Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA
Default What is a Fire Fighter worth?

Well written! This puts it in perspective.

http://m.valleybreeze.com/node/32297...mqW5F.facebook

Last edited by TXFireFighter; 05-04-2012 at 03:46 PM..
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Texantax
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Magnolia, Rocksprings, Johnson City

. Too bad it will probably never change for us though.
Texantax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
firefyter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missouri, Kansas, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantax View Post
. Too bad it will probably never change for us though.
x2 ^^^^^^^^^^
firefyter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Pipeman
Spike

Jack, get back to work!!!
Pipeman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
strait shooter
Six Point

Not much without mechanics to keep the trucks running, field ops ans street crews to keep the streets and infrastructure intact, water department employees to keep the water flowing...

I'm not saying this for every city, but my city council has thrown the general employee under the buss the past few years in order to keep the police and fire unions appeased.
strait shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait shooter View Post
Not much without mechanics to keep the trucks running, field ops ans street crews to keep the streets and infrastructure intact, water department employees to keep the water flowing...

I'm not saying this for every city, but my city council has thrown the general employee under the buss the past few years in order to keep the police and fire unions appeased.

Last edited by rocky; 05-04-2012 at 08:48 PM..
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
txffmike
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas, South Louisiana

glad to see this being printed somewhere...
txffmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Easyrider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson, Llano,

Great Post, and thank's to all FireFighter's and Police who put their life
on the Line Daily.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Quote:

Did you even read the passage or did you just comment? Sorry your city has thrown the "general" employee under the "buss". I however dont believe that the police and fire unions are at fault. Have you ever looked at your citys payroll from top to bottom? Brother we are general employees! And yes I do appreciate all the other general employees that keep us out doing our job everyday. As long as you keep that mind set neither of us will get ahead. My city just hired some kind of biologist for 125K+/yr to tell parks and rec how to properly trim trees and where to plant trees. You think those employees that are out all day everyday doing this need someone behind a desk to tell them how to do there job! Take a look at the big picture before you start pointin fingers. Oh and sorry you never made it into fire school.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
strait shooter
Six Point

Txfirefighter, I was attacking you or any other firefighter. I was just stating what has happened here.
strait shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet Co.

Straight Shooter, I understand your position, however, don't forget that firemen and cops are general employees as well (like was stated). When the City Manager puts the city on a "strategic hiring freeze" yet continues to make $250,000 a year, and continues to hire his personal "assistants" while we can't fill open positions in Fire or any department, something is WRONG. In many cities, the City Counsel refuses to raise taxes (a mixed blessing from my persective of being an employee AND taxpayer), yet also refuses to reduce any services. Simple economics tells us that you cannot expect to get the same service for the same price from year to year. Inflation makes it so that the cost of everything rises, why would city services be any different? You just have to come to the realization that either some services will have to be reduced, or revenew will have to increase somehow. What gets me is that these cities hire City Managers to run the business of the city and make budgetary recommendations, and pay them very well. City Managers of all people should understand simple enconomics, yet many seem to think they can do the same thing from year to year without increasing the budget, it just doesn't work that way. I've presented a plan that would reduce fuel consumption in one particular department by 3/4 (yes, that's 75%, meaning they would only spend 1/4 what they currently do) and would also reduce maintenance costs in that department significantly, but it falls on deaf ears because they refuse to reduce a service which is not neccessary at the level they are at currently. The police and fire services are already operating at minimum staffing in most places, but you want to cut those services instead of.....say.....Parks and Recreation? Priorities my man. And I do understand that my priorities are going to be different than the priorities of the next guy, but come on, life safety vs new parks with lush green freshly cut grass and trash trucks that drive every street and alley in town in both directions twice a week? Seems like a no brainer to me. We can build new parks, fertilize and water the grass (even when citizens are on water restriction) keep the grass mowed, etc, but we can't give employees (from any department, not just police or fire) a standard cost of living adjustment? There are certain services that are essential to any city, water/sewage, police/fire/ems, trash pickup, streets etc. The rest, well, unfortunately, they are non-essential services and should be the first to be cut. My personal oppinion is that water service and life safety services should be the last to take budget cuts. Your oppinion may differ, and that's okay with me, but please don't assume that police and firemen are overpaid or getting benefits that other employees are not getting. If you want to see CITY EMPLOYEES getting the cream of the crop in compensation (pay, benefits etc) look away from civil service employees, and look just above department heads, as in CITY HALL....kinda like our federal government.

Sorry for the rant, we've gotten off topic. The OP posted an article about what firemen were worth, same article could be written in regards to soldiers, police officers, etc. The point of the article, as I read it, is that certain occupations get paid certain wages, and some of them may (or may not) be unjustly low when you consider the risks they endure and the normal comforts of living they give up. Is it wrong for a firefighter to make more money than the guy who keeps his fire engine on the road? I don't know, maybe it is, but is it also wrong for a bank president to make more money than a teller? Is it also wrong for a mechanic to make more money than the guy who sells delivers parts?

Last edited by txfireguy2003; 05-04-2012 at 11:33 PM..
txfireguy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
Straight Shooter, I understand your position, however, don't forget that firemen and cops are general employees as well (like was stated). When the City Manager puts the city on a "strategic hiring freeze" yet continues to make $250,000 a year, and continues to hire his personal "assistants" while we can't fill open positions in Fire or any department, something is WRONG. In many cities, the City Counsel refuses to raise taxes (a mixed blessing from my persective of being an employee AND taxpayer), yet also refuses to reduce any services. Simple economics tells us that you cannot expect to get the same service for the same price from year to year. Inflation makes it so that the cost of everything rises, why would city services be any different? You just have to come to the realization that either some services will have to be reduced, or revenew will have to increase somehow. What gets me is that these cities hire City Managers to run the business of the city and make budgetary recommendations, and pay them very well. City Managers of all people should understand simple enconomics, yet many seem to think they can do the same thing from year to year without increasing the budget, it just doesn't work that way. I've presented a plan that would reduce fuel consumption in one particular department by 3/4 (yes, that's 75%, meaning they would only spend 1/4 what they currently do) and would also reduce maintenance costs in that department significantly, but it falls on deaf ears because they refuse to reduce a service which is not neccessary at the level they are at currently. The police and fire services are already operating at minimum staffing in most places, but you want to cut those services instead of.....say.....Parks and Recreation? Priorities my man. And I do understand that my priorities are going to be different than the priorities of the next guy, but come on, life safety vs new parks with lush green freshly cut grass and trash trucks that drive every street and alley in town in both directions twice a week? Seems like a no brainer to me. We can build new parks, fertilize and water the grass (even when citizens are on water restriction) keep the grass mowed, etc, but we can't give employees (from any department, not just police or fire) a standard cost of living adjustment? There are certain services that are essential to any city, water/sewage, police/fire/ems, trash pickup, streets etc. The rest, well, unfortunately, they are non-essential services and should be the first to be cut. My personal oppinion is that water service and life safety services should be the last to take budget cuts. Your oppinion may differ, and that's okay with me, but please don't assume that police and firemen are overpaid or getting benefits that other employees are not getting. If you want to see CITY EMPLOYEES getting the cream of the crop in compensation (pay, benefits etc) look away from civil service employees, and look just above department heads, as in CITY HALL....kinda like our federal government.

Sorry for the rant, we've gotten off topic. The OP posted an article about what firemen were worth, same article could be written in regards to soldiers, police officers, etc. The point of the article, as I read it, is that certain occupations get paid certain wages, and some of them may (or may not) be unjustly low when you consider the risks they endure and the normal comforts of living they give up. Is it wrong for a firefighter to make more money than the guy who keeps his fire engine on the road? I don't know, maybe it is, but is it also wrong for a bank president to make more money than a teller? Is it also wrong for a mechanic to make more money than the guy who sells delivers parts?
Well said brother.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Quote:
Txfirefighter, I was attacking you or any other firefighter. I was just stating what has happened here.
No problem and I apologize if I offended you. I think txfireguy stated the point that I was trying to get across. To each his own.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFireFighter View Post
Did you even read the passage or did you just comment? Sorry your city has thrown the "general" employee under the "buss". I however dont believe that the police and fire unions are at fault. Have you ever looked at your citys payroll from top to bottom? Brother we are general employees! And yes I do appreciate all the other general employees that keep us out doing our job everyday. As long as you keep that mind set neither of us will get ahead. My city just hired some kind of biologist for 125K+/yr to tell parks and rec how to properly trim trees and where to plant trees. You think those employees that are out all day everyday doing this need someone behind a desk to tell them how to do there job! Take a look at the big picture before you start pointin fingers. Oh and sorry you never made it into fire school.
You sound like a real loser...
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
bowhunter14
Four Point

Hunt In: Haskell, wherever i can

Well written!! and thank you to all firefighters i hope to be with yall some day!!
bowhunter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #16
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Tx

It is too bad that this won't change anything...I catch flack that a few co workers know I'm considering a career change after 10years of FF.

I'm just sick of being treated being treated like crap by, the public and city admin. I literally have hit my breaking point and it's happening more and more frequently...I ask myself "is it really worth it?"
Txfirerescue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Txfirerescue, I understand your sentiment. We are all tired of getting shafted by city admin, but I guss I've never been treated poorly by citizens. But wow, after 10 years, I couldn't leave if I wanted to, too much vested in the retirement plan. Oh yeah, and it doesn't seem to matter what you do anymore, there's always somebody above you trying to give you the shaft. The says of employer/employee loyalty are long gone in most places.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

I honestly don't mind the city admin as much as I do the citizens. I worked 5 years in a decent community but for the last 5 have worked "the ghetto", higher call volume, worse pay and more to deal with.

Ive heard of burnt out medics, but as a FF Medic I really don't think that's what is, I'm just plain sick of the down talk and I've lost the enjoyment of helping people that could easily help themselves. Don't get me wrong, we run our fair share of serious fire and medic calls but there's more BS than the others.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

The city I work for is great, the pay is better than climbing poles like I used to.
It's a great career but the most boring one I have ever had (except for about 10% of the time) no firefighter is being under paid for the job we do. No city has unlimited proceeds to dole out. I do miss my wife and kids when I am not home, I do feel under appreciated by the public from time to time but rarely never by my employer.
I did like the article and it was well written but had a feeling it was skillfully written with an agenda by union members wife
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
lanceodom
Eight Point

Hunt In: McMullen & Webb County

Quote:
Txfirerescue, I understand your sentiment. We are all tired of getting shafted by city admin, but I guss I've never been treated poorly by citizens. But wow, after 10 years, I couldn't leave if I wanted to, too much vested in the retirement plan. Oh yeah, and it doesn't seem to matter what you do anymore, there's always somebody above you trying to give you the shaft. The says of employer/employee loyalty are long gone in most places.

there's always somebody above you trying to give you the shaft.

It sounds like you are a victim? Everyone chooses their own career path and no one is owed anything. As long as there is an endless supply of labor and relative low barrier to entry, things will never change. this applies to any industry and not just FF.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceodom View Post

It sounds like you are a victim? Everyone chooses their own career path and no one is owed anything. As long as there is an endless supply of labor and relative low barrier to entry, things will never change. this applies to any industry and not just FF.
That's funny, I thought we were posting on a thread talking where the topic was about FF pay and issues???

My fault for not understanding, and never did I say I was a victim, but merely commenting my side. I hope this thread gets deleted like rest.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceodom View Post

Nope, not a victim at all, just stating my experience which is that, in all industries, there is always someone saying you make too much money and trying to cut your benefits. There is always some pencil pusher upstairs trying to cut costs and increase profit on the backs of the workers, instead of looking for a way to increase revenew by creating a more desirable product. It's the "I'm not getting rich enough, so I'm going to cut costs and increase my margin instead of doing something to better my business" mentality.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
Captain39
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Txfirerescue, I know what you are going through. I have worked on engine companys that make over 3000 runs and drove a Basic Ambulance in the Ghetto the made over 4300 runs a year. You need to promote, or promote out of suppresion to arson or inspection. At least make your 20yrs before leaving, but have a plan.

Last edited by Captain39; 05-05-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
Captain39
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
It's a great career but the most boring one I have ever had (except for about 10% of the time) no firefighter is being under paid for the job we do.
Boring? not under paid. No firefighter is being under paid? You need to come to Houston and ride along, might change your mind. My engine proably make more runs in a month then you do in a year.
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Rocksprings, Lexington and with CM every time I go out.

I feel your pain! I'm not a FF but I do work for the city in a certified possition that many think is a waiste and that we make too much as it is.
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
CADDOKILLER
Ten Point

This is not ment specifically for the op but...

So tired of hearing everyone ***** about what they make and how they are treated. You new that being a firemen, police officer, city worker, maintance men, trucker etc. dont get paid crap when YOU took the job! No one is forcing any of us to stay where we are. If your not happy, go back to school and get a degree in something thats going to pay well. Doctor, lawyer, engineer etc. Get your masters in goverment and run for office and change things! Go to your city council meetings, call your representatives. Go door to door and tell people why they should vote for YOU for city manager. DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW YOUR MISTREATED. Cuz trust me 90% of the working class think the same way you do. Sorry for the rant... Let the complaining procede... And yes I'm under paid and under appreciated too
CADDOKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain39 View Post
boring? Not under paid. No firefighter is being under paid? You need to come to houston and ride along, might change your mind. My engine proably make more runs in a month then you do in a year.
x10
Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #28
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain39 View Post
Txfirerescue, I know what you are going through. I have worked on engine companys that make over 3000 runs and drove a Basic Ambulance in the Ghetto the made over 4300 runs a year. You need to promote, or promote out of suppresion to arson or inspection. At least make your 20yrs before leaving, but have a plan.
I'm going to skip the comment above mine as I already expressed my feelings on that...

I can't agree more bud. This has been a 2 year process that I have thought, planned out then went back to the drawing board.

There's no room for promotion which sucks. So I've explored options. It just sucks that I see not necessarily younger but GREEN guys go gung ho into this career think it will never happen to them. I was the same way. Never thought I would get tired of it. I still give the citizens 100% but I feel the system is used and abused day in and day out and there's nothing I am allowed to say that will change it.

I do arson in my near future. Last option I have is getting my TCLEOSE.

Last edited by Txfirerescue; 05-05-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #29
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADDOKILLER View Post

So tired of hearing everyone ***** about what they make and how they are treated. You new that being a firemen, police officer, city worker, maintance men, trucker etc. dont get paid crap when YOU took the job! No one is forcing any of us to stay where we are. If your not happy, go back to school and get a degree in something thats going to pay well. Doctor, lawyer, engineer etc. Get your masters in goverment and run for office and change things! Go to your city council meetings, call your representatives. Go door to door and tell people why they should vote for YOU for city manager. DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW YOUR MISTREATED. Cuz trust me 90% of the working class think the same way you do. Sorry for the rant... Let the complaining procede... And yes I'm under paid and under appreciated too
For the record, a new City Mgr came in and lowered our pay bracket. I've "lost" $13000 already this year from the restructure. I know, boo hoo me, I went from $48.50 an hour down to $26.30

Just sain, I knew what it paid going in and constantly we in Public Service get shafted. I'm thankfull to be working but the way we are treated is wrong!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

Quote:

Actually I think I will comment...

Your complete lack of knowledge on the subject matter completely astonishes me as to why commented on the matter in the first place.

For most of us (firefighters, medics, peace officers) who wanted to be in this career, I honesty don't remember and highly doubt that from the ages of 9-18 or whatever age matter was it a KNOWN fact of how much you make nor did it matter.

But, for the years I went to school for this which is the equivalent of a 2 year degree (not including the 1000 plus CE hours I maintain a year, and classes I take to improve in my career), which I have, I would imagine and EXPECT to be paid enough to support a family. I will put my job on it that unless you are a engineer or captain on up that 100% of firefighters who support a family do it on DUAL income.

When was the last time you received a raise? Last year? After the end of your fiscal year? I have NOT received a raise in 3 years, for whatever reason they come up with. My city has changed insurance 5 times since then which the insurance is decent, not great by any means, for a single guy. But don't even think about supporting a family on it.

So combine, no raise, crappy salary, horrible insurance and being treated like crap; to answer your question...no I was never told at any point THOSE things when getting into this career.

And you make the suggestion to go back to school to become something I don't want to be? That's amusing.

Last edited by Txfirerescue; 05-05-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

I'm going to bump this back to the top. If we have more people across the boards that will go to the City Counsel meetings and speak up, it may make a diffrence.

~Michael Tapatalkin on the droid
Old 05-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #32
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Caddokiller, what you fail to realize is that we didn't get into this career with intentions of getting rich, but we did get into it expecting certain things, namely, a decent living, certain benefits (reasonable health insurance, retirement etc), a certain degree of respect etc. When I got in, yes, I made a good living, had great insurance coverage that cost me next to nothing, and when the cost of living went up, we got a small raise to offset that increase. That all stopped about 4 years ago, we're still making the same money we were back then, but it costs a ton more to live now. Add to that the fact that my insurance coverage has decreased in value and increased in cost every year since I started, about the only thing they haven't touched in my retirement, and that's only because we have a private retirement plan that is not managed by the city.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #33
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Caddokiller, what you fail to realize is that we didn't get into this career with intentions of getting rich, but we did get into it expecting certain things, namely, a decent living, certain benefits (reasonable health insurance, retirement etc), a certain degree of respect etc. When I got in, yes, I made a good living, had great insurance coverage that cost me next to nothing, and when the cost of living went up, we got a small raise to offset that increase. That all stopped about 4 years ago, we're still making the same money we were back then, but it costs a ton more to live now. Add to that the fact that my insurance coverage has decreased in value and increased in cost every year since I started, about the only thing they haven't touched in my retirement, and that's only because we have a private retirement plan that is not managed by the city.

Thank you!

My retirement has gone down. I remember when I started 8 yrs ago mine was earning 10.5%, now it's down to 5%. Local politics has nothing to do with that though...

TTT
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #34
holepuncher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:

Welcome to every Blue Collar worker in Americas world,If you keep the roads in order, keep the water running, the electricity flowing, oil pumping etc. etc. etc.get my drift. FF's are just a piece of the big picture, no different than any other hard working guy who gets up and does a days work. I am not demeaning what you do. Just stating a fact IMO
holepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #35
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain39 View Post
Boring? not under paid. No firefighter is being under paid? You need to come to Houston and ride along, might change your mind. My engine proably make more runs in a month then you do in a year.
But most places aren't Houston.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #36
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I have one question for all the FF that have posted. What is ya'lls average salary per year? I find it hard to see how anyone in the USA can ever complain about what they make especially if they are making 40K a year or better. I am a teacher and knew what my pay was going in and have never complained one time, not even when I made a choice to go from a district paying me 37K a year to one paying me 33K a year. Now if yall are making say 25K a year, I can see a complaint or two.
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #37
Javelin
Pope & Young

Quote:

WOW I think we must be twins, I have been preaching what you just posted for the last year.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #38
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

34k with no raise in 3 years
Old 05-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #39
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

I guess they just don't get what your saying brother. It doesn't matter (well, it does) what your anual is but when you get passed over year after year because some Jerk in a tie wants a bigger bonus, something is wrong!

The next time you're house catches fire, an armed intruder is breaking in, you water main breaks or your lights go out, rest assured that the person responding to fix Your problem is well compensated. I wish the people that have a problem with my brother venting could spend a week in our shoes! Go a week w/o seeing your wife and kids because you are on nights and tell me "you knew this when you joined". Tell me, it's no big deal when you roll up on a 12 year old that was gunned down over a drug deal. Tell me, it's no big deal when it's raining at 3 am and your lights go out. Get a clue, get a life and (yes, I've been drinking) yes, get off this thread!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #40
ratterrier
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florida Cancer Specialists ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I have one question for all the FF that have posted. What is ya'lls average salary per year? I find it hard to see how anyone in the USA can ever complain about what they make especially if they are making 40K a year or better. I am a teacher and knew what my pay was going in and have never complained one time, not even when I made a choice to go from a district paying me 37K a year to one paying me 33K a year. Now if yall are making say 25K a year, I can see a complaint or two.
He posted that he was getting $50 a hour plus insurance and now reduced.

40 hours is $2000 a week times 4 equals $8000 a month plus beneifts, does that make $100,000 a year annual salary for being a fireman or did i miss calculate??
ratterrier is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #41
rocky
Pope & Young

I am a fishing guide.
When the wind blows, I complain.
When I get customers that can't cast, I complain.
When I'm booked several days in a row, I complain.
When I'm not booked, I complain.
Our career is a choice.
We are owed nothing.
Not one career choice designates us as a higher form of life, and all choices have set-baccks and negatives.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #42
lanceodom
Eight Point

Hunt In: McMullen & Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfirerescue View Post
That's funny, I thought we were posting on a thread talking where the topic was about FF pay and issues???

My fault for not understanding, and never did I say I was a victim, but merely commenting my side. I hope this thread gets deleted like rest.
I was not commenting on your post. My comment is entirely about FF pay and why it is what it is.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #43
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:

Have any of you guys that are in the union ever think about the fact that the IAFF's support of 100% liberals ( and that goes for all unions) might have something to do with the changes in bold above? You support liberals and then complain about the effects of Liberalism. YES they go hand and hand
Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #44
holepuncher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Have any of you guys that are in the union ever think about the fact that the IAFF's support of 100% liberals ( and that goes for all unions) might have something to do with the changes in bold above? You support liberals and then complain about the effects of Liberalism. YES they go hand and hand
They don't want to hear that their Unions support the Left.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #45
Javelin
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
I guess they just don't get what your saying brother. It doesn't matter (well, it does) what your anual is but when you get passed over year after year because some Jerk in a tie wants a bigger bonus, something is wrong!

The next time you're house catches fire, an armed intruder is breaking in, you water main breaks or your lights go out, rest assured that the person responding to fix Your problem is well compensated. I wish the people that have a problem with my brother venting could spend a week in our shoes! Go a week w/o seeing your wife and kids because you are on nights and tell me "you knew this when you joined". Tell me, it's no big deal when you roll up on a 12 year old that was gunned down over a drug deal. Tell me, it's no big deal when it's raining at 3 am and your lights go out. Get a clue, get a life and (yes, I've been drinking) yes, get off this thread!!!

With that attitude I could say the same thing about my profession, but I dont, because like I said, I knew all that was involved when I chose to be a teacher, but I dont complain about the kids that grab you by the shirt collar and threaten to hit you, the parents who call you a racist and call the NAACP, the parents who threaten to get you fired because they are on the school board and their kid is failing your class, the parents that try to sue you because you dont treat their kid the correct way, ect. Nor have I complained about not getting my regular raise for the last two years due to the education cuts by the state. Every firefighter to ever put the uniform on should have known those events may happen during their time on the job, as that IS the job. I live my life the way I want and NOBODY owes me ANYTHING. I get what I work for and if I dont like what I get for the work I do, I go find some other work that gives me what I want, I dont complain about being the little man, I work at becoming the big man.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #46
flywise
Pope & Young

Public employees ( I am one) can't look at things the same way a person who works for a business does. Our salary is paid by the public by way of taxes not profits. When there are economic turn downs tax money coming into the city slows down as well. cities then have to adjust the way they spend that money in order to best provide for the tax payers who support the city. So you may get a cut in benefits, isn't that better than a cut in your job?
Why exactly do public employees believe it is the responsibility of the tax payer to pay for their retirement health insurance? or a retirement better than the one the tax payer can afford? I'm a public servant because I enjoy doing what I do. I dont ,however expect my city to provide things for me after I retire. As an adult I can do that for myself.
You want better pay? take a stand against liberalism which means take a stand against your union. When better politictions get in office there is more economic growth= better revenue=petter pay.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #47
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratterrier View Post
He posted that he was getting $50 a hour plus insurance and now reduced.

40 hours is $2000 a week times 4 equals $8000 a month plus beneifts, does that make $100,000 a year annual salary for being a fireman or did i miss calculate??
No, you completely looked over what he did for a living. He's not a FF
Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #48
holepuncher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Hunter View Post

Carry on

Last edited by holepuncher; 05-05-2012 at 07:29 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #49
Txfirerescue
Eight Point

I love the fact that my previously stated comment is being proven by everyone posting
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #50
ratterrier
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florida Cancer Specialists ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfirerescue View Post
No, you completely looked over what he did for a living. He's not a FF
So what were you making before the cuts with beneifts and what have they cut you guys down to now annually??
ratterrier is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top