Brace height=hand shock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brace height=hand shock?

I just bought my dad's SA III, and I took a video to check my form and follow through.

I realized that I am dropping my bow arm which kills my follow through. So, I shot again and focused on my follow through. I can't seem to keep the bow still. I even watched him shoot and the top limb seems to be kicking forward alot after the shot.

I checked the braceheight and it measures out to 6 1/2 in. He has a note in his manual for 7 5/8.

It is an 02 so it has fast flight. can FF stretch that much in 8yrs? What does Widow recommend for a brace height? and where does widow measure the BH to? Will raising the BH reduce the hand shock?

It is really quiet and fast so I hate to tamper with it but if it will help my consistency I'm down for just about anything.

Originally posted by 01milburnsc View Post
    I just bought my dad's SA III, and I took a video to check my form and follow through.

I realized that I am dropping my bow arm which kills my follow through. So, I shot again and focused on my follow through. I can't seem to keep the bow still. I even watched him shoot and the top limb seems to be kicking forward alot after the shot.

I checked the braceheight and it measures out to 6 1/2 in. He has a note in his manual for 7 5/8.

It is an 02 so it has fast flight. can FF stretch that much in 8yrs? What does Widow recommend for a brace height? and where does widow measure the BH to? Will raising the BH reduce the hand shock?

It is really quiet and fast so I hate to tamper with it but if it will help my consistency I'm down for just about anything.
    Others more knowledgeable than I will respond further, but yes adjusting (raising or lowering) brace height will effect hand shock and quietness.

Brace height is measured from the most recessed (farthest away from the string) part of the grip. It's where the webbing between your thumb and index finger fits into the grip. Measure from there to the string.

If your dad has the BW manual and it says 7 5/8, that's where I would start. Adjust in or out from there by twisting the string until you get the least noise with the least hand shock.
    Last edited by fletcherfor2; 02-19-2010, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Call BW and ask.
      6 1/2 sounds way too low for a bow of that design, but BW can tell you for sure.

Comment

7 5/8 sounds about right. I will take a beating for saying this but here goes. In mine (and many bowyers) opinion black widow recurves tend to have alot of limb flutter. That might be the sensation that you are feeling. That being said, follow the advice given by Fletcherfor 2 and see if you cant eliminate some of it. Additionally you might want to add some string silencers if you already haven't.

Let the Widow lashing begin....

Comment

I can respect that, rubydog.

I do kinda feel the flutter but this is actually jerking the top limb forward and forcing my bow arm down or twisting my wrist down.

I have a video that is on my computer, that was taken with a cell phone if someone can post it for me. it is a .3gpp format if that matters.

Comment

I would start with a new string [8yrs old ] maybe risky.

Comment

Any recurve will tend to flutter - the limbs are being stopped at the end of the stroke by the string itself...this causes the limbs to do a shimmy at the end. The limb tips are thinner than the limb itself so it gets imparted from the limb to the tips and this causes what you are calling flutter. This should not cause your bow arm to drop but the bow top to push away from you forcing it out and down at the same time. I noticed in your avatar you are drawing open hand - is this how you shoot or do you close your fingers (gently) around the riser at release? This could be more of what you are seeing as well. Just my opinion guys!!!!

Comment

Notice I said ''Alot" of limb flutter.

Comment

One of the best recurve shooters I ever knew dropped his bow similar to what you're talking about. I asked him about it, and he basically said it was just a psychological thing, and he'd learned to live with it. He also used an open hand on the bow.

Comment

There is no set number for brace height. Every bow and arrow combination plus draw weight and draw length require slightly different setup. Start shooting it a 7 and adding a couple of twist and repeat. When it is QUIETEST and LEAST HANDSHOCK that is the brace height you should go with.

Comment

I try to keep an open hand at all times. of course, I grip the bow(gently or not) after the release, but have tried to wrap my fingers around the grip gently during the shot and i still notice it. Is a little drop common? I would say I am dropping maybe 6". I just don't have a camera good enought o tell wether or not the arrow is still there during this drop.

I just switched from my compound to Instinctive traditional 3 weeks ago. I always kept my hand open on my compound to eliminate torque. It is just natural to me.

Although I am trying to follow "the bible" ,(as my dad and many of his traditional friends refer to it) G. Fred Asbell's "Instinctive Shooting", as close as possible because they were all at one time the top of their class following his techniques.

Acording to him If you hold your hand properly, torque is not an issue. Is this true?

Comment

[
                        Although I am trying to follow "the bible" ,(as my dad and many of his traditional friends refer to it) G. Fred Asbell's "Instinctive Shooting", as close as possible because they were all at one time the top of their class following his techniques.

Acording to him If you hold your hand properly, torque is not an issue. Is this true?[/QUOTE]

I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole!! Oh Doug!!

Comment

OK Terry!!!! I Know ya want me to chime in on this one. Fred has all his bows made and altered just for his style of shooting. The riser he uses in my opinion will not allow you to torque the bow if you have an average size hand... he has gorilla mitts on him.
                          Ol Fred G has his way of shooting - I have seen him shoot and even had him try to push his style on many others -myself included... needless to say a couple of those ol guys were far better shots and far more consistent. Now this was maybe 25 years ago but it shows that one style is not for everyone. This is why we have Master of the Bows 1-4 now.. Each and every one of those guys are great shooters but not one of them shoots the same. If Freds' style suits you then use it but I would say to try other styles and maybe even mix styles to find the one that works best for you. Now that make you feel better Terry?
                          Oh and by the way a bow can be torqued even if your hand is properly placed... it all has to do with fit to bow!

Comment

Well said Doug!! I already had my foot near my mouth on that one.
                            Every time I see an archer all hunched over like a pooch passin a peach seed I can't help but grin and wonder....

Comment

sa 3 brace should be measured from the deepest part of the grip to the string. It should brace between 8 1/4 to 9 inches. Most shoot real well around 8.5 inches.
                              SL

Comment

Working...
                              X