My first Kill on the National Forest {SHNF}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Kill on the National Forest {SHNF}

Yesterday my nephew and i hunted the morning in an oak thicket, but the deer and pigs had cleaned the ground of acorns. We did jump 2 pigs on our way back to the truck {one was 300 pounds - biggest i have seen} and we tried to stalk them but they were gone. For the evening hunt we went to a new area of mature oaks and pines. The pig sign was incredible. The tree i had picked out proved no good as it had knots sticking out that would make it hard to climb so I picked another smaller Oak about 60 yards away that was dropping acorns and had sign around it. The was a small Oxbow type ditch about 20 yards away and it was full of stagnant water. At 6:20 PM I saw movement at the far end of the oxbow and it was 2 pigs, quickly followed by 7 more. 8 black and 1 brown and they weighed 30 pounds to about 100 pounds. They took forever to start working toward me and then they sped up and everything happened so quickly. I had already ranged the trees and when the brown pig and a black one came out of the oxbow intot he clear i knew they were 20 yards away. I was in the process of drawing when another pig came from my right even closer. I lowered my bow and settled my 20 yard pin on this pig {aiming for 15 yards}. I released and saw & heard the arrow hit him and he squealed as he bolted to join the other pigs that were running off. I whistled for my nephew to join me and we began the search. i found the arrow about 5 yards from where I shot him. It was completley covered in bright red blood {I think it fell out of him versus a pass through as it was not stuck into the roots of a tree, just laying on them. We searched for about an hour for blood, tracks etc to tell us what trail they took, then we did an area search, no avail, he ran off with the school of pigs. This is my first kill on public land and my first from a climber stand. What an awesome hunt. Woody

If you didn't recover it how do you know it was a "kill"? I've shot 2 that bled like crazy but I never found either one of them. More than likely the wound closed up and they survived.

Comment

congrats!

i dont want to be a BUZZKILL, so i'll give you credit!! (especially since i had one i couldnt find this weekend too!!)

Comment

^5 Buddy! Ive lost a couple..it happens soemtimes

Comment

I think it's ROCKIN'! Public land, feral pig, climbing stand....High 5!

Comment

right on

Comment

Nice article

Comment

Any hit on public lands is an accomplishment, good job!

Comment

I wish we could eradicate all pigs, theres no such thing as an unethical shot on a hogs, so good job, just make sure to aim smaller when its a deer, don't want this to happen to a deer for sure.

Comment

Nice job! I haven't hunted public land in about 15 years, but I remember it was always exciting to set up in a new area of the forest.

Comment

Woody, did you smack it with the recurve?

Good write up, and don't sweat the lost hog. It happens. At least you got your arrow back to stick another with it!

Comment

No, that was before i bought the recurve. I was shooting my Pearson Diamondback compound. I hope to get my first traditional harvest this year. I have a long way to go to become proficient enough to hunt with the recurve. I need to continue practicing. Woody

Comment

Originally posted by DFWarcher View Post
                          I wish we could eradicate all pigs, theres no such thing as an unethical shot on a hogs, so good job, just make sure to aim smaller when its a deer, don't want this to happen to a deer for sure.
                          I've never understood this way of thinking. I realize that pigs are devastating to the habitat, but they're still live creatures. They are merely dumb animals that cannot think, not a Disney type creature that goes around plotting to destroy everything. I know a farmer who hates deer because they destroy his crops. Does that make it ok for him to take bad shots at deer? I also realize that hogs are a non-native spieces here. But they didn't invade on purpose. Humans brought them here. I don't mean they shouldn't be eliminated completely. I just think we should give the same consideration to all animals we hunt, and strive for a quick, humane kill every time and not take questionable shots! That is all.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                            I've never understood this way of thinking. I realize that pigs are devastating to the habitat, but they're still live creatures. They are merely dumb animals that cannot think, not a Disney type creature that goes around plotting to destroy everything. I know a farmer who hates deer because they destroy his crops. Does that make it ok for him to take bad shots at deer? I also realize that hogs are a non-native spieces here. But they didn't invade on purpose. Humans brought them here. I don't mean they shouldn't be eliminated completely. I just think we should give the same consideration to all animals we hunt, and strive for a quick, humane kill every time and not take questionable shots! That is all.

Dave
                            You must of never hunted where the pigs have taken over

Comment

First of all, great story Woody and congrats!!! I must say that I am not as picky on a shot for a hog as I am a deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X