Nopalitos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nopalitos

There's a local restaurant here in San Marcos that makes this stuff and its excelent. I decided I'd try it last night but my Bohemian/German background limits me on the quality of Mexican food i'm able to cook. I sauteed some onions, threw in the cactus, then after a while added diced tomatoes, green chilis and pimentos. Results were less than satisfactory. Did I do something wrong or was it probaby the brand I bought? (i don't remember the name) If anyone has any suggestions/recipies they would like to share, I'd love to hear them.

Did you buy fresh or jarred ones the fresh are alot better in my opinion. My mother-in-law refuses to use the jarred kind so when she comes up from the valley I get it fresh at HEB.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jeffe View Post
      Did you buy fresh or jarred ones the fresh are alot better in my opinion....... I get it fresh at HEB.
      Bought jarred... Didn't know you could buy it fresh

Comment

I brown some hamburger meat, then throw in the nopalitos, Ro-Tel tomatoes, some garlic salt and cummin. Eat on a tortilla with melted cheese. YUM YUM!!

Comment

What is a nopalito?

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
            What is a nopalito?
            Prickley Pairs, cactus.

Comment

nopalitos rancheros.....
              2 tablespoons butter
              1/4 cup onions
              1/2 cup fresh cactus pads
              3 eggs
              1/4 cup salsa, plus more, if desired
              1/2 cup Cheddar

In a saute pan heat the butter and saute the onions. Add the cactus pads and cook for 3 minutes. Add eggs and mix together. Then add your favorite salsa and Cheddar.

Comment

this might help....http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/nopalitos.htm

Comment

Clint at HEB look in the produce section alot of times you can find them then. Or look for a mexican meat market in your area you can usually find them there.

Comment

Thanks for the recipies so far. I think the big problem was that they weren't fresh. They had a smell when i dumped them out of the jar... that smell was what I tasted when they were cooked. Nothing like what I remembered them tasting like.

Comment

I always see nopales at all the HEB plus stores...

Comment

I grew up eating this and helping my mom clean them. One of the ways I liked them was with chorizo and eggs. Fry the nopals in lard, not for long or you will crisp them. Add the chorizo and eggs, with corn tortillas and some good ole home made chile, and it's on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by River Bottom Hunter View Post
                          Prickley Pairs, cactus.
                          nopalitos are the cactus pads and tunas are the cactus pears.

Comment

i love nopalitos rancheros,but never have made it a little over my head.

Comment

Hey Ag, What is the restaurant in San Marcos? Almost every meal we eat out is in San Marcos.

Comment

Working...
                              X