luck and I am sure the more experienced archers will shine in soon.
      Great explanation right there^^^^!! Equipment that is well tuned leads to confidence which is really important to me! Of course, don't forget razor sharp broadheads and shot placement.

Comment

well if you want 170 fps you will need a Sarrels jk. as long as you groups are tight and cosistant you will be good.

Comment

Just and FYI... many, many moons ago I used a straight limbed longbow... Had the speed of a turtle on stilts... think it came in around 158-160 FPS but, it pulled 72 lbs. Shot a 585 grain arrow from it and managed to take several large hogs, many deer and one bull moose! Shot placement is the key not speed as Larry has stated above!

Comment

Your setup should work fine if your broadhead is sharp and you can place it where it belongs. But, I don't think I would be changing my style of shooting this close to the season start.

Comment

Your speed sounds about right.

and

If your setup is well tuned it will work just fine to hunt with.

Bisch

Comment

ok so i went home yesterday and slung some arrow, tried the three under and i will not be pursuing that style until next year.

my dad gave me a 40lb@28in ben pearson that i shot for the first time yesterday and man that thing shoots awesome. i think i may use it this year based on how well i shoot with it. Due to it even being lower draw weight and i assume slower i will be limiting my shots to 15yds or so.

Comment

My brother hunts with a 40# bow and has killed several deer with no problems. He shoots at 10-12 yards. Good placement is the key. If you shoot the 40# better go for it.

Comment

I was pretty shocked when I shot my bows thru a chrono. Especially when I hear of all these people getting 195-200+ fps out of their setup. I think I was around 160-170 fps average for my bows with 525 and 550 grain arrows. I've killed a few hogs and deer with mine and I do believe the correctly tuned arrows are way more important than speed. Good luck and enjoy.

Comment

My bow shoots 176-178 FPS and it kills them pretty good!

Comment

Originally posted by Featherflinger View Post
                        I was pretty shocked when I shot my bows thru a chrono. Especially when I hear of all these people getting 195-200+ fps out of their setup. I think I was around 160-170 fps average for my bows with 525 and 550 grain arrows. I've killed a few hogs and deer with mine and I do believe the correctly tuned arrows are way more important than speed. Good luck and enjoy.
                        I'm shocked when I hear the fps some people claim they're getting. On another forum the other day I saw some one claim 184 with his Black Widow. He was drawing 53 lbs at 27 inches and shooting a 545 grain arrow. It might be possible, but I'm skeptical.

Comment

I've never chronoed any of my bows, but I kill plenty of critters inside of 20 yards. You practice and put that arrow where your looking and you'll do just fine.

is chrononed a word?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                            I've never chronoed any of my bows, but I kill plenty of critters inside of 20 yards. You practice and put that arrow where your looking and you'll do just fine.

is chrononed a word?
                            Works for me, but I think the proper termonology would be "chronographed". But then again I'm too redneck most of the times to use the fancy terms.

Comment

I figure if you can sling a hunting weight arrow downrange quietly and accurately with good arrow flight snd a razor sharp broadhead you're doing ok. I get about 160-170 with my bow and 500 gr. arrows 42.5@26. A lot of the 190+ fps bows are shooting 9gpp or less arrows with a bare shaft, mechanical release and no string silencers.
                              Last edited by chackworth3; 08-22-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X