Re-Fletching Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-Fletching Arrows

I have some carbon arrows that have fletches on them that I would like to refletch. They were fetched without a wrap and does anyone know how to take off the old glue without damaging the arrows? Thanks for the help or suggestions!

Ron, we use a dull knife to scrape off the old vanes. Then if there is some of the old vane left we use a lite form of sand paper to smooth of the old vane. We use Isopropyl Alochol 91%,we get it at wal-mart. we use Bohning vanes and Bohning glue works good together. Good Luck hope this helps.

Comment

i use a knife to strip off the bulk of the vane and base. then use the back side of the knife to scrape off small stuff so i dont cut into the carbon fibers.

Comment

It sure is a pain in the b***, but being under a good light source helps as well, you can see the remaining residue better, about all we have around here is green pads, works pretty good as well

Comment

much like these guys do...

I use a dull serrated knife that fits around the arrow well, scrape the vane off and whatever glue remnants i can. I have a soft sanding pad that i run over it until satisfied, then wipe down with alcohol and refletch!

ac

Comment

I use a norway zip strip, it is a tool that strips off the vanes then i use emory clothe, then i use acetone to clean the arrows. I use an arizona eze fletch. I buy all my stuff off of the internet.

Comment

x2 on the zip strip, probably the best around. There is a cheap red handle one at Academy that is cheap and gets the job done too, just not quite as smooth as the zip strip.

Comment

same as above, but i use a sharp knife...why the dull?

Comment

Originally posted by art745 View Post
                  same as above, but i use a sharp knife...why the dull?
                  Don't want to cut/splinter the carbon fibers

Comment

Originally posted by InfantryCPT View Post
                    Don't want to cut/splinter the carbon fibers
                    hey i sent you a pm....

Comment

Depending on the vane, some you do not have to prep shaft or vane! You can use a potato peeler, works well, but I use a carpet knife, very sharp, then clean shaft with abrassive pad. (kitchen stuff)

Comment

I have an old fish knife, scaling edge on one side and scalloped on the other and a 2" regular edge from the tip(dull).

I hope I never lose it, has been the best refletch shaft prep tool I've ever owned.

The scalloped edge gets gradually larger from the bottom, making it fit the profile of any shaft I use it on... even Line Jammers.

the edge is similar to this. One quick swipe and it takes of the entire vane and most of the glue. The rest is easily scraped off.

Comment

Thanks for al the suggestions, I'll give them a try!

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
                            I have an old fish knife, scaling edge on one side and scalloped on the other and a 2" regular edge from the tip(dull).

I hope I never lose it, has been the best refletch shaft prep tool I've ever owned.

The scalloped edge gets gradually larger from the bottom, making it fit the profile of any shaft I use it on... even Line Jammers.

the edge is similar to this. One quick swipe and it takes of the entire vane and most of the glue. The rest is easily scraped off.

thats a heck of an idea! Guess I better hid it from the wife!

Comment

Originally posted by jeff-fro View Post
                              x2 on the zip strip, probably the best around. There is a cheap red handle one at Academy that is cheap and gets the job done too, just not quite as smooth as the zip strip.
                              X3 on Zip strip and acetone and green pad and re-fletch.
                              Good luck !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X