Warhorse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warhorse

For those that follow the green screen you've more than likely seen TC pics of this buck. I chased him hard last year, and just couldn't seal the deal. At the end of last season I really thought I had lost him to natural causes. However he showed back up in mid June. The planning started the day I saw his pic. The things I did last year, really helped in sealing the deal this year. Two major things I feel that helped were: 1) getting to the stand crack head early:-) Last year I was sitting by 6am this year I tried be in the stand by 515-530. 2) I did not use the zipper on my Carbon Venture.Instead I kept the door closed with a single clothes pin. This allowed me to get in the area early and with ZERO sound. In the end it all worked out. They say it is the journey and not the destination. I learned a lot about bowhunting, and about myself chasing this animal.

The Warhorse:

Saturday Morning found me setup ready to go by 530. The feeder sounded at 6.50 and I did not see a deer until 7.20 when a group of does started to filter into my shooting lanes. Not long after the does showed so did the 7. He came in and skirted the sides of the pen, feeding here and there. After about 5 mins he walked up to the pen, looked at the does feeding, did a 180 and left the scene. I sat until 9am hoping for a return, but he did not show. Saturday evening was a fun sit, didn't see much, but talking with several folks via text message was a blast.

Sunday morning I awoke from my drunken state still a bit light headed. The 55 deg Artesia Wells shower fixed that! I had everyone dropped off and was on the way to my stand by 520. I was settled and waiting by 540. With the moon as bright as it was I could see the pen and feeder in front of me. 630 rolls around and I hear a crunch. Pearing through the mesh I could make out the back end of a deer. Then the half tail flicked. The 7 is the only bob tailed deer I had pics of at the local so I was hoping it was him. He confirmed this by lifting his head enough that I could see his rack in the moonlight. I was pumped! Not long after I figured out it was in fact the 7, the ol boy decided to bed down not 20 yards from my pop-up. I could see him looking around and flicking his ears. It was a very intense 20 minutes until the feeder went off. When it sounded he jumped in and started to feed. Shooting light was still at least ten minutes out when he was spooked by a sneezing forkhorn. He left the scene in a hurry, but was back in less than a minute. Again he spooked, but again he came right back. At 21 yards he quartered away and gave me that perfect look. Hit him 5th rib back and exited the point of the offside shoulder. He gave a perfect kickout and then jumped the fence on the pen. As soon as he hit the ground he did a face plant and then drove his body forward another 30 yards. It was surreal. After the shot I sat down and thanked my pops. I know he was looking down for that one. First deer I have taken since Dad passed and to not be able to pick up the phone and share the good news with him like I've done so many times before really sank in. However some of my best bros were there to share in the excitement. When tears are shed over an animal you know it was a good one. This buck was truly a warhorse. His face shows the signs of multiple fights. Slashes and puncture wounds all over both sides of his face, and he was blind in one eye. We did not get him on scales but I'm 100% positive he was over 200 on the hoof.

His final gross at Los Cazadores was 133 5/8's With 25 inch beams, a 19 inch spread, and 6 inch bases.
    Attached Files

I am still in awe of that old beast. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats again Junebug! I would rather kill a big old giant 7 or 8 pt than anything else right now. That buck is perfect!

Comment

That was a heck of a story and a great buck. I don't like to think about the day I won't be able to call my dad to tell him I put a buck on the ground, and I am sure its not easy, but I would bet he was giving someone high fives up there that morning. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Junebug_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	23815300

While I'm at it, let me pass this one on to you also...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Junebug_002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	23815301

Comment

Nice ole cull trophy

Comment

Congrats Junebug on harvesting this guy, and having everything come together after you've worked very hard toward it. Good story. Man I get a lump in my throat as I read this because I know some day I probably won't be able to call my Dad either as I always do when it's time to go trail something.

Comment

job well done right there, congrats!!

Comment

Congratulations again on a great one, JB!
                  Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Wow what a buck, Bug. Congrats

Comment

Great buck, nice pics too.

Comment

Congrats. He should get you a jacket for sure.

Comment

Great looking deer . Will look great on the wall .

Comment

Congrats on a heck of a buck!

Comment

nothing better than getting the one your after congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X