Food Plot advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot advice

On the farm I hunt in Kansas there is a half acre spot that the farmer quit planting between an old railroad track and a small wood lot. Perfect for a food plot.
    Problem is I can't plow it up and plant at the optimum time. I'm heading up there next week to check cameras. Will only be there one day. The plot is grown up in native grasses. What if anything can I throw in there to draw the deer? Is it even feasible to do so with all the crops (corn & soybeans) growing around it.
    I really would like to have something growing in there for my hunt in November but can't run up to plant a fall plot.
    Might be best to wait until my September hunting trip to braska to sling some Throw n Grow. What you guys think?
    I'm betting a fall plot lush and green after all the crops are out will be a magnet!

If it used to be planted deer should still come in there and eat anyways

Comment

I would go to the game management section Corey, there are a few pretty sharp guys that may be able to help you out. I would think you could find something that will grow my only concern is if you cant plow you need to get it started soon or the roots wont be established before the first good frost/freeze then all your work may be in vain. Good luck, let me know what you come up with I have several spot that are similar on the places I hunt in Kansas.

Clay

Comment

I would think wheat, rye and triticale would work.

Comment

I bet you could just broadcast some oats or wheat and it would come up in the winter, as long as you had some soil contact.

Comment

iff as dry as Texas do not waste your time

Comment

Working...
            X