Which Arrows Should I Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Arrows Should I Use?

I have a Legacy Heritage Series Longbow (66", 45# @ 28"), that I will use primarily for hunting. I have a few Easton 1816 Lite aluminum arrows that I am shooting now. Are these the correct arrows for this bow? I am wanting to get some more arrows, but need to make sure that I get the right ones.

for my 45# bows I use 2016 or 2018 in alum. In carbons I shoot 33/55 goldtips ,beman 500 or arrow dynamics trad lites.

Comment

2016's and 2018's are like the 55/75 gold tips of Aluiminum arrows. You can shoot those in just about any bow I think. I shoot the goldtips in a #46 recurve,#56 longbow,#57 recurve. I have shot the 2018's, and 2016's in the same bows as well. Just have to adjust tip weight most of the time.

Comment

I like the skinny bemans or eastons try the 500 with 150grain head

Comment

I am getting fairly decent groups at 15 yds, but they are consistently about 4-5" to the left. Is this an arrow spine issue?

Comment

Try canting your bow more and see if that helps.

Comment

It could be the paradox of your bow, longbows often shoot left if you are looking straight down the shaft. If that is what you are doing, train your brain to look slightly left of the intended target. I have to do this when ever I shoot my recurve and then my longbow.

Chris Kiefner

Comment

Are you right or left handed? How heavy point are you using on the arrow? Are you sighting down the arrow or shooting instinctive? 3 under or split finger?

I would think the 1816 would be too weak unless you're only drawing about 25 inches.

Comment

I shoot split fingered. I just look at the spot that I want to hit, and shoot. I do glance down the arrow to make sure I am aligned left to right, for now, until I get to where I do it automatically, if that will ever happen.

I am shooting 100 grain tips, which is what I use on my compound bow. Should I use heavier ones with the longbow?

Canting the bow more did help a lot, but I occasionally hit my upper shirt sleeve with the bow string.

Thanks a bunch for all of ya'lls help.

Comment

Try adding some more weight .

Comment

Are you locking your arm? I had a longbow at the same weight and when i shot aluminum i used 2016's with 125gn head. After a little experimenting got them to fly like darts. I started out with a longer arrow than needed then gradually cut them in 1/4" increments till they paper tuned properly, i adjusted the brace height also till i found the combination the bow liked. I'm not an expert but been shooting traditional a few years and will never go back to compound.

Comment

If you can borrow a 2016 and shoot it it may help in your arrow selection, if you stay with aluminum, or try some 45-50 ceder

Comment

Working...
                        X