[B]Y marks the spot???[/B]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[B]Y marks the spot???[/B]

Yes thats right sometimes "Y" does mark the spot. My father got on a lease this year kind of late and has not had time to go up and set up stands or feeders. He can't bring guests until after Thanksgiving. At least thats waht we thought. So after taking to the other guys on the lease and the landowner, they all agreed that I could go with thim to help him set up stands and feeders and I could shoot a doe. They don't want any bucks shot by guests until after they get a chance to hunt them. Also my father and I have been training his Jack Russell Terrier to trail blood. We got this pup from Mike and Nancy Palmer at Firstpoint. He has been finding trails that we have laid out for a while. But we have never really had an opportunity to let him trail one on his own. Last year after guiding we had the chance to let him track a few we had found...but it wasn't the same.

We got to the lease and did some chores and then decided to hunt that evening. While I didn't see anything, my father saw a nice up n coming buck. 2.5yo 10 pt. His camera was left in the truck and mine is broken.

The next morning I sat in a pop up blind that we had just put up the day before. We have been putting out corn at this spot since opening weekend, but not had a shot yet. So I'm sitting in the blind about 8:30am reading a book when I notice movement. Out steps a small buck and 2 small does. THey are all very nervous and move in and out of the shooting lane. Later a nice doe and 2 smaller does (last years fawns) move into the shooting lane. I put my book down and get my bow. As if on cue the younger does move out of the lane and leave the big doe alone. Then she turns quartering away like I had posed he and I couldn't stand it. I came to full draw and imagined where the arrow would exit and let loose. THWACK! She turns and stumbles and takes off running, and all is quiet. I noticed my arrow did not pass all the way through so I pick up my book and continue reading waiting for the 30 mins. to pass. Finally it is time to go look for her so I get out of the blind and immediately find blood. I trail it for 20 yards and then she makes a hard turn into the brush. About then my dad shows up and he has "skip" with him. I tell him of the doe and tell him I want Skip to track him. "dead deer" is all I have to say and Skip is off like a flash. My dad is trying to keep up. Skip runs straight to the deer that is about 100 yards away. Mind you this is through an open field and into some very thick brush. Total time for Skip to find the deer is less than one minute. I know the pics suck, again broken camera and another one forgotten. But, the shot was good. Again 'Y" can mark the spot.

Here is a pic of me and skip with the doe...obviously much later.

Thanks for reading. I know it was long, but hopefully the next one will have more pics.
    Attached Files

OK so I apparently did not figure out how to do the pics right...but you get the idea.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats and good job to the dog

Comment

Congrats on the doe and the succesful track.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats Damian!

Comment

Congrads!

Comment

Congrats on the backstraps!

Comment

Congratulations!! Guess you can keep feeding the dog-- he has earned his keep.

Comment

Congrats to you... and Skip!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Huntinfool_501.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	23815976

Comment

Congrats on the doe. Great shot

Comment

Congrats to all!

Comment