Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    I’d try eating one.
    Ditto. Might turn out to be the bacon of the ocean.

Comment

I think they should let nature take its course, if the steelhead goes extinct then that’s what nature intended

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        No problems here. If they could get hunters to take them, and sell licenses for it, making a little extra money to manage their wildlife better, that would be even better. But I can only imagine what those tree huggers up there would do if they saw that.
        Just look at the Mountain Lion problem in California to see how this works.

"We have to stop lion hunting! It's barbaric!"

Okay done

"Oh MY God There are mountain lions every where! Someone do something!"

Okay, we will have state agents go out and kill every one they find

"Thank goodness! Thank you State! Now I can go to that anti hunting rally without fear of getting mauled."

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
          I think they should let nature take its course, if the steelhead goes extinct then that’s what nature intended
          Most of the problems with steelhead and salmon are man caused. The sea lion thing is just a measure to protect what's left. Of course, the argument could be made that man and it's creations are part of the natural course.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            probably not much 'hunting' to it.

Why? Are they high fenced?

Comment

That's not the intention of 'nature' if extinction was caused by dams, human over fishing, the destruction of baitfish populations through commercial fishing, dilution of wild genetics through hatcheries, and (dare I say it?) warming ocean temperatures from all our coal rolling trucks.
              You have to include mankind in your definition of nature, or admit that it isn't a natural happening.

I see it this way:

1. declare we are above the system, and not part of the natural order (usually a religious argument, but that begs the question about being good stewards).

Or:

2. decide we are part of the system, in which case we act an awful lot like wild hogs. Just with a much higher tolerance for cold and flying.

Comment

Tags should be issued. Revenue for the State. I agree with most of what has already been said.

Comment

I'm in! Get it mounted standing on its flippers balancing a beachball on its back flippers.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                    I'm in! Get it mounted standing on its flippers balancing a beachball on its back flippers.
                    Now that's something to be done!

Comment

Wrong, this is man's doing not nature. I grew up fishing steelhead on the Clearwater River in Idaho. In the 50's and 60's there were great runs into the Snake, Clearwater, and Salmon River drainages.

Now a fish has to navigate 8 dams on the Columbia and Snake, their associated fish ladders, slack water, sunbathing seals, and the tribes netting them, before it ever hits Idaho water.

Hogboy

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        I’d try eating one.
                        Gravy and taters

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          x2. I just don't agree with the govt doing any of the removal or controlling, this should be left to the public through license and permit/tag sales.
                          I agree with you, if they won't make public permits available for purchase then so bit it, that being said I'd rather the public permit 100%. At the end of the day its going to take the Hunters and Conservation programs of that area stepping up to influence the decisions in the future.

Comment

My guess is that the Marine Mammal Protection Act would have to be amended to allow hunts by non-governmental entities or "natives". I've always had a problem with two facets of this act. Number one, what is so special about marine mammals as compared to all other mammals that they cannot be sustainably harvested? Number two, why is it OK for "native peoples" to harvest marine mammals, but nobody else? I thought we were all created equal, or is that just a slogan?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              My guess is that the Marine Mammal Protection Act would have to be amended to allow hunts by non-governmental entities or "natives". I've always had a problem with two facets of this act. Number one, what is so special about marine mammals as compared to all other mammals that they cannot be sustainably harvested? Number two, why is it OK for "native peoples" to harvest marine mammals, but nobody else? I thought we were all created equal, or is that just a slogan?
                              Yep, that act would be a huge obstacle to allowing regular folks to kill them.

The natives are a sovereign people and the laws of the US apply to them differently through various treaties, they are basically a different nation.

Comment

Do whatever it takes.

Looks like this place is dang near in city limits of Portland so I don’t see how hunting is possible? Plus who’d kill a sea lion? Lol

We are the primary cause of the steelhead decline so whatever we can do to help is a plus. Unfortunately ****s and other manmade structures along rivers will probably lead to their extinction

Comment

Working...
                                X