parents supporting grown kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miket View Post
    Pathetic and abusive. The parents are allowing themselves to be abused by the "kids". When you legally become an adult you are responsible for yourself. My oldest is 18 and about to graduate. I told her if she isnt in a trade school or college she is out on the street. Period. As a parent I will help, for the ( actual ) good of the "child" but not be abused.

Not saying, in any way that we shoudnt help our kids to succeed in life, but what I see nowadays is far beyond that.
    This

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      Man reading that article and they mention 1.5 TRILLION student loan debt in this country.
      This to me is the next bubble to burst. Totally unsecured debt and it just keeps increasing. As far as adult kids living at home, too many different circumstances for me to judge. Plenty are there because they are spoiled, lazy and have never had to work because they have been provided for. Blame the parents here not the kids. Others have circumstances that warrant them living with their parents.

Comment

Man reading that article and they mention 1.5 TRILLION student loan debt in this country.
        This is frustrating. College students are borrowing more than they need and not working. Now they want these loans to be forgiven, I will have to see if my mortgage company will give me the same sort of deal.

Comment

I was fortunate as a kid. My Dad owned his own business and I always had a job to do. Problem was I had to work on Saturday morning, as a lazy teenager, until noon. Thank goodness he taught me the work ethic. Never been rich but always able to feed my kids and send them to college.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            I sent the link to my mother in law and my wife. The oldest sibling of my wife lives at home, has no job and the room she lives in looks like a tornado blew through it. She pays zero bills and does squat around the home to help. Shes 45

Then there is her son. He lives in a home paid for by another, has no job and has wrecked two cars my mother in law bought. Hes quit jobs given to him by family members and refused to work in my FIL shop. Hes 24

The both of them are leeches on society IMO. Ive told my son countless times I wont support him if he turns down a road halfway close to them. Its down right disgusting people can take advantage of anyone that way much less their own flesh and blood
            sounds like it's time for some tough love...let 'em live under a bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
              I am doing the opposite. My retirement plan is to move into my kid's basement.

King of Queens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a student loan to go to college to get a good job- need a great job to pay off said student loan.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                  This is frustrating. College students are borrowing more than they need and not working. Now they want these loans to be forgiven, I will have to see if my mortgage company will give me the same sort of deal.

Eh that’s not the exact truth. I have a semester left and my monthly student payments with financial aid is over $600. So I can only imagine what it will be when I graduate in the spring. If I don’t receive a significant raise it will certainly affect my life in a great way. The price of college is much more than it use to be, and wages have not gone up with inflation, creating this bubble we have now.

Comment

So True and So SAD...

Comment

My father came here from Puerto Rico via Brooklyn at 17 years old with a GED when he joined the Air Force. Went from Dyess AFB to building houses for my Mother’s Dad until he got hired on with Dallas PD. FBI Academy and 30 years in CID. Paid for my private school college education. I moved to Houston with a Ford Ranger, a water bed and $500. No way on earth would I have ever thought of going back home and have since done all I can to honor him and pay him back.
                      Meanwhile I have literally dozens of cousins in “failure to launch” situations who have milked my aunts and uncles dry. I totally don’t get it. My grandfather worked his arse off to get them (father’s siblings) to NY from Puerto Rico. The oldest ones served from WW-II through Vietnam but the younger ones let their kids run all over them.

Comment

My 16 year old got home from school changed clothes and grabbed 2 fishin poles. I asked where he was going and he explained he'd had a bad week and needed to relax.

I asked him what about that fence you've been grinding to paint for pawpaw? He sighs and says yeah?

I explain everyone has bad days and sometimes you gotta work anyway. You cant just quit but the decision is yours, grind or fish.

He put his rods up and ran a grinder for a few hours came home about 7 and went fishin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                          Eh that’s not the exact truth. I have a semester left and my monthly student payments with financial aid is over $600. So I can only imagine what it will be when I graduate in the spring. If I don’t receive a significant raise it will certainly affect my life in a great way. The price of college is much more than it use to be, and wages have not gone up with inflation, creating this bubble we have now.

This is very true. I'm lucky to have found a great job. I work with someone that went to a top 10 school that I didn't get accepted to (I also applied for something completely different). Now I make more than him and he has more debt.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post

Do you work? School choice is also important. Even at $600/month that’s $7200/year or 28k for a four year degree assuming you go to school during the summer as well. $28k is manageable if you budget. I owed $10k when I got out of school, it was paid off in less than a year. I did not buy anything until it was gone. I made a good wage and lived in a one bedroom apartment and drove a 15 year old truck. You have to want to pay it off. My frustration is more with the kids graduating with over $100k in debt with no intention of repaying.

Comment

Sure a lot of democratic kids out there

Comment

This article is interesting to me.

Yes, the rise in the rate of pay has been outpaced by the cost of living (which has outpaced inflation, IMO). This has made it really difficult (but not impossible) for a young person starting out. Many are simply not willing to modify their lifestyle to suit their income. I don't think college kids today live on Ramen like we did before.

I had kind of a unique experience. I went to college, and then bailed out just before my senior year. I made a deal with my folks: I would work, and take care of all chores around the house, if they'd let me stay there. I worked 2 jobs, kept the yard mowed, hired a maid to come in once every 2 weeks, paid off my college loans, and saved up for a house. I bought my house when I was 24.

I'll make the same deal with my daughter. She's taking welding, and vet tech classes while still in high school, and will graduate with certificates in both. She should be able to sustain once she graduates, but I'll help her with either college or trade school, whichever she chooses.

I still work 2 jobs; electrical PM by day, and I teach at night at the trade school. I've had some interesting conversations with my students. Some still live at home, many are out trying to make it on their own. I'll do anything to help them advance their career (that's what I'm there for), I still get calls from students that I had several years ago. I really enjoy hearing about how they're doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X