My First Stickbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Stickbow

I finally bought my first longbow. It is a 66" Legacy Heritage Series, that pulls 45 lbs @ 28".

I have never shot anything other than a compound bow, so this is quite different. I started out at 10 yards this afternoon, and I can fairly consistently get 4 out of 6 arrows in the 10 ring. My groups are a bit larger at 20 yards, which is a gravy shot for my Trykon. I was shooting at a deer target, and I killed him several times, but a few times I gut shot him, and hit him in the rear.

I don't know anything about the proper form for shooting this kind of bow, or aiming it. Does anyone have pictures or video of how its done? I seemed to do better when I didn't think about the shot and just pointed and shot, like I was shooting a slingshot when I was a kid.

b0whunter

Originally posted by b0whunter View Post
    I finally bought my first longbow. It is a 66" Legacy Heritage Series, that pulls 45 lbs @ 28".

I have never shot anything other than a compound bow, so this is quite different. I started out at 10 yards this afternoon, and I can fairly consistently get 4 out of 6 arrows in the 10 ring. My groups are a bit larger at 20 yards, which is a gravy shot for my Trykon. I was shooting at a deer target, and I killed him several times, but a few times I gut shot him, and hit him in the rear.

I don't know anything about the proper form for shooting this kind of bow, or aiming it. Does anyone have pictures or video of how its done? I seemed to do better when I didn't think about the shot and just pointed and shot, like I was shooting a slingshot when I was a kid.

b0whunter
    First congrats on the new bow! Second get the book become the arrow.

This will certainly help you out. I have read it several times and keep going back to it.

Comment

Thanks 2050z! The book is called, "Become the Arrow?"

Is is cold up there in Dallas yet? It is still warm, windy and drizzly here in the Temple area.

Comment

bOwhunter,

Welcome to our world and our little board here. There are lots of books and videos out there on shooting and form. There are also several styles and techniques.

It sounds like you are on your way. Many of us do what you are talking about, just look and shoot with out aiming or thinking too much about it. Some of us hardly think at all in fact Others use the point of the arrow and even a few have sights on their bows.

The most important thing is to have fun and find out what works for you. I would recommend that you go to some of the 3-D shoots or find someone in your area and shoot with them. Beside getting some tips and watch someone else...it is always more fun to shoot with someone else (my opinion).

Comment

Come on Mark, give us some inside information on shooting.

Comment

There are lots of books and videos out there on shooting and form. There are also several styles and techniques.
            There is a brand new vid out; "Masters of the Bare Bow".
            Getting some good reviews, lots of different shooting styles demonstrated.
            3riversarchery has the DVD.
            I have not seen it but plan to get it.

Welcome to the trad side.

Comment

If I can get it down, I would like to be able to just look at the target, not worry about how far it is, draw my bow and shoot. I moved the target back to 15 yds, and most of my shots this afternoon inside the rings on the paper. Once I get used to shooting this bow, I am heading out to do some stump shooting. I will have to get used to pulling this thing back, the letoff on this bow is terrible!

Comment

lol thats becasue the letoff is 100% and welcome to our thread and as someone wise on this forum once said, "trad archery is like cofee those of us that like it can't seem to do without it" and you know what THEY WERE DARN RIGHT Mark everyone talks good about you would love to meet you if your ever down this far (3hrs away)
                Last edited by Daniel Ryan; 11-29-2006, 07:04 PM.

Comment

One more question.....

Can you shoot arrows with plastic vanes instead of feathers with a longbow? I have arrows fletched with feathers now, but I would hate to have to end a hunt because of rain on my feathers.

Comment

bOwhunter, ask as many questions as you can think of. Plastic vanes are not a good idea. I am not saying you can't do it, but when shooting off the shelf, they tend to kick the arrow and cause poor flight. If you want to shoot them, you will probably have to go to an arrow rest. Almost all of us like shooting off the shelf.

Feathers can be effected by rain some, but will dry fairly quickly and if you bow is tuned correctly you can still hunt with wet feathers and expect good flight.

There are also some comerical treatments....flech dry.(powder)..that you can put on to waterproof them. It is not permanent, but will work for a hunt or a little longer. Some guys even use cooking spray like PAM or scotchgard/silicone spray. I have not tried these so I can't say how well they work or if they effect flight or noise.

Comment

bowhunter, no way that would be a sacrilige. you will be immediatley flogged. ; ( . i tried it with my recurve and it didn't do so well. i think traditional bows are alot my critical and the feathers do a better job correcting sloppy form and release. but i may be wrong.

Comment

QUOTE Mark everyone talks good about you would love to meet you if your ever down this far (3hrs away)

Daniel, are you talking about me???????
                        I made that coffee remark and my name is Mark, but rest is a little confusing.

Hopefully a bunch of us will be able to meet at one of the LSBA hunts, Fudd hunt, or one of the big 3-D shoots. If that doesn't work, we will just make it some other time.

Comment

You can shoot vanes according to an article in TBM, if you raise the nock height. But if you shoot a well tuned arrow it doesn't matter if you get the feathers wet. That is basically why the author in the article shot vanes cause he lived in a rainy enviroment. Here is a website that has suggestions on tuning traditional equipment http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm
                          Read all of it, very helpful.
                          Last edited by BowBuddy; 11-29-2006, 11:23 PM. Reason: wrong link

Comment

Personally I have found that carbon arrow like a lot of weight up front.
                            Last edited by BowBuddy; 11-29-2006, 11:42 PM. Reason: Fixed post one more thing

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                              QUOTE Mark everyone talks good about you would love to meet you if your ever down this far (3hrs away)

Daniel, are you talking about me???????
                              I made that coffee remark and my name is Mark, but rest is a little confusing.

Hopefully a bunch of us will be able to meet at one of the LSBA hunts, Fudd hunt, or one of the big 3-D shoots. If that doesn't work, we will just make it some other time.
                              ohh sorry i just ment if you were vere in or going through texarkana give me a call at 903-832-6868 id love to meet ya

Comment

Working...
                              X