Cooking Alligator Gar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Alligator Gar?

Caught an alligator gar and was wondering how to take off the hard shell and suggestions for cooking it! Thanks..

Youtube how to clean gar. You can cut it thin and fry it or bake it if it is a smaller one.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
      Youtube how to clean gar. You can cut it thin and fry it or bake it if it is a smaller one.
      Are they even worth the trouble? Are they pretty tasty?

Comment

Ive never eaten a gar so im interested how they taste as well ?????

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
          Are they even worth the trouble? Are they pretty tasty?
          Going to do a little bowfishing with a friend. He claims they are tasty.

Comment

on the pit....leave the skin on and season with lemon and garlic, salt and pepper and that good ol pecan or mesquite smoke and of course its ready when the meat flakes! enjoy its dang good
            Last edited by Desperado; 06-18-2012, 11:00 AM. Reason: crazy i guess

Comment

We've fried gar and catfish both at a fish fry, and people ate them the same. Slightly different texture on the gar, but I think it's just as good as catfish.

Sharpen your machete or axe before trying to skin 'em!

Comment

Very white, flakey meat. Good flavor and not greasy. All we did was fillet the backs out of them. They eat live fish and catfish will eat anything that is in the water, anything and you love catfish don't you. Gator gar is good!

Comment

I've heard they're good, but I've never had gar.

Comment

I think this is like the "cooking javelina" thread. Put it on a plank, cook it a while, throw the fish away and eat the plank.

Comment

Friend of mine in Corpus cuts the backstraps out and soaks them in 7up, they tase great.

Comment

Gar backstrap is good. Just a pain to get to the meat...

Comment

good to eat, pain to clean

use tin snips on the scales. works good.

Comment

I drill a hole behind the head big enough to get tin snips in and cut with the tin snips down the back and down each side behind the head and towards the tail. Then cut out the backstrap. If big enuff we cut into small filets or cut into small cubes. Its good fried.

I have seen people use a machette and a hatchet to cut the skin. I dont have them skills.

Comment

Gar meat is great. I always season with Blackened seasoning put it in one of those grilling baskets and put it on the BBQ. Brush on butter and garlic while cooking.

PS use a skill saw to cut down the back and you can cut out the "backstraps".

Comment

Working...
                              X