Public Hunting Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Hunting Tips

I was wondering how you guys approach a public hunt. I have never gone on a public hunt, but was just curious on how you hunt them. For example just think of a 5,000 acre place, no baiting, no driving on the place, 3 days to hunt, December time frame, etc.

Thanks in advance.

In East Texas you have to be mobile a climbing stand is a must. You will have to be willing to go further than the other hunters.I use my GPS when scouting to mark rubs, scrapes and any other deer sign that I see. I also look for oak flats and other feeding areas. Fresh deer droppings are a good sign. I also like to hunt the edges of areas where there is a change. It is also a good idea to have a dolly are something to haul your game out of the woods.

Comment

Exellent tips J. Lott!

I also have used a toppo and arial maps. Look for high spots to scout or spot from. Look for drainage areas on the toppo. Dranage areas useully mean vegitation is growing near by. Vegitation = brouse, water, and shelter, three elements animals require. An arial may or may not confirm this pending the age of the photo. Also look for clearings or flats below the high spots. This is where short grasses might grow. An arial may also show you where small clearings are in a heavy brush or treed areas, old roads, stock tanks, and fince lines. You know how animals like running the edge of tree or bush lines and fields.
      Also, call and ask to talk to a rep of the agency in charge. They will sometimes give valuable info as to what area to concentrate on. After all, they run the program and should know the area, right?

From the maps, I would spend the first morning watching a suspected area. Mid-day I would cover as much ground as possible taking notes, with bow in hand. Then hunt the evening or watch a suspected area. After the first day, I would hunt the mornings, still-stalk mid day while taking notes, then hunt the evenings.

If it is up north where deep snow might be, I would spend early morning scouting/tracking and hunt mid morning to late evening when the air temp warms slightly.

Comment

Didn't you get drawn for chaparrel, seems like I read that somewhere on here. Anyways I've never been on a three day hunt but two separate 5 days hunts. I spent the first day scouting and setting up stands, at least one north wind one and one south wind one. After that hunt hard and hope you did a good job scouting. Your 3 day hunt is actuall a 2 day hunt. The first day after orientation it may be as late as 2pm before you get out in the compartments, on the third day the hunt usually ends at noon. I would recommend getting there a day early and ride around in the compartments if the biologist will let you, if you know what compartment you'll be in go ahead and scout.

Comment

Keep the tips coming in. I am thinking about some sort of cart/wagon to haul in my gear and haul out game.

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post
          Didn't you get drawn for chaparrel, seems like I read that somewhere on here..
          I did get drawn for Chap, but I turned down the hunt. It was in early October for 7 point and less bucks and it conflicted with work so I did not go. I really wanted to hunt the Chap, but I have a lot of hunts this year and I did not feel like it was one of my best options.

Comment

Lake Waco?

Comment

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post
              Lake Waco?
              Not Waco, I sent you a PM

Comment

What is so funny about hunting public land is that most people think the further you gat back in the woods is better. I hunter East Texas for 20 plus years and found that if I am near the road I have better luck as the people going deeper push the deer to me. Unit 120 was the area I hunted, I use to hunt only 200 yards off Hwy. 84 and shot a buck every year. Now at LBJ, I am off the road less than 200 yards and both times I have taken a deer. (don't have to drag that far). I use the other hunters as drivers as I look for the majority of them and then hunt between them and the roads.

I have yet had to haul a deer over 200 yards to the truck. But then most hunters like getting back in the woods where they think there wouldn't be any one. Well most hunters think this and they are all back deep in the woods. LOL I will stick closer to the roads and get my deer as they are pushed to me, I wish you luck.

Comment

You know, I remember once hunting the San Angelo WMA and at the end of the day I walked back to find a half dozen deer feeding in the grass, next to the fence where my truck was parked. Didn't seem funny at the time, but sure does now.

:^{D

Comment

Heath- I am in D/FW. PM me where you are hunting?

Comment

I'm with Buck-a-do. That's what I normally do, but last year and this year I'm doing the further back thing. When I was hunting within 200 yards of the truck I was covered up with deer. Even walked up within 15 yards of a 4 point that was less than 60 yards from my truck. At one point I was sitting within 60 yards of my truck and had a really nice buck and 3 does within 30 yards of my truck just in the mesquites standing right behind me.
                      Last edited by switchback; 11-08-2006, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I have been on several state hunts. Use google earth to view a newer aerial of the place. It has elevations included as you scroll the mouse. I have been on the 3 and 4 day hunts and they are right about the short time period. Don't waste the first afternoon looking for that great spot, find a funnel or a ridge or a flat and hunt it. You can scout after the morning hunt on day 2. Let me know where you are going, I may have been there already.

Comment

Great tips guys, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                            Don't waste the first afternoon looking for that great spot, find a funnel or a ridge or a flat and hunt it. You can scout after the morning hunt on day 2.
                            Great advice Tmag. I'm gonna use it on my November hunt at Granger WMA. Any advice on whether it would be better to set up a popup blind, hang a tree stand, or still hunting.?

Comment

Get in your stand before other hunters
                              Be scent free
                              Stay longer than other hunters

Comment

Working...
                              X