Hoyt Spyder owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoyt Spyder owners?

I've been told that the Hoyt Spyder can be completely silent by several different people who has seen this accomplished.

Mine doesn't need to be dead silent, though that would be ideal, but I'd like it to be a lot more quiet than it is.
    What can I do to quiet down my bow without loosing a lot of speed?

I shot at 3 deer last year, all inside 30 yards, and all 3 jumped the string and ducked my arrow.
    They were all COE deer, so their nerves were jumpy anyways, but my noisy bow didn't help.

Any suggestions?
    Here's my set up.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441464562.990297.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	25066100Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441464575.079976.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	25066101Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441464583.666070.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	25066102

You shoot from a ground blind or elevated?

Comment

Ground

Comment

Heavier arrow is the most simple noise reducer. Also you could use some string leeches to help.

But number one is don't shoot a alert high strung deer. Take your time , let them calm down some and then BAM! Right in the pump house.

Comment

^^^ nailed it, heavier arrows and string silencers will do wonders. might even try different stabilizers also

Comment

Man not sure what noise your getting out from your bow, I have 4-Hoyt's Bows all set up to 65 pounds 30 inch draw and I shoot carbon express Maxima hunters 350s out of all them very quite and never had a deer jumping a arrow
            Hoyt reflex Super slam
            Hoyt Carbon element
            Hoyt Carbon spider
            Hoyt nitrum

Comment

I think it's all string noise.

May have to try the leeches.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
                I think it's all string noise.

May have to try the leeches.

I shot mine last year with no leaves and was nice and quiet. What grain arrow are u shooting ? Like others said a heavy arrow will solve it.

Comment

Try some wishbone on the string and check your string stop..those bows aren't normally loud.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                    I shot mine last year with no leaves and was nice and quiet. What grain arrow are u shooting ? Like others said a heavy arrow will solve it.

Arrow weight is 372 gns
                    72 # DW
                    Last edited by Mac...; 09-05-2015, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Arrows too light for quiet. I shoot a carbon spyder 34 with either 450 grain arrows or 500 grain arrows. It's quiet and I have yet to see something jump. My heavy arrows are going 280 fps+ and blew through a grizzly bear. My 450 grain arrows shot through muskox and moose last year. My sweet spot for arrows is 425-450 grains. If bigger animal then I go up.

Comment

A heavier arrow and cat whiskers. I love cat whiskers, they just plain work.

Comment

I shoot a pretty heavy arrow around 480 grains i think. Mines pretty quiet but I also just changed strings and lost my string leeches so that may bump up my noise a little. Im also thinking of going to a bstinger stab this season. Anyone run one on their spyder and like it?

OP what model are you shooting? Your pic looks like a carbon spyder?

Comment

I shoot a bstinger on mine and really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter2989 View Post

OP what model are you shooting? Your pic looks like a carbon spyder?

Yup
                              '14 Carbon Spyder

So I'm no arrow expert.
                              Is there a way to add weight to an arrow itself?
                              Obviously the top, but beside the tip, I want to stay with the tips I have simply because I don't want to sell off what I have to buy more. (I'd lose more coin than it's worth)

Or do I just need to buy a heavier arrow? FMJs or something? I have a couple of those. May try them just to see the difference.
                              Last edited by Mac...; 09-06-2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X