Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum ethical draw weight for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum ethical draw weight for hunting?

What says the TBH braintrust? Traditional equiptment of course.

Originally posted by stickman View Post
    What says the TBH braintrust?
    Brenda Stein killed a record axis buck (157 6/8) with a 31 lb. recurve last year.
    Perfect shot placement.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brenda's axis buck.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	24095749
    Last edited by M-2; 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Wow! That is awesome. If i can avoid a heay draw weight thats all the better. So less than 50 is sufficient for pass through type penetration? Of course razor sharp broadheads.

Comment

My brother has killed several deer with his 40# composite bow.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
          Wow! That is awesome. If i can avoid a heay draw weight thats all the better. So less than 50 is sufficient for pass through type penetration? Of course razor sharp broadheads.
          Not sure if she got a pass through, my husband was on site to help them find the buck - here's the original thread posted on TBH last year.

See post #17 for this info about Brenda's buck:
          Main beams were 34 1/2" on left, 36" on right, he was a good buck. Final score for TGR is just over 347. Minimum for gold medal is 330.
          ALSO note Tanya's kill in the same thread. I don't recall what poundage she was shooting, though.

Comment

40lbs for me tied with proper.arrow weight.

Comment

40lbs and a sharp broadhead, center lung is dead deer/hog/turkey all day long

Comment

Originally posted by M-2 View Post
                Not sure if she got a pass through, my husband was on site to help them find the buck
                He wasn't hard to find...only went about 60 yards. It wasn't a pass through. The broadhead was stopped by the off-shoulder. It would have been stopped coming from a 70# bow too.

Comment

Good deal. Thank ya'll for the info. It will help me make a decision.

Comment

There really is no exact answer to that question.

My philosophy/opinion is - shoot the most draw weight, that you can comfortably & accurately put in the vitals, and Know The Limitations placed on both you & the equipment you are using.

Follow that simple recommendation, and 20# will work.

Rick

Comment

Cut on contact broad head

Comment

I shoot mid 50s out of my longbow and recurves

Comment

40 is way enough and even lower with proper shot placement.

Shawn.

Comment

40 is plenty if you recognize the limitations and don't take shots that exceed those limits.. For what it's worth I killed my first archery deer with a 30 lb bow, wooden arrow and Ace 125 grain BH... at less than 10 yards...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                              40 is plenty if you recognize the limitations and don't take shots that exceed those limits.. For what it's worth I killed my first archery deer with a 30 lb bow, wooden arrow and Ace 125 grain BH... at less than 10 yards...
                              Sounds great. All of our set-ups/shots are under 12 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X