let's talk stabilizers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

let's talk stabilizers...

every bows got one but I must confess I don't really know what they do ("stabilize" I guess!) or how they do it. why do some have short stablizers while others have longer ones. would like to know what is best and why.

It is a personal prefrence, some like name brand, some slike short etc. They help absorb noise, and shock when the arrow is released. They help balance the bow. The heavier the stab, the longer you can hold on target without wobbling.

Thats a few things that I can think of there are more but I can't recall . Some will cost as little as $10 and as much as $90.

Comment

Stabilizers vs. Dampeners

A Stabilizer is a device that is made of a rigid arm or boom affixed to the riser that provides a moment arm for a weight installed on the end or contained inside. This moment arm of weight provides a fixed mass to counteract the rotational and axial forces of bow movement generated from the operator or release of stored energy. Most functional stabilizers have a length of eight inches or more with some being several feet long. The longer the stabilizer the better it works and the less weight is required on it’s end due to the multiplying factor of moment arm, (moment arm = distance from bow riser rotational point to weight on the end of the arm or boom). Some stabilizers may also contain a material or medium to attenuate vibration or harmonic resonance but this is not the primary function of a stabilizer.

A Dampener is a device that is made with a material or medium that attenuates vibration or harmonic resonance in an object, i.e. the bow. These devices are normally short and in a range of seven inches or under. They provide very little if any stabilizing effect on the bow other than loading your mussels with a few more ounces of weight that you may perceive as slowing unwanted movement of the bow. As stated their primary function is to attenuate vibration and thus reduce the accompanying sound. Many of these devises work by converting vibration (harmonic energy) into heat. Some of these devices can be mounted on the end of an extension to provide stabilization of the bow by serving as a fixed weight on the end of an arm or boom, dual purpose.

A simple way to look at it is that if your device is not out past your limb pocket ends by several inches it is probably a dampener and not a stabilizer. Mount a stabilizer on the outside of the riser and put your dampener on the inside of the riser, this method can also be used to balance the bow. A devise that allows your stabilizer to move or flex defeats the purpose of a rigid arm or boom and will not properly stabilize and may even serve to magnify movement with a delayed action from the flexing movement of the arm or boom. The shaft, arm, or boom should be of the lightest most rigid material possible thus concentrating the weight as far to the end of the device as can be mounted.

Moment = Magnitude of Force × Force arm [the perpendicular distance to the pivot (Fd)]

Comment

"A simple way to look at it is that if your device is not out past your limb pocket"

what is the "limb pocket" please?
        Last edited by Mark44; 03-15-2010, 09:48 AM.

Comment

limb pocket is where the limbs attach to the riser.

Comment

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
            I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

I got nothing to add that JBS didn't say, well said my friend!

Comment

thanks everybody - that was really helpful. the youtube vid was really good too.

Comment

Working...
                X