3 months salary ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 months salary ??

My first marriage was young and crazy - Im getting old and settled down now, and apparently there is a "rule" for this engagement ring stuff. I was informed an "acceptable" ring needs to be 3 months salary?

Have yall heard of this before? When did this come about?

I always have heard 2 months

Comment

I have heard it and I think it is crazy. Three months salary would buy a rock, but financially for me was dumb. I refuse to finance a ring, but sometimes it works out with 0%.
      Last edited by txhunter90; 04-02-2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Does it really matter? If it does.... it may be the wrong gal.

Comment

Say whaaaaat!!!!!! I proposed without a ring! When we got married we went with simple. Think I paid $150 for her little bitty diamond ring. My ring is $48 Walmart special! 1 year anniversary I did get her an upgrade that was $2500. It's not that we couldn't afford it but didn't really matter. Thankful my wife is simple and not materialistic! Been married 9 yrs.
          Last edited by Antlers86; 04-02-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
            I have heard it and I think it is crazy. Three months salary would buy a rock, but financially for me was dumb.
            Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Does it really matter? If it does.... it may be the wrong gal.
            ^^^This^^^

If you are going to start of by trying to keep up with the Jones, it might be a hard row to hoe later on IMHO.

CONGRATS on the engagement/wedding!!
            Last edited by Pedernal; 04-02-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I’d go wife shopping instead of ring shopping if she had told me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

3 months has been around a long time (at least 20 years). . . surprised it isn't 4 months these days. Buy what she has indicated she wants.

Comment

That was a saying created & promoted by the female species.

Comment

I would go with a 1 month salary and tell her I thought you said 1 month not 3. Guess I have selective hearing. By the way will you marry me? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                      I’d go wife shopping instead of ring shopping if she had told me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMAO! I nearly spewed my coffee all over my laptop!

Comment

I will tell you like Dave Ramsey told me, do not go into debt for a ring. Also, do not over spend. Unless you are a millionaire and extremely wealthy and have disposable income to just throw away, no one has any business over spending for a ring.

If anything under-spend, then on your 5 year anniversary, buy her an upgrade if she's still worried about it.

Also, something else I learned. All of the salesmen will sell you on the 4 C's...Cut, Clarity, Color and Carat. I would say, buy a bigger diamond that might not have as much clarity. A woman, nor her friends will ever look under a microscope at all of the imperfections that the diamond includes.

I spent more money on a diamond that was premium clarity and color but it wasn't as big as others in the same price range.

This is all just food for thought and maybe I am rambling. If I did it over again, the only thing I would do differently is buy a bigger one that might not be as "Desirable" in the jewelry community. It's not an investment that will appreciate over time, it's a sunk cost.....

Comment

I prefer low maintenance!

Comment

Maybe 3 WEEKS salary.....and after taxes!

Comment

Now way I would spend 3 month salary on a ring . Im lucky my wife is low maintenance. To both of use the cost of the ring has nothing to do with our marriage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X