Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arrow deflecting off arrow shelf.

Hi all,

I've noticed on my shakespear bow that sometimes the arrows fletching causes it to shoot up as it bounces off the arrow shelf.

Shoots well bareshaft.

Any fix for this?

Quill maybe hitting your rest material. try shooting cock feather in.

Comment

I assume you are using feathers. If so, it might be what Restless said or you might try the opposite helical of what you are using now. If you are using plastic vanes, then you need to go to feathers.

Bisch

Comment

How far are you shooting for the bareshaft test? I like to have them grouping out to 25 yards before I call it good, it's possible that you might be too close for the kicking off the shelf to have a noticeable effect.

I've run into this problem a few times and it's always been because my nock point was too low (I shoot 3 under). Is your shelf radiused or flat? You might need to build it up a bit at the highest point to minimize the contact your arrow has with the shelf on release.

Good luck and let us know what your "fix" ends up being.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try it out and get back to you.

Agtex, My bareshaft was done at about 15 feet. Shelf is radiused. I was shooting vanes but noticed they where getting torn up so I made a few feathered. Shot better but still an issue...

Comment

Nock will hit on over spine arrows as well.

Comment

This has come up a lot lately. Are you shooting 3 under? Do you have a nocking point above the arrow and below the arrow? Arrows, upon release ,can slide down the bowstring a little and "bounce" off the shelf unless you shoot 2 nocking points on the string and cage the arrow. Doesn't cost very much to tie on another nock and a least rule this possibilty out. Here's the video, good luck. -- Tod

Comment

Originally posted by ggenovez View Post
                Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try it out and get back to you.

Agtex, My bareshaft was done at about 15 feet. Shelf is radiused. I was shooting vanes but noticed they where getting torn up so I made a few feathered. Shot better but still an issue...
                I'd be willing to bet if you stepped back to 15 yards you'd see a split between your bareshaft and fletched groups. Tod brings up a good point about the double nockset as well, I can't get my bows to tune without this critical step.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Looks like it could be the arrow slipping. I shoot split, and I tried putting the nock above the nock point, and the problem appears to have gone away.

Comment

Sounds like you've figured out the problem. Adjust the nock accordingly and set it with a second.. You'll be in business

Comment

Working...
                    X