Minimum ethical poundage for deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum ethical poundage for deer hunting

I am finally getting back into archery, especially bow hunting. I had a torn rotator cuff several years ago and had to put my compound away for a long time. I have always wanted to go the traditional route but I couldn't wean myself from the compound. I want to start over fresh with a longbow.
    I won't be hunting with it this year, I want a good year of practice before I start flinging arrows at deer.
    Let me ask the Council of Elders here on this forum. What do you think the minimum ethical poundage for a longbow should be for deer hunting? My shoulder is better but still not 100%. I'm not looking for 50 yard shots. Even with a compound, I used to keep it inside 30.

Thanks

40#

Comment

legaly none. What ever the bowhunter thinks is ethical. But since being that im a kid, at one point shooting 40lbs and a shortdraw,I still felt that about 45lbs was the minimun.

Comment

Shoot with the pounds that you can shoot well...I would rather see someone shooting 30 lbs really well than 50 lbs really bad....

Comment

40ls little practice probally help your shoulders. Good luck!!

Comment

My wife shoots a 36# recurve with Zwicky broadheads and has blown completely thru her doe, buck and a ram over the last hunting season. She smoked them right thru the heart and lungs. I would say that shot placement is everything.

Comment

Location, Location, Location........what Gene said......if the arrow is put in the right place a light poundage bow will suffice. I shoot mid 40's to 50 lbs and still will not take a shot over 15 yards. I know of a big deer (axis) that was taken with a low 30's # recurve last year, but the shot had to be perfect and it was.
              Being able to control the shot is far more important that how much draw weight you're shooting.

Comment

I had an aunt named Ethel...

No, you said "ethical".

Each of us have a different set of standards and objectives.

I think the minimum draw should include a shaft of adequate weight to project a sharp cut on contact head through the beast of which your pursuit involves.

Comment

# is one thing. Bow design and draw length also are a factor.

I have 45# long bow and a 35# recurve, and I get deeper penetration on my foam targe with the recurve. Also when my 13 year old son uses the same recurve, obviously his shots aren't as deep.

So take your gear out and shoot. Then figure out if it's ethical or not.

Comment

Deer are a thin skinned animal & it doesn't take all that much to penetrate for a killing shot.
                    PLACEMENT with SHARP broad heads is more important than mucho poundage.

I shot my first deer with a 29# bow 52 years ago on a 20 yard shot and I was 9 years old.

It's a MYTH and an OPINION to state that you must use "so much certain poundage" to kill a deer.

Comment

40lbs

i get clean pass through with a 45lb bow pulling around 48ish pounds.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                          Deer are a thin skinned animal & it doesn't take all that much to penetrate for a killing shot.
                          PLACEMENT with SHARP broad heads is more important than mucho poundage.

I shot my first deer with a 29# bow 52 years ago on a 20 yard shot and I was 9 years old.

It's a MYTH and an OPINION to state that you must use "so much certain poundage" to kill a deer.
                          I will add that a very well tuned arrow is equally important as everything else in the above quote. I also believe that you should hunt with theist poundage that you cam shoot well with.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            I will add that a very well tuned arrow is equally important as everything else in the above quote. I also believe that you should hunt with theist poundage that you cam shoot well with.

Bisch
                            Dang Bisch,
                            How much you have to drink before you wrote that?

Comment

Working...
                            X