Wood arrow broadhead/field tip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood arrow broadhead/field tip question

Do you guys designate certain wood arrows to broadheads and mount them on your arrows or do you shoot all your arrows with field tips and then just put the broadheads on them at hunting time?

I am referring to wood arrows only. It is a pain to get them glued on there right. I have been using hot glue so that I can mount and remove them. Is there a better glue?

I usually pick out the best arrows and set them aside for broadheads. After I mount the broadheads I check that they spin perfectly and will shoot them once or twice to see that they fly properly. I then resharpen the broadheads and set these arrows aside for hunting. I haven't found anything better than the hot glue.

Comment

Phillip, what do you shoot your broadheads into?

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        I usually pick out the best arrows and set them aside for broadheads. After I mount the broadheads I check that they spin perfectly and will shoot them once or twice to see that they fly properly. I then resharpen the broadheads and set these arrows aside for hunting. I haven't found anything better than the hot glue.
        I do not shoot wood arrows anymore, but when I did, this is the way I did it too.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
          Phillip, what do you shoot your broadheads into?
          I use the Classic Block Target. http://www.basspro.com/Field-Logic-T...duct/10212088/

Comment

I use med closed cell white Styrofoam. They re-roofed a church not to long ago they had styrofoam on the roof and was 12 inches thick and angled down to 10 inches in 4 feet section by 2 feet wide.
            I grabbed 4 blocks of foam, I cut the melted roofing material off and stack two together I stood them on end and the broadheads don't make it all the way through.
            After a shooting session I'll touch up the Snuffers and I'm good to go !

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post

Sound advise right there. In my last batch of arrows there was one that I had to cull because it consistently went to the right about a foot. I don't have a spine tester but believe it must be different from the rest.

Comment

Thanks.

Do you think as you begin to wear out the ones that have practice tips on them that they may shoot differently than the perfect ones with broadheads on them?

Comment

I shoot my broadheads into a dirt pile. It does wear the color off. Once I sharpen/resharpen blades I coat the edges and worn areas with a permanent marker.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    Thanks.

Do you think as you begin to wear out the ones that have practice tips on them that they may shoot differently than the perfect ones with broadheads on them?
                    I think that over time, and many many shots, the spine will weaken somewhat. I usually break or lose them before this becomes an issue. I have some that I have had for years and they don't shoot significantly different.

To add to my previous post about broadheads, just before the season starts I will put broadheads on some of my practice arrows and practice with them.

Comment

I have a set I put broadheads on several years ago. I have been shooting the remainder of the dozen and they look beat up and look like they need new fletching. I just thought by now they may shoot differently. I guess I can fling the broadheads to see.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                        Thanks.

I think your putting way too much thought into this. If the arrows were changing, it would be gradual you'd never be able to tell.
                        Unless you shoot perfect every day !!!!!
                        I have days,I can't buy a bullseye..hey! I can blame it on my changing arrows!

Thanks ole buddy !!

But seriously, Just go have fun. I had noticed my Bh arrows are hitting closer to the hair I'm aiming at.
                        Maybe It's because I know it's the real deal !

Comment

You are probably right. I am thinking too much. I really want to hunt with the longbow, I am just scared. I have not shot my compound since November or December so I am off to a good start.

Comment

I have hunting arrows and practice arrows. I practice with broadheads during season.

Comment

Working...
                            X