.22 Magnum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.22 Magnum?

Thoughts on the .22 Magnum versus .22LR? Would a .22 Magnum be sufficient for coyotes? How about for squirrels (is it overkill?)?

I have a Winchester 9422Magnum I inhereted from an uncle and it's a cool gun.

Todd
    Attached Files

That is a very cool looking gun.
    I've got a coworker that is ate up with squirrel hunting and uses both the lr & magnum.
    He says the magnum provides a little extra reach and the ability to take a pig out if he should happen upon one. (Which he does quite often)

I've personally taken out a hand full of pigs with a .22 mag to the ear- it will do the trick, no tracking.
    Yote? Never done it myself but if it was close I'm sure it would work. I wouldn't purposely go coyote hunting with one though, but that’s me.

Great looking gun, I really like laminated stocks like that.

Comment

I have a scoped Marlin in .22 mag - love it Taken turkey, hogs and a yote or two. I'm pretty comfortable with it out to 75yds or so. Better go for head shots on squirrels especially with hollow points - won't be much left otherwise.

Comment

22mag is a great varmint gun.

Comment

either will work

Comment

I like both of my .22s. Both are Marlin 81 series bolt action and they are awesome. I can knock the center out of a clay pigeon at a hundred yards, and (I have witnesses) I even folded a clay pigeon at 200 yards with it (yes, I held about 12" - 14" high.
            I'm sure it would make short work of a yote, and I agree with the head shot on the squirrels. I used to shoot prairie dogs in NoDak with it and what I found was that a gut shot wasn't pretty. It's only about a 30 grain slug, but it sure is fast!

Comment

I've killed several Coyotes with my 22mag (9422mag)

Although it is limited on range! Just use the hollowpoints when hunting coyotes and use the full metal jackets if you are going for squirrel !

Comment

That is a great looking rifle. Should'nt have a problem with either caliber. I say shoot the cool looking rifle.

Comment

Hey Bonedigger,
                  I don't think it will work. You better sale me the gun and get one that will (haha). A coyote isn't that big. It should work just fine. I sold a 9422 win. mag. and have kicked myself ever since. Those are some fine little rifles.

Comment

I have killed several coyotes and several hogs with my 22 mag. I really enjoy shooting it and I have a 3X9 40mm scope on it.

Comment

THe 22 mag has alot more energy(velocity) than the 22LR. I have taken coyotes with my 22mag. It doesn't lay them down like my 6MM Rem but is effective out to 100yds.

Comment

I got hired to kill coyotes that were coming in to eat a ranchers 1000 head of sheep one winter in Canada. I shot between 3 and 4 a day and used a 22 mag on them all. It ended up becoming the rifle I carried in my dog sled when I started trapping. Great cailber....shot a couple wolves and lots of lynx with it too.

Comment

It is a great caliber and I would be willing to bet even though it is illegal it has probably killed more deer in the USA than any other caliber as well.

Comment

If I had that gun, I'd be happy. If I were buying, I'd buy the .17HMR. I LOVE that little caliber.

Comment

Jaspro

I would bet that more moose have been killed by Indians and trappers in Canada using a 22 mag than any other caliber too.

Comment

Working...
                              X