Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Reload Ladder Testing...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to post on this subject just to make sure I have my thinking right and am doing it right.... 6.5 Grendel, Reloader 15, AMAX 123 boat tail, lapua brass, federal match primers.

I loaded ten different charges of two rounds... example: two@ 27, two@27.3, two @27.6.... etc etc etc. They are in three grain increments.. All the exact same except for the powder charge.

I will then use a large say foam board about the size of a poster board, run a vertical line down the center, then a few horizontal lines across the board spaced the same length apart. I'm going to stick a small orange sticker target on the vertical line about 3/4 way up the poster board...

AT WHAT RANGE IS OPTIMUM TO SHOOT A LADDER TEST?

I then snipe at the given range at the orange sicker target only and let the shots fall where they may...

DO I USE TWO IDENTICAL TARGET POSTER BOARD SET UPS AND SHOOT ONE ROUND OF EACH TEN I HAVE LOADED AT EACH TARGET TO GET TWO POA / POI REFERENCES? OR LOAD MORE AND SHOOT 3 SHOT GROUPS AT EACH TARGET?

At the conclusion of the testing I should be able to see clearly a given powder charge range where it gets closest to the accuracy node my barrel likes... not saying they will be closet to the POA, but we will be looking at the tightest POI... correct??

SCHOOL ME, PREFECT MY THINKING / TEST HERE...

Thank you in advance! - (CAP TYPING IS QUESTIONS I NEED AN ANSWER TOO....)

I would shoot at 100 yards.
    Since your load/consistency testing I would fire a minimum of 3 like rounds at your targets; i generally shoot 5 when i load test. Preferably set up a different target for each load. However If you can distinguish all your shots in 2 different targets then get after it. Just makes it a little easier if you have the time to create a separate target for each load.

Comment

You would be correct if you were shooting for accurate groups... As I understand it though this type ladder testing is for finding the accuracy node for your barrel. Shooting one of each different load at the same target using the same point of aim (POA) you should end up with a clear reference of a certain say 1 grain range that is most accurate out of your barrel. After this test is complete and you find that 27 grains to 27.7 grains grouped together and the tightest, you know your accuracy node is somewhere in that range with this given powder. NOW you would go back and reload 5 shot groups of each in this range and test them on different targets, probably a few times over again to find the most consistant tightest MOA group with your powder your using. After that, you find that say 27.3 grains is most accurate, you play with seating depth to tighten the group to the best you can get it, then you should be sitting with your most accurate load with the combination of powder, bullet, primer that your testing....

Correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
        I wanted to post on this subject just to make sure I have my thinking right and am doing it right.... 6.5 Grendel, Reloader 15, AMAX 123 boat tail, lapua brass, federal match primers.

I loaded ten different charges of two rounds... example: two@ 27, two@27.3, two @27.6.... etc etc etc. They are in three grain increments.. All the exact same except for the powder charge.

I will then use a large say foam board about the size of a poster board, run a vertical line down the center, then a few horizontal lines across the board spaced the same length apart. I'm going to stick a small orange sticker target on the vertical line about 3/4 way up the poster board...

AT WHAT RANGE IS OPTIMUM TO SHOOT A LADDER TEST?

I then snipe at the given range at the orange sicker target only and let the shots fall where they may...

DO I USE TWO IDENTICAL TARGET POSTER BOARD SET UPS AND SHOOT ONE ROUND OF EACH TEN I HAVE LOADED AT EACH TARGET TO GET TWO POA / POI REFERENCES? OR LOAD MORE AND SHOOT 3 SHOT GROUPS AT EACH TARGET?

At the conclusion of the testing I should be able to see clearly a given powder charge range where it gets closest to the accuracy node my barrel likes... not saying they will be closet to the POA, but we will be looking at the tightest POI... correct??

SCHOOL ME, PREFECT MY THINKING / TEST HERE...

Thank you in advance! - (CAP TYPING IS QUESTIONS I NEED AN ANSWER TOO....)

i would go at least 500 yards....The further you go the easier it is to see the ladder test. I used a 4' x 8' piece of OSB ($7) and put a line down the center. you don't want to run out of target room.

When i did my latter test i just loaded 1 round of each. Shoot 1 round and then go mark it on the target. shoot another and go mark it on the target and so on. It takes time but you don’t want to rush anything and try and take the most consistent shots possible.

Comment

Thats sounds right... My problem is I'm limited to a 300 yard range thats 3 min from the house. I'd have to take a day trip or weekend trip somewhere else to be able to get further... I think your right though on the longer distance. It would show more.

Comment

You would be correct if you were shooting for accurate groups... As I understand it though this type ladder testing is for finding the accuracy node for your barrel. Shooting one of each different load at the same target using the same point of aim (POA) you should end up with a clear reference of a certain say 1 grain range that is most accurate out of your barrel. After this test is complete and you find that 27 grains to 27.7 grains grouped together and the tightest, you know your accuracy node is somewhere in that range with this given powder. NOW you would go back and reload 5 shot groups of each in this range and test them on different targets, probably a few times over again to find the most consistant tightest MOA group with your powder your using. After that, you find that say 27.3 grains is most accurate, you play with seating depth to tighten the group to the best you can get it, then you should be sitting with your most accurate load with the combination of powder, bullet, primer that your testing....

Correct..... This is what I did all the way until you get to the seating depths part. I quit after the 5 shot groups but 1-1/2" 5 shot group at 500 yards is good enough for me.

Comment

Thats sounds right... My problem is I'm limited to a 300 yard range thats 3 min from the house. I'd have to take a day trip or weekend trip somewhere else to be able to get further... I think your right though on the longer distance. It would show more.
              well 300 is better than 100. What is your max range with the 6.5?

Comment

Half inch at 500 makes me happy. Thats where I am trying to go. A 3 inch group or less at 1000 yards will flatter me.

Comment

The 6.5 Grendel is ballistically close to the .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor.... So given the right load it will do 1000 for sure.

I have three different varminter rigs I'm working on right now and not enough time to do it as I would like cuz some of us have this **** thing called work we gotta go do most of the time. I'm working on this 6.5 Grendel AR, a Sako varminter 22-250, and Sako Varminter .243.

The 22-250 I have the load for. I'm doing .210 MOA at 300 Yards. I haven't had the chance to get it our further yet. I'm trying to get the 6.5 Grendel and .243 smoking at 300 too before I take the three of them out further.

Comment

ok i was just checking because i dont know anything about the 6.5.

let me know if you do shoot 3" at 1000 because i want one.... I'll be happy with 10" at 1000. The farthest i've had my 308 is 600 and 3" is about all i could do that day.

Comment

HA! My 6.5 is in an AR platform all custom built. I'd be shocked it I every shot a 3 inch group at 1000 with it. The caliber can do it given the right bolt gun set up IMO, but in the AR platform if it max's out at 800 accurately I'll be happy.

Comment

I've talked to a few guys that have the 6.5 in the AR platform though and they swear they've shot coyotes and stuff out at 800-1100 yards with it. Who knows though. Mine will go through the test eventually though.

Comment

Scratch what I said as I see what you're after now d and b! For the ladder test I'd fire 1 round each of your progressive loads at a single target. With a 10 round string you should be able to determine your node. If you have the ability to mark each one that would be the ticket, even though it would take more time. If its a public range close to your house that would make for a long range trip with the cease fires and all. Also agree that 300 yards should be your minimum.
                          Great choice on the 6.5 Grendel too. That was going to be my next build after I finished the .264 win mag project I've got now. However the current AR market has that project on hold.

Comment

I've talked to a few guys that have the 6.5 in the AR platform though and they swear they've shot coyotes and stuff out at 800-1100 yards with it. Who knows though. Mine will go through the test eventually though.
                            WERE THEY DRINKING???? I guess i need to look into this round for my next ar build

Comment

Are you shooting out of an AR platform or a bolt gun? After your done with that the biggest thing you need to do for accuracy is try different bullet seating depths. You will be more limited in the AR platform than a bolt gun. Also keep in mind they need to still fit in the mag.

Comment

Working...
                              X