Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
alwaysinshorts
Ten Point

Default Nicer things?

I have had this conversation with many people over the years. There are some things that I don't mind paying more money for as long as the value to me is worth it.

For example I have purchased fishing reels that are in excess of 1k, even though the initial cost is high up front the overall cost to me is much lower than buying something less expensive. I have purchased several Van Staal reels that are totally sealed that I have used for surf fishing and they have lasted me more than 10 years now. If any of you guys have fished the surf regularly you know that the saltwater tears up reels. I have actually had these reels for 11 years so that comes out to less than 100 dollars per year. To me that is awesome. Compare that to spending 200 dollars on a "good" reel and it last you a couple of years and then you have to buy a new one, assuming it actually last a couple of years.

With that same idea what do you guys think of buying things that will last years versus a couple of years?
alwaysinshorts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

"Buy once. Cry once."
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
kingranch
Ten Point

im a cheap azz.. but when it comes to my surfboards or gear I will spend some coin.. No difference with tools, gotta have the correct equipment for the job

Now fishing reels definitely can vary, if its surf reels that I will be wading getting wet then I buy the 35$ shimanos and toss them after a month or so of hard fishing...
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
hog_down
Ten Point

Its your money, and you are the one using the reels/rods/whatever, so who cares what others say?
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Buy the good stuff your grandkids will thank you.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

for me it depends on how much I use it....if it is a seldom used item I look for cheap. if it is a frequently used item I look closer. Expensive does not always equal quality...plus I look hard for quality used items. a lot of times u can get great quality for a good price if you buy gently used.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Power tools and hand tools. Even though I don't use them every day to make my living I can't stand to use cheaply made tools.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
for me it depends on how much I use it....if it is a seldom used item I look for cheap. if it is a frequently used item I look closer. Expensive does not always equal quality...plus I look hard for quality used items. a lot of times u can get great quality for a good price if you buy gently used.
I agree with the 2nd half of this. Almost everything I buy when it comes to hunting and fishing is usually very high quality but used. I don't buy new trucks, bows or guns with very few exceptions.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I’m one cheap SOB, admittedly. But when it comes to a lot of thing I take the “buy once, cry once” mentality. I’d rather save up and buy something nice than buy cheap and have to replace it.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Tools are a good example....I like to buy Craftsman quality rather than Snap On quality....I don't think there is enough of an increase in quality to justify the much higher price. But there are certain things that I will buy at Harbor Freight...and a lot I wont
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #11
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

I buy quality (or try to anyway). And most of the time, quality cost more. But my reasoning is that my time is so limited, when I need something to work, I need it to work and not have to deal with fixing it, getting it fixed, or going and buying a new one. Because that takes extra time the I typically don’t have
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
"Buy once. Cry once."
Have it stolen once
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
I have had this conversation with many people over the years. There are some things that I don't mind paying more money for as long as the value to me is worth it.

For example I have purchased fishing reels that are in excess of 1k, even though the initial cost is high up front the overall cost to me is much lower than buying something less expensive. I have purchased several Van Staal reels that are totally sealed that I have used for surf fishing and they have lasted me more than 10 years now. If any of you guys have fished the surf regularly you know that the saltwater tears up reels. I have actually had these reels for 11 years so that comes out to less than 100 dollars per year. To me that is awesome. Compare that to spending 200 dollars on a "good" reel and it last you a couple of years and then you have to buy a new one, assuming it actually last a couple of years.

With that same idea what do you guys think of buying things that will last years versus a couple of years?
I'd like to hear a list of what people think is worth more money. I don't mind paying more IF I know it's going to last.

Quote:
Which is why I like to hear what people have bought that's actually much better. Hate spending double or triple and then it break just the same as a cheap one.

I spend money on 3 good guns. Then have my regular cheaper ones. They all shoot but a couple are really nice.

And spent on my Tacoma versus a cheaper truck

I avoid the really cheap sushi
Old 08-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #14
riverbowman
Eight Point

I've eaten sushi at a 7-11, twice. That pretty much says it all.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
6.5CM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbowman View Post
I've eaten sushi at a 7-11, twice. That pretty much says it all.
Haha
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #16
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

I like nice things but hate paying for it. In the end, I try to find the best value. Some things are worth going inexpensive on, other things aren't. I buy Ridgid power tools instead of harbor freight because I believe they will get the job done and are worth the extra money.

I hate to be so brash, but I don't like eating at nice restaurants because it just ends up a terd.

A lot of times I will go middle of the road. I bought a cheap, entry level bow last year, hated it, couldn't get it sighted in at all, thought it was me, but bass pro let me do a refund 60 days after purchase. I ended up getting a mid-market bow for about $500 more than I already invested. Within an hour I was dialed in and putting 5 arrows within about 2 inches at 50 yards. Somethings are just better to spend extra money on.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #17
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

I buy good stuff, the best for my hobbies but I go used. Best of both worlds b
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #18
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Most of my crappy cheap stuff has been slowly replaced by good, high quality stuff.

I'm a big believer in paying more for quality gear, IF it's actually quality.
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #19
GA Bowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

Crankshafts. Never use a cheap crankshaft.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #20
Farmdog
Ten Point

I farm with chunk, but pay the price to keep it going. I’ve always preferred land payments to equipment payments, if I drop dead my kids owe little on equipment. My auction won’t matter at all
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #21
Farmdog
Ten Point

Chunk rymes with junk! Fancy phone corrects me inaccurately or it’s the baby beers
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #22
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

I’ll spend good money on tools, vehicles, and equipment. But I will shop for the best deal I can get. I have bought many cheaper tools over the years, wrenches, sockets, ratchets etc, but they all live in the truck tool box so if they are stolen I ain’t out much. The good stuff stays at the house to work with when there.
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #23
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I had an Eggnormous burrito at BurgerKing this morning. I’ll find out if it was worth it tomorrow morning.....
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #24
BO-N-ARO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas / Missouri / Africa

Buy the best you can afford.
BO-N-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #25
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I had an Eggnormous burrito at BurgerKing this morning. Iíll find out if it was worth it tomorrow morning.....
You can hold it till tomorrow morning? That's endurance!!
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #26
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
Buy the best you can afford.
This.
I won't buy a Swarovski glass although admittedly they are the best and worth it to those who get their money's worth out of them. A big game guide in Colorado or Alaska for example.
Looking at deer at the feeder Leupold does everything I need them to. Even if I go on an occasional western hunt they fill the bill for me. I can't justify spending it for what I would use it for.
Then again I'll buy Dewalt tools for using formby business all day long.
I'd rather have good enough than spend extra to prove something to the guy next to me at the gun range.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #27
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I'd like to hear a list of what people think is worth more money. I don't mind paying more IF I know it's going to last.

Boots
Some tools
Quality rifles and pistols, but not real expensive
Bows

A lot of stuff is built to throw away today, and in some cases that is a good thing and sometimes not. I will generally buy mid range price things for most of what i buy. I don't need the flashy electronic stuff and things like that, but what i buy i want to work. Some things I won't skimp on because sometimes it is too expensive to buy cheap stuff. Unfortunately many times you don't know what is cheap stuff till you buy it, and some times it ain't cheap haha

PS I banned my wife from the dollar store cause everything in that place that is not name brand is JUNK and cost way more in headache than any pennies saved HAHA
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #28
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

A Van Staal for surf fishing is a bit overkill but it ain’t my money. I buy quality gear, but not the most expensive out there. Id much rather spend spend $2-300 on a quality reel and go to the Chandeleur Islands fishing than spend $1k on a reel.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #29
rbsears
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan Co

Had a similar (although notably different) conversation with my wife today. I’m turning 40. We’re taking a long weekend trip. Spared no expense. Maybe we can take memories with us to heaven, maybe not. I don’t care. Memories won’t break or get stolen. I don’t think I can take my left~handed Benelli SBE ll that I got for my 30th, however. I’ll have something even better. (And it’s a dang nice gun!)
rbsears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #30
Austin
Ten Point

Had a buddy who used to say “cool s*** ain’t cheap and cheap s*** ain’t cool
Austin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #31
Crippl3creek
Spike

Hunt In: South Texas

Agree, best you can afford. Camera equipment is one of my big ones, but I second buying the best used.
Crippl3creek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #32
JANKEII
Four Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

I spend alot of money on what I use alot.
My bed and car.
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #33
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I like nice things.

A 1k fishing reel would only lead to fights with my buddies on the days they out fished me and wouldn't shut up about my 1k reel
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #34
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Kinda funny story about the good stuff. Took my oldest grandson deer hunting Missouri youth weekend last year for some reason he started googling the price of my equipment (the stuff he was using). He was shooting a Sako 85 hunter in 7mm-08 with Swarovski Z5 watching deer through Swarovski SLC 10x40’s and sitting in a Summit Vine ladder stand. After the weekend hunt he told his momma that he didn’t know hunting was that expensive and he needed to go to college so he could make enough money to afford to hunt. I guess he didn’t realize Paw Paw ain’t gonna be able to hunt forever. Like I posted earlier your grandkids will thank you for buying the good stuff.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #35
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pandora

Tools seemed to be mentioned quite a bit on this thread, I been selling tools for a living a long time. I will take in other brands of hand tools for trade ins, Snap On, Mac and sometimes Cornwell stuff I will take in trade. I can resell those brands fairly easy.

I will not take big box store brands, Harbor Freight, Craftsman, Gearwrench or any other off branded tools. The only way I can sell those off brand tools is to pile them in a 5 gallon bucket for 20.00. I read threads on TBH about cordless brands and have to say that there is a lot of misconceptions out there.

Common sense will tell you that a used Leupold scope is worth more used than a Vortex. Brand name stuff made in USA will always bring a premium price in a used market.

I like to think that when I lay down my money for something that it will last.

Last edited by Radar; 08-21-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #36
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Most of my crappy cheap stuff has been slowly replaced by good, high quality stuff.

I'm a big believer in paying more for quality gear, IF it's actually quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
Boots
Some tools
Quality rifles and pistols, but not real expensive
Bows

A lot of stuff is built to throw away today, and in some cases that is a good thing and sometimes not. I will generally buy mid range price things for most of what i buy. I don't need the flashy electronic stuff and things like that, but what i buy i want to work. Some things I won't skimp on because sometimes it is too expensive to buy cheap stuff. Unfortunately many times you don't know what is cheap stuff till you buy it, and some times it ain't cheap haha

PS I banned my wife from the dollar store cause everything in that place that is not name brand is JUNK and cost way more in headache than any pennies saved HAHA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
"Buy once. Cry once."
Quote:

These all remind me of the guy trying to buy a clitoris (sp)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #37
Rubberdown
Ten Point

Spend money on:

shoes
tools
guns
knives
lawn mower
weed eater
blower
chainsaw

I'd like a good watch to give to my son when he graduates school.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #38
geezer56
Six Point

Clitoris? Those are cheaper to rent than buy.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #39
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
These all remind me of the guy trying to buy a clitoris (sp)
Why buy when you can have access to one?
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #40
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Dang.
I agree to a extend but feel like a 1k reel is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari to use when you were sick and tired of a cheap kia. Lots a good quality in between those options that are great quality

Last edited by 150class; 08-21-2019 at 10:08 AM.
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #41
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Quote:
Oh you paid for it..
eastxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #42
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
My grandpa used to say "why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?"
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #43
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camouflage

Quote:
French's Mustard & Heinz Ketchup
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #44
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Shoes- Its what you don't see that makes quality footwear worth it.
Tools- Because a cheap one is dang sure going to break at the worst time.
Steaks- Life is too short not to eat Prime.
Wine- See above
Whiskey- See above
Plastic Surgeons- See above
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #45
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Depends on what it is. Certain gear is worth the money, but not always necessary. I have no doubt that the high dollar backpacks and frames are worth the money compared to my thrown together molle frame, but the benefit over cost isnt very attractive, and isnt necessary either (I can still perform same function).
Same thing with work shoes. I bought some Allen Edmonds for 400ish, and they're still like brand new. Beats buying 80-100 shoes every year. Plus they can redo them for 125 bucks in the future. Comfort is worth it too.
Guns, tech has progressed to the point where benefit over cost is falling and most anything for 500 bucks can get the same job done to a point. I've switched to a stick bow so same thing there haha.

Unless the cost to benefit is great or theres some functional difference or inherent quality difference ( we could all live off chicken feet, rice, beans but I'd rather enjoy good food that's good for me), I'm going for what makes sense at cost per dollar and necessary function.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #46
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Had a buddy who used to say ďcool s*** ainít cheap and cheap s*** ainít cool
I like it. I tend to say it cost money to go fast which sums up the ops opinion and the above.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #47
cjk349
Spike

Hunt In: Karnes and Val Verde Counties, Colorado

Worth it. One thing I never skimp on is optics. You definitely get what you pay for in that world. If Wal-Mart carries it you probably don't want it.
cjk349 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #48
alwaysinshorts
Ten Point

Lots of great points. I used to buy all “nicer tools” but I don’t really do very much when it comes to using them. But when I do I have dewalt and hitichi. But it has also as come back to bite me. I once purchased a dewalt finishing nailer. I think I paid 100-130 for it. Used it for two projects and then it sat in my garage for a few years. Then when I needed it again it didn’t work. The o-ring has a leak in it. I sent it off to get it repaired and cost me 65 dollars. It took them 3 weeks to get it back. In the meantime I went to harbor freight and bought one of theirs for 23 dollars and it worked just fine. It’s been in the garage for two years now. In this case the more expensive one wasn’t a good deal.
alwaysinshorts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top