ABC Bowhunting in San Saba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABC Bowhunting in San Saba?

How is the hog hunting at San Saba's ABC BOWHUNTING OPERATION ?

I never heard of them, do they have a web page?

Comment

Comment

I'm set for next week. Full report coming.

Comment

How did it go, finatic?

Comment

LostHog has a report on LSBA's site from his hunt last week and here...

Last edited by Cull; 12-13-2006, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Lot of hogs, lot of fun. Not a primitive hunt. Worth the price paid though. I'm planning on going back in the spring or summer.

Comment

is there a number to call to book a hunt or is this a members only ranch?

Comment

I just got back from the ABC Ranch in San Saba.

I arrived Thursday night & Richard Smith (owner) showed me around the Hog Pasture. As best I could figure, it's a low-fenced area that is about 60 acres. I believe he traps wild hogs and populates the pasture with them. The accommodations are fine. You have virtually everything you need, however the TV options are a bit limited for those of you that really like to watch ESPN, etc.

I went by myself, so the time in-between hunts was pretty boring. I did a lot of reading, but it would have been more fun with friends.

After getting up at 5:30 AM on Friday morning, I got turned around trying to find the ground blind I intended to hunt out of. I missed the feeder going off and had to put a stalk on the hogs instead. I got close (so to speak) but they busted me at about 50 yards. It was very cool to hear the squeal of a wild pig as I had never experienced it before.

I then made my way to the ground blind and used the on-demand feeder that is also set up. After about 30-45 minutes, about six does came in to feed on the corn. Now I sat as still as I could as it seemed like they were looking right at me. There were to be no deer shot on this hunt since they had already taken enough does & bucks off the land for this 2006-07 deer season.

It was wonderful for me to watch the does feed at 20-25 yards. I had never seen a deer on hunting land before.

After hanging out for most of the day, I decided to hunt that evening. I sat on a shorter elevated stand by a feeder and was very pleased with all the hogs that came in. I saw many very large hogs late Thursday night on my ranch tour & although I never saw a monster hog while hunting, I did see some nice multi-color hogs. It was very helpful for me to be able to sit & watch the hogs feed like, well, pigs, for 15-20 minutes. Eventually a doe showed up and the hogs scattered. I watched the does feed and then after about an hour in the stand, I stepped down to depart for home.

As I left the ranch for good, I had to go find the owner to unlock the main gate. I did spot at least one really nice buck. I believe it was an 8-pt. and was in the high-fenced area outside the Hog Pasture. I think the ABC Ranch has just under 500 acres total.

I won this hunt on the LSBA membership drive to 1,000. While I really enjoyed the hunting, I learned a very valuable lesson: hunting, by itself, is virtually useless. There must be people involved to make it truly wonderful.

I eventually forfeited the second day of the 2-day hunt, only because it was so close to Christmas and honestly, hunting solo just isn't as much fun (that's why I am going on the LSBA fellowship hunt!).

The only thing that caused me problems was the fact that you have to clean your own hog. I know, I know, that's rule #1 of hunting to most of you bow veterans, but I'm Billy Crystal in City Slickers, Curly. I don't know jack about cleaning a hog. I have never killed anything but a dove and even that I'm not too sure of. The ranch has a great wildlife cleaning facility with almost everything you would need, except knives.

You do get a lot of personal freedom there. The owner will leave your group at the camphouse and let you come & go as you please.

Hydro, to answer your question, no you do not have to be a member to hunt hogs there. Richard Smith is really looking to increase his business and I think the best thing about the ranch is that you will get shot opportunities. The hogs are into the feeders, big-time.

The phone number to Richard Smith's home is 325.628.3565. I believe he lives with his wife on the property.
                  Last edited by McPatrickClan; 12-23-2006, 04:12 PM.

Comment

thanks for the information McPatrick, I'll be giving them a call. Appreciate it.

Comment

You betcha.

Comment

Working...
                      X