Boddington's daughter shoots Dog Handler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boddington's daughter shoots Dog Handler

I just got this in email. Sounds like Brittany made a mistake. An accident but still......

" Dear friends,
    Chances are you've heard about the accident that occurred recently when my daughter, Brittany, was hunting leopard in Namibia with Omujeve Safaris. They were in a very dangerous and confusing situation when the leopard charged, really a worst-case scenario of tall grass and a totally unexpected encounter. The lead dog handler, Punki, was being mauled by the leopard when he was struck by a bullet. Fortunately he is recovering very well, and is expected to achieve a near-full recovery.

I was in Zimbabwe when the accident occurred. Of course I scrambled as quickly as possible and got to Namibia. Beyond Punki's condition--which was stable and improving by the time I got there--one of our concerns was the rumor mill and second-guessing that can attend such an event. We posted PH Nic Kruger's and Brittany's statement, prepared for the police, on AccurateReloading.com, sent them to the Hunting Report, and so forth. You may already have seen them, but I will attach them.

At this time Punki is doing well and will be out of the hospital soon, with some physical therapy ahead of him before he can rejoin his hounds (but he will hunt again, and fairly soon!). Brittany is also doing. One of the steps she has taken is to establish a fund to assist with Punki's medical bills. (It's worth every penny; the Roman Catholic Hospital in Windhoek did a fantastic job!). I must tell you that Brittany and I have been overwhelmed by the general support and understanding regarding this unfortunate incident, and I know I have received emails from many of you.

We will be grateful for any contributions to:

Punki Recovery Fund
    PO Box 33303
    Granada Hills, CA 91394

The incident, unfortunately, belongs to my daughter. Having seen the video and still pictures taken for the police at the site, I seriously doubt I could have changed things or done anything different had I been there, but I was not, so in addition to her statement, I will add the following brief paragraph from Brittany:

TRAGEDY IN NAMIBIA
    In April 2009 I was in Africa again, hunting leopard with hounds with PH Nic Kruger at Omujeve Safaris. We were on a very aggressive leopard in terribly thick cover. We pulled off to water the dogs, expecting the leopard to move off--hopefully into better ground. When we went back in the leopard was prepared, but we were not. While our dog handlers were trying to pick up the scent the leopard ambushed us. I was walking behind Nic when I heard his first shot go off, but in an instant the cat had jumped over the first dog handler and onto our chief dog handler, Punki, now laying down in tall grass. Unfortunately I didn't see this, and there was no time for instructions. I stepped around Nic, and saw the cat thrashing in the grass, I assumed it was because it was wounded and not because it was chewing on Punki. I thought I had a clear view of the cat, and fired. The leopard had chewed Punki’s ankle and bit through the leather belt on his hip but jumped off after my shot,
    unfortunately I was a few inches low and he was struck by the bullet. The whole incident lasted less than three insane and most regrettable seconds. Thanks to superb first aid and fast evacuation Punki is recovering at an amazing rate, but his medical bills are extreme. Punki is one of the most experienced leopard hunters in southern Africa, with 25 years experience with his hounds. I have established the "Punki Recovery Fund," and am contributing the proceeds of my writing. I would be eternally grateful for any contributions to: Punki Recovery Fund, PO Box 33303, Granada Hills, CA 91394.
    --Brittany Boddington

With many thanks and best wishes,

Craig Boddington"

Yeah I have seen links to her testimony (statement) and his as well...

If you spend enough time doing what she was doing, eventually something like this (that can lead to a mauling/accidental shooting) happens. If you get charged enough... eventually one is going to get through... I don't care how good you think you are.

She obviously made a mistake, but that's a tough spot to be in for anyone.

People that are going to go off on her about safety and "that would never happen to me" etc... either haven't spent enough time hunting dangerous game to be humbled... or have, and are too thick headed to realize they aren't supermen.

Sadly... both of those types of people are common in the Safari game... both on the Client and PH side of things.

Comment

I just got the same email. Scary stuff, I'm glad the handler will be ok and that they are helping pay his medical bills.

Comment

I'm sure she feels very bad and will play those three seconds over in her head for the rest of her life. Glad nobody was killed and all get to go home to families. It could have been a lot worse. The same thing almost happen to me on a hog hunt. There is a reason they call it dangerious game.

Comment

Not impressed

Comment

I have never heard of these folks and am not overly familiar with African Hunting. With the mention of "I was in Africa again" and knowing the cost of this 'game', it leaves me wondering why she is soliciting funds from others to cover the cost of her mistake/accident?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
              I have never heard of these folks and am not overly familiar with African Hunting. With the mention of "I was in Africa again" and knowing the cost of this 'game', it leaves me wondering why she is soliciting funds from others to cover the cost of her mistake/accident?
              ditto

Comment

Well he was being mauled before she shot him...

Kinda ridiculous if you ask me... if someone that doesn't have any money says I'm going to do what I can but im setting up a foundation...

No one makes a comment...

Someone who apparently has money (but they write and do TV for their hunts so that's how quite a few get paid for) says they are setting up a foundation the question is asked "why aren't they paying more" when you have no idea what they are doing in the first place...
                Last edited by Encinal; 05-06-2009, 12:30 PM.

Comment

With the mention of "I was in Africa again" and knowing the cost of this 'game', it leaves me wondering why she is soliciting funds from others to cover the cost of her mistake/accident?
                  I was about to pose the same question.

Will

Comment

what was she suposed to do, stand there and watch? Then you all would gripe about why didn't she do something.....seems a lot of folks here comdem others no matter what they do, or try to do.

Comment

punkie is the African tracker....obviously no kind of insurance...reconstruction etc. is the cost as the usual way (cut it off or let them die) is cheap, but not in his best interests. The request for financial aid is for him and his family, much like the requests we often see for a fireman or policeman's family or the unfortunate high school football player who is injured on his way home from practice. He is doing better BTW......

Comment

Me and Tex are drinkin outa the same beer box.
                        Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                        l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                        ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

I understand where you're coming from Encinal. If these folks are in the business of hunting shows (I have no idea as I choose not to have cable) then PR should be of great importance. Now we're talking a business I do know. In soliciting funds from others, it would be a good idea to first explain the lengths she has gone to cover expenses, but further that more is needed. While some might infer this, it is not stated. That is while level-headed guys like me pose the question I did above.

Comment

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because she is kinda hot. Check out her website.

Comment

Hate to hear this! It is ZERO joke when walking thru the tall grass. I am glad they are addressing the situation and not leaving Punki to fend for himself. I look forward to starting my Big 5, but I understand the danger involved. Prayers for all parties involved!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X