Authority on Food Plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authority on Food Plots?

I know that a lot of you guys have useful information and years of experience with food plots. But on a professional level, who would you say has the most knowledge on growing and maintaining successful food plots?

I have spoken with Dr James Kroll before on the topic of antler restrictions and I am sure that he would be a viable guest to grill on food plot management and it's affect on your deer herd- but are there any others out there that you think have a wealth of knowledge on the subject? I am interested in things like how many acres of food plots and feeders should there be in relation to how many acres the place is. Obviously that would change regionally, and water is a factor- but I am sure somebody out there has all of this knowledge at hand.

I think it would make for a really interesting and educational segment. Thanks in advance.

Kroll would be good bet, but I think he's already been on your show. You might try Gary Schwarz or David Morris since they are Tecomate guys.

Comment

I know Dr. Kroll and spend alot of time out at his research facility. Foodplots are one of the main things that he concentrates on. I do know that he was researched many types for many years. If you have had him on there before then I would think you could get him again.

Comment

Lee & Tiffany (well, not so much Lee). They're always talking about food plots on their show.

I'd contact Marco (Encinal). That dude obviously has it figured out.

Comment

The Drury Brothers? just make sure its not all about biologic and more about the plants themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Lee & Tiffany (well, not so much Lee). They're always talking about food plots on their show.

I'd contact Marco (Encinal). That dude obviously has it figured out.
            LOL, had them on last week. They own 6,000 total acres on many different properties and 900 of those acres are covered with food plots. Lee is a workaholic and pretty much does the work himself. They made for a great interview but I want it to be more educational for the Texas deer hunter.

What they do in Iowa and Kansas is prob a little different than what is recommended down here. But I appreciate the thought. Lee knows whitetails about as well as anyone I have ever talked to.

Comment

Billy Higanbotham @ the A&M extention office in Overton

Comment

How about some joe blow who doesn't have their pockets lined with corporate dollars and know only what they read on a script???

A&M extension office agent is a great idea. TPWD biologist in your area is another idea.

Comment

anyone that has no ties to any seed company imho. They will be biased in some form or fashion.

Comment

Tom Malouf, deer breeder in East Texas. He plant food plots year round and manages a well know deer herd here.....

Comment

Macy Ledbetter.....retired biologist from TPW and private biologist now...

Comment

I have two thoughts..

One, I'm pretty sure QDMA has a regional rep that covers Texas.. That might be one..

Two, I would be pretty interested in one guys from A&M Agrilife Research center that are producing legumes and clover specific for forage in Texas.. Here is the website.. http://aggieclover.tamu.edu/index.htm

Comment

Have spoken with Dr. Higgenbotham before on feral hogs affecting East Texas deer populations. Left him a message, also checked out Macy Ledbetter's website. Both are qualified. Will have to see who calls back first. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Macy Ledbetter!!!!! what channel/network does ur show televise on?

Comment

All the information is on my website: www.texasoutdoorsmedia.com , we are on the air in San Antonio and Dallas.

Macy hasn't returned my call yet- but his voice mail said he was in the field for a few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X