Recommend a deer rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a deer rifle

I am thinking of buying my brother a deer rifle as a thank you present. I was going to get him a grill for his new house, but he just got one. Any recommendations for a good rifle for maybe $250-300? I'm not too concerned with the caliber. Most of them will handle a wide enough range of loads to take anything he'd be shooting. I shoot a Winchester Model 70 Lightweight in .270 and it's been great. I was leaning towards something similar. I just don't know enough about rifles to know what other brands to look at, other than Rem, Win, etc., or what some of the features it should have are.

I have a Ruger .270 and love it... Small compact for moving through the brush and light weight. .270 is one of the best deer guns around BTW.
    Jeff Young

Comment

IMO a .270 or 30-06 is the way to go. You can get a Remington 710 (i think) from Academy in either caliber for around 300. I have only heard bad reports about that model but I have never missed any animal with the Model 710 .270 I shot.

Comment

Remington 700 is hard to beat. It is a very strong well made rifle. The only thing that I do not like about it is that the triggers are stiff and are hard to adjust. Most gunsmith prefer to work on the 700s because of their quality and parts are easy to find. If you do not like the way the 700 groups, you can find a good gunsmith who can accurize your rifle and make it a real tack driver.

Comment

Just bought a new Stevens 200 in 7mm08 for my daughter to shoot in S. TX and it shoots great. I talked to several different people and they all said that these guns shot really well so I decided to try one out. I did upgrade the scope a little bit and got a nikon instead of the simmons. Just my .02 worth. The package with the simmons was 339.00 plus tax.
          >E

Comment

+1 on the Stevens 200. You can also buy a Savage 110 in just about any caliber and pay less than $350 for it, some with a scope.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post
              +1 on the Stevens 200. You can also buy a Savage 110 in just about any caliber and pay less than $350 for it, some with a scope.

Todd
              This is what I'm talking about. I've never even heard of Stevens before. I knew there had to be something that was a good shooter that didn't cost $700. The green screen comes through again!

Thanks everyone. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Savage Model 110/10

I have a Savage model FP10 designed for long distance work, that I love it is a .308 and it shot sub MOA five round groups at 100 yards right out of the box. I also have 7mm-08 Savage 110 that shoots just as well with less shoulder shock. I have and shoot rem., win., ruger, but for the buck I definately think a savage is the way to go.

Comment

I must agree with REM 700. Its the old standby bolt action for many hunters. As you said it comes in a wide range of calibers.

Comment

You are limiting yourself with the $250-300 range. For 300 or less you would be looking at a used Savage 110. For the money, Savage is hard to beat, its the ugly sister of bolt-action rifles. For just a little more you could get a new Savage. I would stay away from the Rem. 710. Don't know what Remington was thinking with that disaster.

Comment

Get an Academy flier from the Sunday paper. I can't remember which one it was but they had a rifle in 25-06, 270 and 30-06 on sale for $289.

Comment

Rem. 700 is gonna be hard to beat

Comment

Savage 110 with accutrigger,not pretty but for the money it is the best gun and trigger out there.IMO

Comment

Remington 700 .25-06!

Comment

Go for Rem 700 but stay away from the 710 and the "cheap 700s" Cheap as in the ADLs with composite stock and barrel that looks like its coating is a rhino lining. Go ahead and spend the extra cash and get a BDL or CDL with wood or synthetic (better grade than ADLs synthetic) stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X