Elk rifle minimum question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk rifle minimum question.

I’m heading to Pagosa for the 3rd rifle season and planned to take my 260 but now I am second guessing myself. I have plenty of other options but like the 260 because it is the model 7.

In for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s an elk not an elephant. 260 will be fine.

Comment

You’ll be good. Shoot quality projectiles and keep the range reasonable. And be aware of shot placement. Nosler sells factory loads for your rifle. Something in the 130-140g partition flavor should get you 1,500 lb/ft of energy out to the 300 yard mark with ease. 260 is great elk medicine, stay away from the big front locomotive bones and muscles and go for the lungs would be my strategy.

Comment

I’ll be going in a few weeks with my .260 pushing 130gr Accubonds@ 2890fps. I feel it will be plenty of gun in side 400 yards.

Comment

Been a bunch of em killed with a lot lot less gun.

Comment

Shot placement.
            I've shot a Gemsbock with a .270 and it dropped like a brick.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
              I’ll be going in a few weeks with my .260 pushing 130gr Accubonds@ 2890fps. I feel it will be plenty of gun in side 400 yards.

Perfect combination right here! Should yield excellent results. Good luck BFT!

Comment

Do a quick youtube search for elk and the 6.5 creedmoor! Tons of people are taking it to the elk woods with success. The creedmoor and the .260 are virtually the same in ballistics so if it works, your .260 will work just as good if not better.

Comment

Plenty of elk killed with a .243/6mm. You’ll be just fine.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I can share me elk pictures in a few weeks!

Comment

Worry more about holes through both lungs than caliber. They will all die after that.

Comment

As has already been said, 260 is plenty of gun.

I would lean toward Ammo with either the 125 g son Nosler Partition or 130 grain Accubond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This guy gave his grandson the green light to pop a bull with a 243 shot it 5 times before it finally stopped. So yes less can make it happen but I'd reccomend a larger caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
                            This guy gave his grandson the green light to pop a bull with a 243 shot it 5 times before it finally stopped. So yes less can make it happen but I'd reccomend a larger caliber.
                            I would too. Reminds me of that first kill 6.5 PRC video where they shot the bull four times before it went down. A good old 300WM is a useful tool for anyone to have in the safe.

Comment

If a 180gr. Accubond from a .30-06 could Nilgai that 260 accubond ought to be fine for elk.

Shot placement and a quality bullet are just as important how big the bullet is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X