This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draco View Post
    Billy, I hope you didn't take any thing I said as negative toward you at all. I know that when I met you at Bob's that you were just totally enthralled with sticks and strings. Besides that you are just a good ol' boy and i just wanted you to succeed with the stick bow that I know you love. If this doesn't work then go to the other bow and try it again next year. If you get it down then you won't have a problem sticking a deer, I gaurantee it.
    Its all good Bob!

Lets hope it works. I will keep you posted!

Comment

Thanks for posting, this trad newbie is gonna give it a try. Sorry maybe I over looked it but how far apart arw the dashes above andx below center?

Comment

Thanks for posting, Draco. I'm going to check it out for sure, if it works for me it will put me in the 90% catogory. This is going to help a couple of my students a lot even if it does not work out for me. I can't try it until my shoulders & back heal up. I will let you know how it works out.
        Last edited by Deb; 11-28-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Deb,
          What happen to you?

Comment

Not sure, really. It has to be one of two things. Either my shooting stance has changed in some subtle way or I spend to much time hunched over this computer. I'm thinking it's a bit of both. At any rate, I'm not picking up a bow until I see the Doc.

Comment

Hope you get to feeling better.

I went back and read Draco's post. First marks are four inches from center.

Comment

This is very well done Draco. Martha could understand this.

Of course she (and I) would also have to attain a better judgment of distance in order for gap shooting to work.

Then of course we (she) would have to work out yet another gap quessing method to accommodate shooting up and down hill.

We'll see if gap shooting will help her accuracy. I'm not yet willing to give up on instinctive shooting myself.

Comment

Great stuff here Bob. Despite popular opinion, this is something even I can understand as a visual learner. This is the same basic way that I understood gap shooting to be just illustrated a bit better. I am very anxious to try this when and if my shoulder ever gets healed up and haired over. Thanks for taking the time...

Comment

thanks for posting this im gonna have to try this ive missed two deer this year with the recurve and i think this will work maybe ill be intune with it by next hunting season

Comment

I gave this an initial try this morning.

It was difficult to concentrate at shooting 3 under, establishing my new anchor, new aiming method and focusing on picking a spot at the same time. I need to work at it in pieces before I determine if it will work for me or not.

However, my best friend and trad mentor, Ol Man helped me determine that my instinctive shooting that went to crap was in a big part due to my establishing some bad form / release habits. It took us a better part of 3 hrs to get me back to the basics and back on track. I had to slow everything down from picking a spot, drawing, anchoring and following through after the shot. Kind of amazing that doing all the things that are required to become a decent trad shooter will allow you to do just that!

We also found that my arrow flight was not so good. I had added 100 grain inserts to get my arrow weight up and they became underspined.

I will still be trying Draco's gap style to see if it can work for me, but not likely till spring.

Comment

Bob,
                        Thanks for this posting... I can honestly say that you my friend have done an exemplary job on explaining this. Finally I totally understand this gap thing ya'll talk about! Tried it... it works even split finger but, at my age and all the bad habits I have I shoot far better doing it my way! I really can see this helping an awful lot of people. Thanks once again for taking time to do and explain this so well!

Comment

Great post. This is very helpful

Comment

As a person that has learned to shoot this way from Bob I must admit that it really works. At least for me, and im left handed. The one thing i will would be care full about is to learn the concept first with the diagram to figure out your gaps. Then get to a 3D target. I could kill my bag target all day long but as soon as I moved to my deer target I would miss at the same distance. I figured out that I was aiming at a spot on the target to hit the spot I wanted the arrow to go. take away the spot and i miss. After about three arrows and thinking of the gap I was on again. Then it became VERY simple for me in a short amount of time. I shoot inside my shop all the time now and am confadent out to 25 yrds. Even standing on top of my office for an elavated shot ( Thats right Bob indoor shooting range ) I have only been shooting trad for a year so it works well. Thanks for the class

Comment

I've told a couple of people to check this out. Can't quite imagine myself pulling it off, but I can't wait to try.

Comment

When tryng it out this morning, when I could pull it all together I was very accurate. Switching from what I have been doing to this will be challenging but "may" work!

I have seen Draco shoot and it sure works for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X