NEW to hog hunting and new to Texas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW to hog hunting and new to Texas.

Hello, I have recently moved to Texas from Arizona and have some land to hunt in East Texas. There are clear signs of Hog all over the property. I have just set up a regular deer feeder to go off twice a day with regular deer corn. I have also set up a camera on the feeder. The feeder and the camera have been up for two days now, but i have not had a chance to check the camera due to the distance from home. Any other suggestions on how to attract and figure out the hog patterns on this land? Any suggestions help. Thanks in advance.

Typically there really isn't a true way to pattern hogs, some days they show up at a certain period and then others it can be totally different. If your wanting to shoot them in the daylight period then I've had better luck with throwing it just once a day and only in the morning, this forces them to come out in the daylight if they want the corn. You should get a good idea of their activity after you check your camera

Comment

ok, great! Thanks. Im going to check my camera tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some nice pics to share. Right now, i have the feed times on at 6am and 6pm. You are suggesting that you have had better luck with just the morning feed time?

Comment

Yes I've had better luck with the morning time because I dont have the desire to sit on them all night after being up all day. My philosophy is that if the corn is thrown in the morning then if they want it they have to come out in the daylight to get it. If not then the deer will get it so no sweat

Comment

Try Jello... Strawberry seems to work well. You might go further and try whipped cream... maybe cherries?

Comment

HAHA, yes, i have heard of using jello before. Also, i hear deisel is a good trick.

Comment

Keep your eye on he camera

Comment

Well, thanks for all of the suggestions. I was able to check my camera today and well.... no hog pics. But there are plenty of fresh hog tracks about 50 yards away from my feeder and camera. So i believe it will only be a matter of time before they find the corn. Hopefully i will have some pictures to post soon.

Comment

If there are signs of hogs and your feeding corn with out a pin, the hogs will come, don't worry.

Comment

An old trapper told me to use fruit loops cereal (the store brand of course), he said they love those little things. Ive tried it a couple times in the traps with no luck, however one time i put some under the feeder and that night shot a hog. I dont know if it was coincidence or not, I shot her before she even got to the goodies. All the corn and fruit loops were gone in the morning though, so something ate em. Good luck.

Comment

walk the property, look for trails, bedding areas etc. keep cameras on feeders. normally corn beats all the jello mix etc tricks all the time

Comment

What kind of game camera do you use?

Comment

I believe I have a Moultrie D40 camera.

Comment

Any update on your game cam?

Comment

OK Guys, I have some pictures from my trail camera. But i dont know how to upload them! can anyone help me out?

Comment

Working...
                              X