Feeding quail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding quail?

Anybody put bird feed or hen scratch in their feeders to feed quail?

I usually mix in a bag of milo for the turkeys

Comment

I throw a bag of milo in my corn feeders for quail, we also feed the roads with chicken scratch

Comment

ok thanks. Im gonna try it

Comment

Out in Abilene the quail eat my corn. Almost a problem.

Comment

we feed an 80/20 corn milo mix. in feeders and on roads

Comment

Milo's easier to broadcast and you can get it mixed from your dealer if you go bulk.

Comment

I put a bag of hen scratch in my feeders just for the birds.

Comment

We put bird seed in with our corn and the quail, songbirds, and turkey love it. However, so do the bobcats. The bobcats use the feeder just like we do. When it goes off, they know that the birds are not too far behind. Makes for something interesting to look at, although I have had a few scary encounters as a result.

Comment

Small ground self-feeders with Milo work well for quail.
                    The trick is to build them so coons can't clean you out in one night.
                    A 35 gal. barrel bolted to 2x4s with holes punched around the bottom and a good solid hog-wire mesh cage covering the bottom half of the barrel work well.
                    There is a covey around ours almost every time we go to fill them up.
                    As mentioned earlier though, it can also attract predators.

Comment

Feeding quail in concentrated open areas makes them very susceptible to predation from four legged critters as well as those in the air. With that said, I see 1-2 coveys at my corn feeders every time I sit there and have witnessed a lot of predation. Bobs and blues seem to get along good with whole corn and so do the doves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodey View Post
                        Feeding quail in concentrated open areas makes them very susceptible to predation from four legged critters as well as those in the air. With that said, I see 1-2 coveys at my corn feeders every time I sit there and have witnessed a lot of predation. Bobs and blues seem to get along good with whole corn and so do the doves.
                        X2.

I don't like feeding milo or seed in stationary corn feeders due to the easy predation. We do feed roads from time to time using a milo mix and I feel like it contributes to the numbers of quail and turkey we actually see. This is of course due to the birds staging closer to the roads, not an increase in numbers.

We use hen scratch in turkey style platform feeders for quail and have great success. Start out putting them close to the ground so the birds get used to the feeder. Once they are utilizing it you can raise it up on legs. This helps prevent predation and limits non-target feed consumption.

Comment

Working...
                        X