Target Panic!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target Panic!!!

I need some help. I am having a terrible problem with this so-called target panic. If I have my finger on the trigger of my release I cannot get on target and hold my pin. I move to it and shoot. If I leave my finger off the trigger, I can hold my pin on target all day, but then my finger is frozen. I cannot place it on the trigger and squeeze. I ehd up holding my bow too long and then punching the trigger and dropping my arm at the same time. My shooting has gone way down hill and I am extremely frustrated. I am to the point where I don't like to shoot any more. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Please.

I honestly cant tell you how to fix it, I had the same problem and got so mad I put the bow up for about 6 months and when I decided to try it again I still had it as most people do it had just got a lot better or more managable. Good luck, I'm sure someone around here has some good info for ya.

Comment

never heard of this before sorry i cant help

Comment

oops, double post. darn "the service is unavailable" thing
        Last edited by red; 03-08-2010, 07:52 AM.

Comment

sorry, this turned out a little long

I had the same issue a while back. I put the bow down for about a month and did some upper body, shoulder and back exercises and some reading on shooting. squeezing the trigger should be a subconscious activity (like working the clutch, gas pedal, gear shift, steering wheel at the same time) so I had to train my mind to focus on something unrelated and let my subconscious work the trigger. for me I was focusing on a song, doing movie quotes and changed it for every arrow so I didn't FIRE on a certain word or part. also had my daughter sit beside me and do her reading homework and I would focus on her story and word pronunciation. I would even draw and hold on the spot telling myself im not gonna shoot at all so that FIRE NOW would not creep in, then I would let down without shooting. that helped me get the feel and sight picture of how it should be without that FIRE command. i did a lot better shooting at 3D deer and turkey since there is no fixed dot. i could pick and focus on a spot and let the shot process work without fear of it drifting off the little fixed dot.

Comment

thanks. I figured I wasn't the only one struggling with this.

Comment

back tension release, do a google search on this , i think this will help on the panic

Comment

Try getting a couple of yards from a blank target and draw, anchor aim in the middle area of the target and close your eyes (keep the bow steady) and breathe and focus on putting your thumb or finger on the trigger and squeeze your shoulder blades together (back tension) while being steady. This will cause the trigger to trip and the shot to fire while your on target. Do this over and over till you can focus on a dime sized target and focus on the arrow hitting that spot then your release will become second nature like posted above. Hinge releases like atexx2 said will work but if target panic is bad enough even these cant stop it. Hope this helps

Comment

Appreciate the help. I shot yesterday and i did exactly what you suggested. I got close to the target and I shot with my eyes closed. Then I shot with them open. Slowly moved further away and things really seemed to click. Thanks

Comment

I'm going through the same thing right now (all year for that matter). Another thing that may help is on those times when you freeze up, instead of punching the release just let down and regroup. Like mentioned above it will take away from your mind telling you that you need to "shoot now".

Comment

Sorry, can't tell you how to fix it but I can tell you quitting isn't the answer. Keep practicing and don't get frustrated.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me about two years ago when I got back into bow hunting. What I did to fix it was to draw my bow ( dont look through the peep) put your pin you are going to use on target. Then look through your peep and you will be real close to your target. Then just relax (dont for get to breath) and just squeze your trigger. It will take awhile to get over it but shoot about 10-20 shots and go in for the night. Do the same thing every night till you get over it. But never shoot till you get tired. It will bring it all right back.

Comment

Get you a back tension release and practice with that and your problems will go away. Do some blank bale shooting as well where you are not focusing on a spot just practicing on shooting.

Comment

Idiot proof archery by Bernie Pellerite is an awesome book that addresses issues like this. If you enjoy reading, I highly recommend getting this book. Good luck and stay with it.

Comment

While doing the blank bail exercises also do random let downs. Get all set up to take a shot and then instead of making the release do a complete let down. Wait as minute and start over.

Comment

Working...
                              X