very portable hunting cabin/ storage building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very portable hunting cabin/ storage building

I have been wanting to do this project for the last three years. I have never really liked sleeping in a travel trailer and having to move something in order to sit down or feeling claustrophobic while walking inside one. I also did not want to build something knowing that the lease might not be available the next year and face the prospect of having to leave it behind.

This building is 12' x 16' and is all steel construction, however, it could be skinned with wood or siding. I fabricated the frame over the course of about 3 weekends. All of the nuts have been tack welded into place for quicker set up. I am going to set it up at the lease at the end of the month.

I am going to skin the front and back rafter with sheet metal that will also act as a flashing for the wall panels below. I will be really surprised if me and my buddy can't have this thing up in 3 hours. I took it down in a little over an hour.
    The only tools we will need are a cordless drill, a screw tip for the wood floor, a 5/16 nut driver to screw on the R-panel, a 7/16 nut driver to bolt the frame and a level.

The rafters and bases have plugs that the frame legs slide into.

DSC_6826 (Small).JPG

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowhunter Ed Poster Multiple Dates 2008Eresized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	24726301

Then the frame goes up.

Name:	vanhorn 07 (5).JPG
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	23831808

Roof and siding

Name:	11-pt.JPG
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	23831810

DSC_6783 (Small).JPG

Here is the frame ready for it's trip to Comanche.

ATT00010.jpg

now that's cool, good job!

Comment

you dumped the trailer, skipped over the wall tent and built a fortress

love it

Comment

Ain't that something. Nice ingenuity, Corey.
        Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Are you going to set it up on the wood base, pour concrete or put it right on the ground?

If the lease is not available in the future, you can leave the slab and offer so sell the matching building that goes on top, else you'll take it with you.

Really nice work.

Comment

Thanks. The wood floor makes more sense now. It costs around $125 and can be placed in an hour or so.

The sq tubing is 2'' and the angle iron plugs are 1 3/4''. I decided to use angle instead of 1 3/4'' sq tubing because I did not want a weld bead on the outside. It is a tight fit either way. The perlins are 4'' bargain cee from Mueller and the tabs that they attach to are 2'' angle.
            Last edited by BIG IRON; 06-14-2007, 08:15 AM.

Comment

How much did the material for the shed cost??

Comment

you out-did yourself. very nice work and design!

Comment

Bigiron if you use pallets then place plywood on top you've got a pretty decent floor for you to set it on and it will be cheap. Get the good blue pallets. They are very sturdy. I built an adhoc party house that my parents didnt know about in high school like this. It got busted junior year. LOL.

Comment

How are you going to secure the windows?

Looks very cool, lots more comfortable than a ratty old trailer!

Comment

I want one! How bout full specs and descriptions for us 'maroons' that don't know diddly about welding and fabrication!

Comment

Stxhunter, I had some of the material. I will get all if the pricing together this weekend.

MC, was it easy to get the pallets level? Did you screw them together?

Roger, the windows are spaced to be 3 x 3. You can screw them at the top and bottom and secure them on the sides with 2 x 4 with angle on both ends to screw through into the perlin.

Pat, I could build you the frame if you would like. Let me figure out how much it would be worth and I will PM you. All you have to do after having the frame is order all of the R-Panel, door and windows.
                        Mueller will deliver everything cut to length so you can screw it right up.

I am going to set this thing up at the end of the month.
                        We are putting a stand up shower in the space to the right of the door.

Comment

Very nice indeed!

Comment

A job well thought out and done!!! That's awesome. When you get it all together at the lease are you going to take some pictures of it all finished? Pictures of how you do the insulation, lighting, etc. etc.??

Good Job,
                            Doug

Comment

Well its about time you put that thing up youve been talkin it up for months that was probably so your wife would think you were workin ," Hey Corey ya want another beer ?" looks good man, but not as good as my new patio you outdid yourself on that one

Comment

Working...
                              X