Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Close Friend of Mine Is In Desperate Need of Help! Please Read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Close Friend of Mine Is In Desperate Need of Help! Please Read.

This is such a sad, bizarre story. This is a long read, but I felt the only way to quickly get this man help was to turn to my brothers and sisters of TBH. I know everyone goes through some rough spots in life, but my friend is really being tested right now.

Scott is a very kind, intelligent man, who is a good friend that has gone through some incredibly tough times and is now less than 24 hours away from being homeless and on the streets in Houston. He is a man of faith and knows that God will take care of him regardless, but when I heard his story; I knew I was chosen to help this poor man.

I don’t know all of the details, but I will give you what I know and hopefully we can put some sunshine and hope back in this mans life. I’ve known Scott for about 2 ½ years. I met him through some research I was doing while I was putting together a custom drum set. Scott is a drummer and the inventor and patent holder of an ingenious drum lug and mounting system that goes on drum shells. We communicated back and forth for a while and I found Scott to be an extremely intelligent man with an extensive engineering and art background, and we became friends.

He was married and living in Colorado in a beautiful cottage up in the mountains and had what appeared to be a very nice life. Scott also has a homebuilding background and is a designer and manufacturer of a very unique architectural stone product called Scagliola. It is the oldest man-made stone product in the world and looks like travertine stone, but can be made into practically any shape, is very easy to work with and is about 1/3rd the weight of real stone products.

This Scotts website and you can see some of his amazing work. http://www.scagliola.us/scagliolastone.html

I’m telling you all these details for a reason, so please bear with me.

About 2 years ago Scott got pulled over for a DWI and was convicted. Through a very strange set of legal circumstances where he was barely over the legal limit, he lost his drivers license for an entire year. This was basically the beginning of a horrible downward spiral in his life.

He was essentially homebound for an entire year, relying on his wife and friends to transport him places. He eventually went into a very deep, clinical depression. His wife began to drift away and they started having rough times. This only made the depression worse and then they separated. Scott had to move in with a very kind buddy who did the best he could to help him out. He got even more depressed and then he found that a lot of his “friends” were not really that close after all.

His business obviously suffered, he eventually ran out of money, his wife filed for divorce and he just basically gave her everything and said “he would be OK”. I lost touch with him for several months and after many attempts to contact him, I started to fear the worst.

About 4 months ago I got an email from him and he said he was still alive and that he had left Colorado and had moved to Houston and was living with his Mom. I was SO relieved to hear that he was OK! He called me and filled me in on what had happened. He had gotten some treatment for the depression and sounded much better and like the old Scott again. He was working with some people in the Houston Design Center and they were interested in his architectural stone and contracted him to make some fireplaces for them.

He also told me he wanted to start a drum company that was built around his lug design. He was shopping for a vehicle and things sounded like they had finally turned around for him. He came up to Austin for a visit and we had a great time. We played some drums and talked and I got to know him even more. He headed back to Houston and is now determined to move back to Austin (he went to High School here).

His Mom is a little odd and almost every time I would talk with him, he would say something about needing to get out of his Moms house and into a place of his own. She’s been married 5 times and is pretty much a nut job. His Mom did help him get a car and I thought that this would be the time for him to start the next chapter of his new life, but that never had a chance to happen

I called him yesterday morning and he said he and his mom had had an argument, not even a real bad one and she just told him to just leave! No notice, no warning, just to get out. Scott was using her garage to build the scagliola and was right in the middle of a project and she just put him out on the street! The kicker was that she was keeping the car! I have no idea what she was thinking, but this is a 48 year old man that has been through Hell and back, not some 18 yr old kid. This was her Son!

So now he had 2 suitcases and was basically out on the street. He had nowhere to go and very little money and a friend from California thankfully put him up in a Motel 6 and get this! His Mom dropped him off there (??!!) Now he can’t even get over to his Moms house to finish his job; she won’t even pick him up!

He will make a little money from this job and may possibly be able to buy a $500 car or something, but he is really, really in a bad place. To top it all of he has no insurance and his hip is going out on him. The last time he was at the doctors they told him he needed a hip replacement. Now he has to walk (hobble!) to the convenience store and restaurants, through a pretty bad neighborhood, on his bad hip just to eat and buy drinks.

He has been trying to figure out what to do next, but has until Noon today in the hotel and then he WILL BE living on the streets!

I have been frantically trying to figure something out for him and have found a free place for him to stay here in Austin. Crawfish Karl, another TBH’er and dear friend of mine has agreed to let him stay in his ranch house out in Johnson City until he gets back on his feet. I have a couch and some household/kitchen items for him, if I can get him up here. But I just started a new job and am working ridiculous hours and I’m still on training pay so I’m not able to do much for him financially right this minute.

He and I had a long talk tonight and he is holding his head high and believing God will take care of him and that this is part of his journey. This poor man needs some help and some restoration of faith in life, so I am asking you all for some help. Prayers, donations, transportation, a decent used car, ANYTHING that can help out will be a blessing.

The first and most important thing on the list is a place to stay and transportation to his mom’s house so he can finish this job. I will find out where the Motel 6 is and hopefully someone can pick him up and take him over there today.

I have a PayPal account for any donations and at least we could raise enough for him to be able to stay in the Motel long enough to finish the job and get paid. Once he gets paid, we can figure out how to get him up here to Austin.

I’ve seen the power of the Green Screen work miracles many times, so I don’t know what else to do but ask for your help and prayers.

My PayPal account is jpdavidsson@gmail.com
    My phone number is 512-468-1581
    I work all day tomorrow and it will be one of the busiest days at our dealership, but I will try my very best to answer calls, texts and emails.

Thanks VERY MUCH everyone.

J.P.

I should also mention that he LOVES archery and wants to learn to shoot and eventually shoot 3-D.

J.P.

Comment

I'll be calling you.

Comment

Ok

Comment

Just checking in. VERY BUSY AT WORK, but I just booked him in the hotel for 3 more nights. Now he also has some money to make the next move. Thank all of you who have prayed and donated so far and God Bless You.

I spoke to him earlier and he is overwhelmed and in awe of the generosity of the people on this amazing site!

J.P.

Comment

More prayers for your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
              More prayers for your friend.
              x2

Comment

prayers sent

Comment

Update: His hotel is paid for for 2 more nights, but a sound vehicle, a bed and a window unit A/C are top priorities. He saw his Mom today and she will not let him have his own bed! (did I mention she was psycho?) Scott says she has done this her whole life and that it is a control issue. I still cannot fathom putting your own son out on the streets. I mean this man is a hard worker and he was just getting back on his feet.

So does anyone have a spare/2nd vehicle. Not asking for a donation. He hopefully will be able to pay $500-$700 someday soon, but right now he is eating on food stamps and we have enough money for only 3 more nights in the hotel and then he is out on the street. The donations so far have been a total blessing and I can't thank everyone enough. Scott is truely overwhelmed by your kindness and generosity.

He said he is 100% going to get a bow and wants to shoot 3-D when he gets his life back together.

Can anyone help with the vehicle, a/c or bed?

Thank you again!

J.P.

Comment

Just seeing this...

PayPal donation & prayers sent

Comment

Hard times suck for sure...wish that I could do more to help with the major needs.

~Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X