No announcement yet.

Summer time RV upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a little more work done on this thing after work today. Just about done with the led awning light. It's mounted,wired, and just about done. I had to run a little bit of wire on the outside, but once I get done adhesive zip tie mounts it will clean up great. this one did not easy access to power close to the awning so I tapped into another switch in a storage hatch.

I will take a pic when it gets dark, these lights have lots of power. This one is 20' so it may put off a little more than the 16' light I had before.

Comment

sweet!...I have found that adding a drop of super glue to the back of the zip tie holder pieces...make they stay in place for a VERY long time

Comment

I use the bubble foil stuff and velcro for my skylights and windows. I have some standing circular osculating fans that I use to move air around. I have the 15k BTU AC as well. Mine is a 28' trailer and I wish I had 2 ACs. We do a lot of camping in the summer and when it's 100 degrees outside, it has trouble keeping it cool with just 1. I am probably going to buy one of those stand alone room AC units and put in the front bed area which is my bed area.

Here is what I use for my skylights:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150716_16_13_26_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	24391921

uncovered lets a lot of light/heat in

Name:	WP_20150716_16_18_57_Pro.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	24391922

Covered blocks most of the light/heat. I've since added more Velcro and it fits tighter and keeps more of the light/heat out.

Name:	WP_20150716_16_26_27_Pro.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	24391923

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

BigL here is the site I got my unit from. Best deal I could find anywhere. It was $502 shipped with insurance.

Comment

Awning light installed!

Comment

All the way dimmed in the dark. It makes a very nice glow that is not hard to find your way under

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                  Got a little more work done on this thing after work today. Just about done with the led awning light. It's mounted,wired, and just about done. I had to run a little bit of wire on the outside, but once I get done adhesive zip tie mounts it will clean up great. this one did not easy access to power close to the awning so I tapped into another switch in a storage hatch.

I will take a pic when it gets dark, these lights have lots of power. This one is 20' so it may put off a little more than the 16' light I had before.
                  How did you run the rest of your wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I guess we got lucky with ours. It has a 13.5k btu central air unit and it will freeze you out in there.

I'm going to check out some of the mods on the link above though.
                    They can be adequate for moderate sized trailers, but they have to work harder. Slides and stuff make trailers less efficient as well. Dad had a 28' with a big slide that came with a 13.5 and it wouldn't keep up like you'd hope during these hundred degree days. It was ducted also, which can be less effective imo.

I had a 10' popup one time that someone had put a 15k on and it was AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      They can be adequate for moderate sized trailers, but they have to work harder. Slides and stuff make trailers less efficient as well. Dad had a 28' with a big slide that came with a 13.5 and it wouldn't keep up like you'd hope during these hundred degree days. It was ducted also, which can be less effective imo.

I had a 10' popup one time that someone had put a 15k on and it was AWESOME!

Yeah mine is 28' and no slide.

Lol, I bet it would freeze you out of that pop up.

Comment

Awesome thread! We just got a Coachmen very similar to this except a bunkhouse. 2nd A/C is high on the get list for sure. We have the leds throughout and they actually put out more heat than I thought they would. Definately gonna use some of your other ideas..thanks! Dealer wants $895 to put in that front a/c!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                          Awesome thread! We just got a Coachmen very similar to this except a bunkhouse. 2nd A/C is high on the get list for sure. We have the leds throughout and they actually put out more heat than I thought they would. Definately gonna use some of your other ideas..thanks! Dealer wants $895 to put in that front a/c!
                          Where we bought the camper they told me the A/C alone was $850 plus install at $125 an hour. Those things are crazy easy to put in, they basically sandwich between the roof and make a seal. I bet yours is pre wired if also if it's 50 amp. Also they are not ducted in the front so it will basically cool the front room and bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                            sweet!...I have found that adding a drop of super glue to the back of the zip tie holder pieces...make they stay in place for a VERY long time
                            Will do! Thank you sir.

Comment

Hmm might have to do the led bulbs in my camper, the current bulbs get very hot. Is it just a plug and play led bulb?

Comment

Originally posted by TxGiant View Post
                                Hmm might have to do the led bulbs in my camper, the current bulbs get very hot. Is it just a plug and play led bulb?
                                That's it. Really simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X