Red Stag stinky antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Stag stinky antlers

What can I do? They had some rotten velvet when shot. The taxi in New Zealand boiled and cleaned them prior to shipping. I have washed them twice with mild soap and let set in the sun for few days. They still have some funk.

What do I do guys? I have them for at least 6 months before local Taxi needs them. They stay in the garage for now. Because they stink that bad.

Thanks

Sean

Spray them with Dead Down Wind. Twice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Would baking soda change their color? If not, bury them in a pile of baking soda for a few months. Maybe salt instead or in addition to baking soda?

Comment

I've experienced the same thing with a moose shed. I know the exact smell you are talking about and it is like nothing else. Wish I could help you with getting rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Would baking soda change their color? If not, bury them in a pile of baking soda for a few months. Maybe salt instead or in addition to baking soda?
          At this point color doesn't matter. They are bone white already. I will have to stain and polish them at some point.

I have a pool and thought about soaking in hot tub for a while lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
            At this point color doesn't matter. They are bone white already. I will have to stain and polish them at some point.

I think the heavy chlorine in the hot tub would start eating up the antlers don’t think I’d try that for any length of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post

I'd try ozone for a few days. Do you have an ozonics unit? If not, I bet somebody you know does. If that doesn't get all the odor out, then cover it in baking soda. You could even simmer it in baking soda and borax if you had something big enough to hold enough water to submerge it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                I'd try ozone for a few days. Do you have an ozonics unit? If not, I bet somebody you know does. If that doesn't get all the odor out, then cover it in baking soda. You could even simmer it in baking soda and borax if you had something big enough to hold enough water to submerge it.

This, I would semi-seal them in a bag and use an ozone machine

Comment

Paint them

Comment

Maybe bring to a taxidermist and let the beetles eat on them awhile.

Comment

I have an Ulu knife with a caribou antler handle I bought in Alaska. It started stinking so bad shortly after I brought it home I could not stand to be in the same room with it.

I tried everything. Finally someone on a taxidermist forum mentioned using Lysol Consentrate All purpose cleaner. I did not dilute it. Wiped it all over the bone with a rag thoroughly wet with the concentrate. Didn't wipe it off let it sit over night washed with soap and water next day. It took two of those treatments but it did work.

Comment

If they're clean, as in no velvet left on them, just let them air out. The smell will eventually go away.

I would not put them in your hot tub. It will make the hot tub stink, and the chlorine will damage the bone.

You can wash them with a very strong solution of Dawn and hot water, like 1:1 strong. That will help some. At this point, any disinfectant will help. Just not Simple Green; it will give them a green tint that may or may not cover when you re-color them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                          If they're clean, as in no velvet left on them, just let them air out. The smell will eventually go away.

I would not put them in your hot tub. It will make the hot tub stink, and the chlorine will damage the bone.

You can wash them with a very strong solution of Dawn and hot water, like 1:1 strong. That will help some. At this point, any disinfectant will help. Just not Simple Green; it will give them a green tint that may or may not cover when you re-color them.
                          This man knows! Do this
                          We would wash with concentrated Lysol mixed with water and scrub with a sponge then let them air dry a few months then mix potassium permagenate (however it’s spelled) and paint thinner and stain them back. Wear gloves and use steel wool and a sponge. So you can this the coloring soon after it oxidizes on the tips.
                          Hope it all works out
                          -Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                            This man knows! Do this
                            We would wash with concentrated Lysol mixed with water and scrub with a sponge then let them air dry a few months then mix potassium permagenate (however it’s spelled) and paint thinner and stain them back. Wear gloves and use steel wool and a sponge. So you can this the coloring soon after it oxidizes on the tips.
                            Hope it all works out
                            -Jake

This and ozone will be my attempt.

Thanks guys

Comment

White vinegar cleans most things try a 50/50 solution with a scrub brush

Comment

Working...
                              X