120V Mig Welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

120V Mig Welders

Thinking about buying one for the lease. Probably won't use it once a year, but want one anyway. Looked in the Classifieds and most of the small ones that I would be willing to buy are sold. Tractor Supply has a Forney something for $350, with the helmet and all accessories. Did a search for reviews and had 65 bad ones out of about 300 reviews, with most of the complaints being the wire feed was too slow or quit working entirely. Now, that means nothing to me as I've never used a welder in my life. But, any ideas on what I might look at for a light duty, occasional use welder that has to be 120V? Anybody with a decent used one for sale I would also consider. Thanks

Not familiar with the TS model but for light occasional use you'll get your money's worth many times over just having a welder at your disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
      Not familiar with the TS model but for light occasional use you'll get your money's worth many times over just having a welder at your disposal.
      It's a Forney 299 Easy Weld. Says it will do up to a 1/4" wire.

Comment

Hobart 140 handler will be great. You can buy a decent (new) hood for $70 or so. I am not familiar with the Forney, but you will be hard pressed to do better than the 140 for not much more money.

Comment

It gassless only. I wouldn't buy it personally.

Comment

I have a Hobart 140 that I have used in my business for two or three years. I have not had a single problem with it. I have probably run 300 lbs of wire thru it welding up to 1/4' plate.

Comment

I got a Vulcan 120 / 230 volt mig welder from Harbor Freight. I like it so far. It has a one year trial period where you can return and get your money back. It can be set up for gas or no gas. I paid around $650 for it though.

Comment

Pretty sure it Won't run 1/4" wire on a 125V machine.
                They Probably meant would weld up to 1/4" material...

Comment

I have been using a Clarke EN130 for 15 years without issue. For all the more often I weld I did not and do not need an expensive welder. I don't think they make the anymore but I bought it at a local hardware store in 2002 for $250. It can be hooked up to gas but I never bothered. If you don't want to add gas and only plan to use flux core you can get a Forney Easy Weld 299 for $180 on Amazon. I mention that one since you were already looking at that brand.

Comment

You want a mig or gasless flux?

I have a Chicago electric (harbor freight) 90 amp that’ll do pretty much everything you need. Welds up to about 1/4” or so if you pre heat.

The new HB welder is 120 amps I believe and they’re all had under $100. They are excellent little machines for what they are.

Also, do some research on PPE. You can get really good helmets and gloves for a reasonable price. If you want cheap, get a fixed shade, not an auto darkening helmet. You only get one set of eyes.
                    Last edited by 12RingKing; 01-16-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Miller 210

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                        You want a mig or gasless flux?

I have a Chicago electric (harbor freight) 90 amp that’ll do pretty much everything you need. Welds up to about 1/4” or so if you pre heat.

The new HB welder is 120 amps I believe and they’re all had under $100. They are excellent little machines for what they are.

Also, do some research on PPE. You can get really good helmets and gloves for a reasonable price. If you want cheap, get a fixed shade, not an auto darkening helmet. You only get one set of eyes.
                        I've had the same 90amp for about 5 years with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by "DOC" View Post
                          Pretty sure it Won't run 1/4" wire on a 125V machine.
                          They Probably meant would weld up to 1/4" material...
                          Ok, I'm sure you're right. Like I said, never even touched a welder, so totally ignorant about them and what they'll do.

Comment

Thanks for all of the ideas and advice guys. I do appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              It gassless only. I wouldn't buy it personally.
                              at the lease hes gonna probably be welding outside which gas wont matter hell be using flux core wire

Comment

Working...
                              X