Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How cold before you will hang a deer overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How cold before you will hang a deer overnight?

So you shoot a deer in the evening right before dark. Assuming you are going to take it to the processor, at what temperature are you comfortable leaving a gutted deer hanging overnight? (I know a lot of you skin/quarter/put on ice but that's not the question) My rule of thumb is no warmer than 40 degrees for hanging- the logic being that's where most refrigerators are set. However I've hunted with guys who would leave them out when it's in the 50's and others who wont unless its almost freezing

40s is good for me. Also, I don’t like leaving them hanging with lots of moisture. Light drizzle or rain is no good. I like the inside to dry out if possible.

Comment

Low 40's and I feel good about it.

Comment

40 is the warmest

Comment

Anything below 40

Comment

I would have to be below 50 degrees for me.

Comment

below 50

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                My rule of thumb is no warmer than 40 degrees for hanging- the logic being that's where most refrigerators are set.
                Jerp you are a on the same page as me. 40 or below is the only way for me.

Comment

40 or below for me

Comment

First night, below 45 if skinned, after that need to be below 40, which never seems to happen when I shoot something.

Comment

If you take it to a processor, you'll get someone else's meat anyway. So, no worries about the temperature of yours.

Comment

In all seriousness, however, I do my own processing and I once left my deer hanging when it was VERY cold outside. It was agonizing trying to skin it the next day - lesson learned.

Comment

80s or so

Comment

Sub 50 is fine.

Comment

Under 50 has always worked fine.

In cases where it was too warm, I cut the legs off at the knee, head off, and lay them back down in a 150qt cooler with ice in the bottom...then fill the cavity with ice and lay/stuff a tarp over the top. (the lid rarely is able to shut).

Comment

Working...
                              X