PDA

View Full Version : Can I shoot an owl?

TXJon
02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
This might be the first time someone asked this kind of question before they actually did it.

Last night the wife went to bed before I did. About 1/2 hour later she comes downstairs and tells me something is in the chickens, and I need to go check it out.

I grab a light and a .45 loaded with shot shells (not the best choice, but it was handy) and go busting outside to see what's up.

On the roof of my chicken coop an owl, a great big one, is standing on one of my guineas, about to chow down.:eek: The owl sees me and moves to the top of a tree about 6-7 yds away. I have it in the light, in the sights, and then got to thinking shooting it maybe wasn't the best idea.

This is not the first time I have lost a bird to an owl.:mad: Can I take him out?

River Bottom Hunter
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Varmiiittt. Shoot don't tell.

Luck_of_the_Draw
02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
No.:cool:

SSS:rolleyes:

cosmiccowboy
02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
You would have to shoot, shovel, and shut up. The only birds you can legally shoot are legal game birds (in season) and english sparrows. Virtually everything else is protected.

Fishndude
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Maybe a couple of the game wardens who visit this site can tell you. :) I think you better build somethin' for the guineas to hide under or in.

kfd82
02-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I "think" you can kill any animal that is threatening your livestock. Or chickens in this case.
My advise... sss

In about two weeks casually call tpw and ask them. :)

Teuf
02-25-2008, 05:36 PM
You'd need a permit, which you can get if an owl (not an endangered one mind you, but sounds like a great horned from the size and the ability to nail a guinea) is killing your poultry. If you get the permit, I think you have to take the dead owl to the TPW and forfeit it. If they let you keep it, be an awesome mount.

Philip-TX
02-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Go to duckhunter dot net and go to the Texas flyway forum. search for owl and pm auto.

He (Auto) can tell you the name or the federal warden that visited his house after he hit an owl with his truck and posted a pic of it. Probably has an atty referal for interntet owls. :)

Agent steve Hamilton should be looking you up soon.

wacm
02-25-2008, 05:47 PM
im pretty sure you can kill anything that is eating your livestock or farm animals. we had the same probs when i was growing up and my dad never held back.

W-L-F
02-25-2008, 05:47 PM
only if you can hit it---just keep it quite

wilded
02-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Federal and State protected. The fines and jail time or not a slap on the hand if convicted.

txtimetravler
02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
deprerdation of your animals. I would say shoot it and don't tell.

My parents have guineas too :)

Africanbowhunter
02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Too late now they will show up with a warrent about midnight

tink

Bily Lovec
02-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Go to duckhunter dot net and go to the Texas flyway forum. search for owl and pm auto.

He (Auto) can tell you the name or the federal warden that visited his house after he hit an owl with his truck and posted a pic of it. Probably has an atty referal for interntet owls. :)

hheheheheeee

ive been waiting on that :eek: :eek: :D

wilded
02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I cannot believe the amount of people on here that advise someone to break both Federal and State game laws. :(

Cotton
02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Amazing the advice you are getting here... but then they won't be facing the Federal pen time and/or fines either. Just having one feather from an owl can get ya in deep @#@&! Call the local GW and take care of it the right way.

TXJon
02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Too late now they will show up with a warrent about midnight

tink

That would work out fine, the owl should be about halfway through tonight's guinea about that time;)

I meant it when I told you all I didn't shoot it. If I had, I wouldn't be asking any questions!

I have a hen house, but guineas are hard to get inside.

This owl stood about 2' tall, and had a wingspan of 4-5'. It was mostly light brown, with darker streaks.

I guess tonight I'll speak sternly to it, and threaten legal action.:p Maybe I should post a "No Owls" sign.

wilded
02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
It will not leave as long as their is an abundant food supply. It operates in the dark and any poultry will have to be protected or they will die. There were recently a large group of pigeon fanciers in California that are spending a fortune on attys and fines for killing raptors killing their pigeons. If it were me I would build a night shelter as obtaining a permit to trap and move will takes many months. A permit to kill a raptor is almost impossible to obtain today.

River Bottom Hunter
02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
That would work out fine, the owl should be about halfway through tonight's guinea about that time;)

I meant it when I told you all I didn't shoot it. If I had, I wouldn't be asking any questions!

I have a hen house, but guineas are hard to get inside.

This owl stood about 2' tall, and had a wingspan of 4-5'. It was mostly light brown, with darker streaks.

I guess tonight I'll speak sternly to it, and threaten legal action.:p Maybe I should post a "No Owls" sign. Where's PETA when you need them. See what you got here is a case of that Owl not honoring those Guineas rights. I'll call right now. lol

brshcntryhntr
02-25-2008, 06:32 PM
I don't think so.

Bones
02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Amazing :(

mjames76
02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
nevermind...

TX_Kevin
02-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I guess tonight I'll speak sternly to it, and threaten legal action.:p Maybe I should post a "No Owls" sign.

That's the correct approach. When you put the signs up, make sure you post it in both English and Spanish! :D

bowhuntntxn
02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
i would strongly advise against it. i almost got arrested for having a hawk feather, that I found laying on the ground, while getting checked dove hunting. it is illegal to kill, own or possess any plumage of ANY birds of prey.

KingsX
02-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Hell No!
They will hang you for it in Texas! lol
Never hurts to ask though.

Smart
02-25-2008, 07:17 PM

LMAO........

txbowkill
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
paintball gun and he wont come back :D

Jaspro
02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Do what the folks who raise fighting cocks do. Stick you a tall pole, usually a 2" piece of pipe up in the middle of the pen. Make sure it is the tallest thing in the pen. Attach a steel leg trap to the top of it. :D:D

Seriously though why would you get in trouble for posting a pic of an animal you hit with your truck? I am trying to get to that post to read it.

Phillip or someone else a member over there can you post up a link to the story? Have to register to post and it says registration is turned off until February 4 2008. Hasn't that already passed? :D

GR5
02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Ya'll are almost funny. Shoot the sucker and keep your mouth shut

Leon County Slayer
02-25-2008, 07:53 PM
I believe pigeons are open game year round and spoke with one guy who eats them and says they are quite good.....odd

Cotton
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
What's is funny that has to be the best use of guineas I've ever heard of! :D

paintman
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
ya let that owl show sat afternoon at the granger ranger hunt and see what happens lol seriously i think you could shoot it if its eating your livestock, the game ward would know for sure,just call texas parks and wildlife

wilded
02-25-2008, 08:14 PM
How many times does someone have to tell you guys it is illegal to kill it. I don't care what it eats. You can not kill it. If you are convicted you will serve time. You can not even have an owl feather unless you have a permit and License. It is illegal to posess, kill or trap any raptor on both the Federal and State level. It will get you in a lot more trouble than poaching and in a lot of peoples eyes is much worse. I hope the wardens that lurk on this site are taking notes. It makes me sad.

DrenalinJunkie
02-25-2008, 08:16 PM
negative on the owl killing.

Smart
02-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Seriously though why would you get in trouble for posting a pic of an animal you hit with your truck? I am trying to get to that post to read it.

Phillip or someone else a member over there can you post up a link to the story?

Enjoy your read.......

An Owl, a Powerstroke and Insanity (http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=430580&highlight=Hamilton)

chrisgunguy
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
My answer is no.........while moving my head up and down signaling a yes.

BO-N-ARO
02-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Heck ya, go ahead and shoot him ........then take him to Chance Love and he will mount him for ya! :)

Jaspro
02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Holy Crap Smart! That is insane! makes you think twice about the joking aorund we do here HUH?

Smart
02-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Holy Crap Smart! That is insane! makes you think twice about the joking aorund we do here HUH?

Yes it does.....and you can bet your arse they are watching .........watching all types of hunting and fishing sites for leads.......

TXJon
02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Enjoy your read.......

An Owl, a Powerstroke and Insanity (http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=430580&highlight=Hamilton)

:eek: I read that whole thing, and I feel like I should repeat that
I DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE OWL. I WILL NOT DO ANYTHING TO THAT OWL OR ANY OTHER OWL, EVER!

In fact, I apologize for even asking the question! I can go get another guinea for about $3. I'll just get some extra next time, for the owls:rolleyes:

All you people with the terrible suggestions are just BAD PEOPLE! SHAME on you!

Jaspro
02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
You might want to move before morning Jon. :D

Smart
02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
:eek: I read that whole thing, and I feel like I should repeat that
I DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE OWL. I WILL NOT DO ANYTHING TO THAT OWL OR ANY OTHER OWL, EVER!

In fact, I apologize for even asking the question! I can go get another guinea for about $3. I'll just get some extra next time, for the owls:rolleyes:

All you people with the terrible suggestions are just BAD PEOPLE! SHAME on you!

lol....

Atfulldraw
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Without giving any legal advice -- I would never, and I mean, NEVER consent to a search.

A good officer (and even a bad one, for that matter) can always find a way to "extend" his search.

That sounds like a nightmare.

River Bottom Hunter
02-26-2008, 06:13 AM
lol....

Nice knowing you. We will send prison mail to you. lol:D

LostHawg
02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
So, does this mean I can sue the fed for the owl that flew out in front of me and dented my truck? :D It was a significant collission...

Bily Lovec
02-26-2008, 07:13 AM
well, Jon..

which recipe did you end up going with ?

personally,
I like the snail darter cream sauce...

TXJon
02-26-2008, 07:20 AM
So, does this mean I can sue the fed for the owl that flew out in front of me and dented my truck? :D It was a significant collission...

From reading that other thread, it looks like it goes the other way. You owe the feds one owl.

LostHawg
02-26-2008, 07:30 AM
From reading that other thread, it looks like it goes the other way. You owe the feds one owl.

I think these yahoos are mistaken about what wildlife management really is. They constantly elevate the life of a stupid animal above that of a human. Its pathetic in the truest sense.

jpbruni
02-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Airsoft guns do a great job of discouraging predators and there is no chance of killing them. This is perfectly legal and humane. They get tired of getting stung every time they land on the coop :eek:. Pretty soon they give up.

J.P.

Hunt NXS
02-26-2008, 07:56 AM
English and spanish, thats funny!

LostHawg
02-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Sure makes you less critical about those on welfare doesn't it? One stupid bird eating your poultry has more rights than you providing for your own sustenance? That nuisance bird eats your food and you can do nothing about it?

As for having a feather in your posession, that's just stupid. But, they said the same about having an elk antler when I was living in New Mexico...

ByronF
02-26-2008, 08:23 AM
What if the owl is in a high fence?

3rdShot
02-26-2008, 08:27 AM
"SSS" where the first "S" should mean SHUT UP!! rather than the usual Shoot/Shovel/Shut up

In the owl topic on the Refuge, it went from taking a humorous picture of a roadkill owl, to becoming a possession issue of an illegal bird in the letter of the law, and the stormtrooping agent took the stance that from that moment ol' auto was a low-down lawbreaker, so Agent Hamowlton did everything in his power to find something to bring up a charge.

That kind of heavy-handed activity just makes hunters see Wildlife Agents in a bad light. I've been checked numerous times in the field, never been written, most times the wardens are pretty conversational, shooting the breeze with you a bit as they do their job. One time a guy on a dove hunt had neglected to put the plug back in his shotgun after taking it out the previous time he used it, for the extended snow goose season...both parties understood it was an oversight, but a ticket was issued, no problems.

The time that I remember most though, I was checked on Lake Buchanan(twice, early then later in the day by the same warden), we had a few sandies and cats, well within our limit, but he was in a grumpy, terse, having-a-bad day mood, after checking our licenses and life jackets, took all the stuff out of all the underseat and floorboard storage(both times), checked everyplace he could think of, but couldn't find anything wrong, both times just got back in his boat and left without a word. I know it's a tough job sometimes, but those kind of checks are the ones that stick with you.

DTala
02-26-2008, 08:41 AM
while illegal and should not be done...NO ONE EVER did 'time" for killing an owl.

Fines..yes, time...NO

big_smith
02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Please don't anyone lump all Game Wardens, or law enforcement in general into the same group as that jerk from the other site. Bad cops give good cops a bad name. There should always be a reasonableness standard when enforcing any law. I'm also sure that there are two sides to every story. My advice is not to mess with the owl, even if a Texas GW tells you it is OK. That is because the Feds don't care what Texas GW's tell you. Don't post anything about doing any harm to birds of prey on any public forum. The ultimate advice is do your best to kill them with kindness when the GW comes calling. Unfortunately there is such a thing as a POP ticket. As a cop what that means if you don't know already.

onetime
02-26-2008, 08:52 AM
just put up an owl decoy so the owl won't come back :p

Texas Tracker
02-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Put a big cat decoy on your hen house and he will not be back.

kfd82
02-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I can let you use my Black Panther for a week or so. :)
Please PM me for rental pricing!

wilded
02-26-2008, 09:38 AM
while illegal and should not be done...NO ONE EVER did 'time" for killing an owl.

Fines..yes, time...NO

You are right, they have been sentenced to time in jail and placed on probation. The California cases may be the first for them to go to jail. The fines are enough in some cases to ruin you for life. It is still breaking a game law whether you agree or not.

Hafernick
02-26-2008, 09:38 AM
It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission....

Snakelover
02-26-2008, 09:41 AM
I think you better build somethin' for the guineas to hide under or in.Sounds like the best solution to me. Even if you did get rid of one owl (and I'm certainly NOT advocating that), it would only be a matter of time before another owl, hawk, bobcat, coyote, stray dog, etc. takes its place. The owl is just doing what its supposed to do. I think you're probably going to keep having the problem until you derive some way to protect your guineas from predation.

Bobcat
02-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Was riding home last-night and listening to Lars Larson (sp?) on AM radio.
He was ranting about people not being allowed to carry guns on to federal lands such as National Wildlife Refuges. He was really getting with it and giving this wildlife official (a hunter and gun owner) heck about the ban on guns on some federal lands because he couldn't see why a person would be a threat to protected animals.

Sometimes the law men catch as much flack has the law breakers.

LostHawg
02-26-2008, 10:04 AM
I think the lawmen catch more flak. But, I think that if we don't voice our concerns we'll become dictated rather than regulated. ;)

Hot4huntin
02-26-2008, 10:16 AM
WOW! That story is wild.

Sorry about your owl problem, TxJon! We've had bobcats and coyotes make a good dent in our chicken/turkey population, but at least we can capture them in a live trap.

Another bird of prey story~

Several years ago, a family had a hawk build its nest in a tree in their front yard. It would try and attack them as they entered or left the house. It ended up get caught in the daughter's hair and scratching her up enough that it required a trip to the ER. They called TP&W and Bobby and another GW had to go and remove the nest and the baby hawks from the tree and take them to a rehabilitator. Once the nest was removed, the mother hawk left. I'm pretty sure that Bobby was not thrilled to have to put his tree climbing skills to use after many years. :)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w164/Hot4huntin/bobhawk.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w164/Hot4huntin/bobhawk2.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w164/Hot4huntin/babyhawk.jpg

Africanbowhunter
02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
There is a game wardens wife on TBH and she don't miss a trick.
Auchtung!

LostHawg
02-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Dena is one of the hardest working bowhunting advocates in the state. She's earned her voice. ;)

DBHIII
02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission....

Funny you mention that. Thats what I tell my lil cousins about going huntin!:D

SaltwaterSlick
02-26-2008, 11:21 AM
What LostHawg said!

Africanbowhunter
02-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I think the original words before I actually did it

Sounds like Grand Jury Stuff to me

Bill
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
This is one doc listing birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Never knew it existed- I learn something every time I log in to TBH.

I think the answer is 'no', I don't know how TX law on protecting your livestock applies to federal laws.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrnltr/mbta/cnvntion.pdf

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080121180228AAAEGbR

Hafernick
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Funny you mention that. Thats what I tell my lil cousins about going huntin!:D

I wouldn't ever shoot an owl they are pretty animals....And would not incriminate my self by asking whether or not you could shoot something that was possibly protected, on a public forum. But that's just me....

kfd82
02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
.And would not incriminate my self by asking whether or not you could shoot something that was possibly protected, on a public forum. But that's just me....

I dont think finding out the law is incrimnating. I think he was smart to ask. Now he knows he cant touch it and will move on through proper legal channels.

trophy8
02-26-2008, 11:52 AM
wilded...your starting to sound like peta now. its one owl. and its ruining a source of income or whatever a dang guinea is good for:D its not gonna end the world. im sure if you went down to your local tpwd office they would have a gamewarden come remove it. they wont klill it i dont think but trap it and take it somewhere else.

donpablo
02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
As for having a feather in your posession, that's just stupid.

I have to agree. It's one thing to prohibit the possession of body parts that would indicate the killing of a protected animal, but something that that an animal periodically sheds (like antlers) is overkill. I'm inclined to agree with the paintball idea (that paint is nontoxic, right?).

Cotton
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Since most birds brought to the point of extinction was for their plumage it make perfect since to me.

trophy8, saying someone is sounding like peta because they believe in following state and federal game laws is ridiculous.

LostHawg
02-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, Cotton, the reference to it being stupid is with a person finding and picking one up in mind. Now, if you've got a handful of them....

My brother had bald eagles living behind his house and they soared overhead everyday. Occassionally, they'd drop a feather in his pasture or yard. Its a shame its illegal for one to pick one of these offcasts up.

Rattler
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Hmmmmm interesting

Smart
02-26-2008, 12:49 PM
its one owl. and its ruining a source of income

Yep....there's a big market for guinea fowl in the US.....

they sell many in Odessa?...:D

west texas mangler
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
they are endangered !!! better shoot that one you may never see one again ;-)