FYI, mule deer tags still in NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI, mule deer tags still in NM

For anyone that is interested, there are still quiet a few left over mule deer permits for the Jan bow season in NM. For $6 application fee, it was worth the 6 just to have the opportunity to hunt in Jan if everything works out.

Got a little inside info from Lulhorse and my partner and I grabbed 2 tags in Unit 31 that runs from north of Portales to the NM state line on the south end of the state right along the NM/TX border. Any and all info on public land in that area would be appreciated, of course Lulhorse will probably get tired of my questions about locations on where to hunt.

You can apply over the internet, very easy and very quick. It will show you what tags are left and how many.

Can you post a link to the web site.....

Thanks

Comment

The deadline to apply for big-game draw hunts was March 20th. Draw permits must be validated by purchase of an OTC license. Licenses are available online, by phone (888-248-6866), or in person at license vendors and NMDGF offices. Print from your account or request a copy from vendors or ispa@state.nm.us. All Big-game & turkey licenses also

Check the hunts and permits avaliable at the top of the page and then hit Apply online. The Unit map is on page 17 of the online brochure and the hunt codes follow for deer.

Comment

How much are the out of state licenses and tags?? This sounds like something I might do if it's pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the heads up

Comment

License for mule deer I think is $270 for out of state, that includes the license and tag, plus nothing to hunt on public lands.

Comment

I am assuming that this is public land??? I just applied for Unit 31 as well.

Comment

Apparently I did the wrong one. I did the APRD and not the APRMD. What is the difference???

Comment

The hunt code I used was DER-2-151 unit 31. The purchased hunt says

Deer - 2/Bow - DER-2-151 - Jan 01-15 - APRD - 6 - 6

If you put in DER-2-151 for the hunt code, then you will get a permit to buy a tag for Unit 31.

Comment

Mudslinger that code is the one that I put in. I of course did not save it so now when I go back and search for my name it comes up with nothing. I may have donated $6 to the NM state wildlife fund. When is the draw or will they send it out. I have never done anything like this before so I am a rookie to say the least.

Comment

Aggie2000TX, the NM G&F website shows only 5 tags left for unit 31 so if you just applied then you probably used the right code. The last time i checked was when my partner and i applied there were 8 tags before and 6 after we submitted our apps. Maybe we can get together for this hunt. I am trying to round up maps and get some inside info for lacations and tips.

Comment

If I did get it I will need all the help I can get.

Thanks

Toby

Comment

Aggie2000TX, find the link to the NM game and fish site and find the contact link and send an email to ask for a copy of your application. I did the same thing and did not make a copy of the transaction. I emailed them and said my printer failed to print and they sent me a copy of the application by email. The most important part is the application #

Comment

they will mail you your info via snail mail. the draw was a coupleof months ago, from what i undersand those were just left over tags that didnt get drawn. when you apply for th edraw you select an area, apparently that wasnt an area enough people applied for. there are also areas considered "quality area's" and the permit to hunt there is a little more expensive. i've been twice and you cant beat the price, scenery and hunting. the lincoln national forrest is huge and you can camp for free anywhere. feel free to email me if you have any more questions. that is prime rut time too!

Comment

Ladrones posted the leftover list last night I dont think there were tags left over for the Lincoln . Unit 31 where Slinger is hopefully headed has big deer .
                            I dont claim to be an expert but I have traveled those sand hills quite a bit. Took a good un last fall wighed in over 300 lbs. Good glass would help .

Comment

I'll be hunting in unit 29 in Jan.

Trailboss

Comment

Working...
                              X