Will Plowing Field Spook Deer/Change Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adthomps View Post
    I’m not worried about the tractor being out there and spooking the deer. Where I hunt there’s tractors working all year so the deer are used to that. I’m more concerned about plowing a field that’s been in tall grass for 3 years and whether or not that will change his behavior.

My thoughts are that he’s liking the place because it’s been relatively unused and he’s not pressured and has great food water as cover close by. Just not sure if changing that cover field to a plowed field would make things worse.

I may just plant about 10 acres of the field in 2 5 acre spots on opposite sides and leave all the middle alone
    I would probably do that, then in the spring plant it all. The strip you leave in the middle will give them some cover as well.

Comment

Here’s the story of my buck. Killed him on a day that they were running tractors during my hunt.

Comment

Plow away! If you use a John Deere they just think it’s another Deer.
        Attached Files

Comment

PLOW for sure because still in summer patterns and not spooked as much.

Post pics of him

Comment

The deer on our place love fresh turned up dirt. If anything it will probably attract them more than spook them.

Comment

Also turning that soul over attracts deer. May have more show up. Ground will be covered in tracts the first night.

Comment

I’m not worried about the tractor being out there and spooking the deer. Where I hunt there’s tractors working all year so the deer are used to that. I’m more concerned about plowing a field that’s been in tall grass for 3 years and whether or not that will change his behavior.

My thoughts are that he’s liking the place because it’s been relatively unused and he’s not pressured and has great food water as cover close by. Just not sure if changing that cover field to a plowed field would make things worse.

I may just plant about 10 acres of the field in 2 5 acre spots on opposite sides and leave all the middle alone
                I wouldn't plow anything if you have a buck like that on your place. As someone said above, I'd hunt him 2-3 weeks into the season before planting wheat. If the field isn't secluded, I might leave a wide strip of the overgrown stuff around the edges. But I'm probably overly cautious when it comes to staying out of a big buck's habitat.

I'm sure all of the stories above are true in terms of tractors and plowing not effecting the deer. But every scenario is different. How many acres a place is, how much cultivation, food sources, pressure from neighbors, the changing of food sources throughout the year.

This is a Ford vs Chevy conversation... no right or wrong answer.

But I'd leave that big boy alone myself. If anything, I would increase my corn and keep a steady pile of rice bran, maybe a trophy rock or some other mineral attractant.

Congrats on the pics and Good luck!!!

Comment

the biggest attractant for a buck is 1)food and 1a)female companionship! wheat sounds like it could cover both!

like some suggested, maybe leave some cover and plant the rest strategically.

Comment

If he's as big as you say he is, I wouldn't do anything to disturb him. Kill him early when he's on a food pattern and then plow/plant away. Imagine the doubts you'd have if he disappeared after you plowed his 30 acre overgrown bedding field. While I agree with what most have said here about it not spooking him, I think the risk isn't justified. Good luck getting him on the ground.

Comment

Depends... in centerville if you breath too loud on our 900 acres the deer disappear. By the house I was shredding and the deer just look at me :-)

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                        If he's as big as you say he is, I wouldn't do anything to disturb him. Kill him early when he's on a food pattern and then plow/plant away. Imagine the doubts you'd have if he disappeared after you plowed his 30 acre overgrown bedding field. While I agree with what most have said here about it not spooking him, I think the risk isn't justified. Good luck getting him on the ground.
                        This is the exactly where I’m leaning. If he disappears before season then I’ll plant as soon as Weather permits. If he stays around I don’t want to risk it or have any doubts about how I screwed it up. I won’t ever see another deer like him in my lifetime I’m sure and I would have nightmares about it for the rest of my life if I thought I screwed up a chance to get a shot on him

Comment

If your worried that they are using the field for bedding, why not plant just a portion of it.

Comment

Don't touch it. Keep plenty of corn and protein out and kill him opening weekend of bow season.

Comment

Pic

Agreed with others that this early should not be a problem. Do you have a trail cam pic?

Comment

This is the exactly where I’m leaning. If he disappears before season then I’ll plant as soon as Weather permits. If he stays around I don’t want to risk it or have any doubts about how I screwed it up. I won’t ever see another deer like him in my lifetime I’m sure and I would have nightmares about it for the rest of my life if I thought I screwed up a chance to get a shot on him
                                Sounds like you have made your mind up. Correct decision I think. How often are you checking your set up? The reason I ask is because you want to MAKE SURE that feeder is still spinning and groceries don't run out. Also, shed will be coming up soon. Don't get too stressed if he disappears for a bit during shed. I've seen some these big deer go MIA during this time of transition. If so, he should be back shortly.

Comment

Working...
                                X