"Flea Trap"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Flea Trap"

For those of you who have indoor pets, you know that the flea problem has been unreal this year, especially for us because of all the sand!! Here is a little trick that might help with those little biters to get them out of your carpet and house!!
    "Flea Trap":
    Take a small jar lid or plastic bowl lid and place dish washing liquid in it about half full and place it under a night light that you plug into the wall (you may do several around the house)!! I guess the fleas are drawn to the light and end up jumping into the "bowl of death" and die !!
    I got this from a lady that works for my cousin who is a vet! It has worked great at my house as well as my mother-in-laws!! Hopefully it'll work for you if you have any fleas (not you your pet )!!

I guess these could go in the recipe thread as well!!!

Comment

sounds logical.

Comment

We have nuclear fleas at our house! I've treated the house, yard and all dogs monthly with Frontline and various different chemicals for the house/yard (future FIL is a bug man so I can get the good stuff applied CHEAP). Nothing has even slowed them down for more than a day or two. I think the problem is with the neighbors not treated their yard. The flea traps didn't work for me either...next plan, last ditch effort really, is DE Powder...it's supposed to kill fleas by cutting them up and dehydrating them. We'll see, but seems like the dehydration part is going to be a waste of time with the rain coming so often.

Comment

fireguy, try spreading sulphur around your fence line. It is suppose to keep the fleas out that your neighbors are not getting rid of.

Comment

Thanks, Ace, I'll look into that. The DE is supposed to do the same by killing them before they cross it. The only concern I have is thatthe fleas fly or jump long distances, so what would stop them from crossing any powder I put on the edges of the yard just by flying over? My plan is to treat the yard completely, and go extra heavy on the edges, and also treat my carpet with the DE. Also planning on dusting the dogs' backs with it.

Comment

Nylar and Promethrin 30 and mix it tripple strength... from Solutions Inc
              make sure no pets or people are around when you do...go to a movie

Nylar is a birth control and the Promethrin 30 kills the live ones. I only have to spray at a max of once a year. The P30 also kills roaches, silverfish etc.

Comment

Great to know! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

What we have used outside is just Borax and cheap powder laundry detergent, mix it and spread it with a yard spreader. It take a little while to work, but it has worked for us. What it does is makes all the eggs infertile, basically stopping any new ones from comming up, and dries out the fleas. But again we usually dont see results for a couple of days. And if it rains it has to be redone. We treat 2-3 times per year and have had very little issue.

Comment

Might have to set them out for a few nights if thay are real bad, but it does work.

Comment

We used to have fleas really bad and then I started using nematodes on the yard. One application usually lasts 3-5 years. I over sprayed my neighbors yard since he had a dog and he said that his flea problem just disappeared. I had to chuckle at that.

Comment

When using the dishwater trap(s), how do you keep the "indoor pets" from drinking from them during the night?

Comment

The only way to get rid of flees is to attack inside your house and outside in the yard with everything you can find. Flee powder for your carpet works well. And sulfer or seven dust for your yard

Comment

X2 to all the above

Comment

Try this

Bones posted this a couple of years back.

"Bayer tree and shrub. I use it to treat the yard and the dogs when there is a break out. It works for both fleas and ticks. It has the same active ingredient as some of the pet meds (frontline, I think) but in a much lower dose. I just put it in a spray bottle and run it down their backs like you would with any of the flea and tick medication.

For preventative maintenance, I feed them garlic powder on their food. You would be surprised how well that keeps the pests off of your pets."

Steve

I tried it and it works great. The active ingredient is imidacloprid. It is the same active ingredient in Advantage Flea Control.

Comment

Working...
                              X