No announcement yet.

Trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where your planting. But “native “ is always best. Their native for good reason in most cases. They can handle the moisture, native insects and other pest.

White oaks are the preferred, IF they will thrive in that area. Also look into years before they produce. Burr oaks in my area do great.... but take around 50 years to produce (so I’ve been told)

Comment

White oak acorns ( white oak, post oak, live oak, burn oak, chinkapin) are sweeter and preferred early in the season. Red oak acorns ( water oaks, shumard, willow oaks, Texas oaks) are more bitter but have more tannins/ fats that help the acorn stay good for longer on the ground. They also are more consistent producers year to year than the white oak family.

Comment

I would also put shade cloth or give afternoon shade to my saplings during the summer. The Texas sun cooks young trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
          White oak acorns ( white oak, post oak, live oak, burn oak, chinkapin) are sweeter and preferred early in the season. Red oak acorns ( water oaks, shumard, willow oaks, Texas oaks) are more bitter but have more tannins/ fats that help the acorn stay good for longer on the ground. They also are more consistent producers year to year than the white oak family.
          Red Oaks only produce acorns every other year. Their acorn growth is a 2 year cycle. How is that more consistent year to year?

Comment

My live oaks/water oaks have been producing acorns for several years. The red oak I planted 16 plus years ago still looks small for its age.

Comment

One thing I'd ask first is what the surrounding land holds and what's already there. If you're already completely surrounded by oaks and have a bunch on the property, it may be a wasted effort. There are a lot of fruit trees you can plant that will both provide mast/nutrition and serve as attractants.

Deer absolutely love pears, plums, apples, and peaches. Not so much on citrus. You can buy Mexican plums or wild rainbow plums (also known as sand plums) and they will form thickets that provide cover and a heavy crop of fruit in May/June.

Just throwing out alternatives if you're already covered up in oaks. Of course you can do both as well. Fruit trees grow much faster and produce much sooner on average.

Comment

Of course Oaks native to area generally do well But most are Slow grow and produce way down road...So do not count them out...Sawtooth oaks chinese oaks we called..I was on lease north of Douglass and we had one big food plot that had about a 100y dia circ..planted with them..which was only probably 20% of food plot..The firs 5y or so I though a Flop..But then they really started to grow in size and produce...They dropped acorns early and deer loved them

Comment

Dustan chestnuts and sawtooth oaks produces quicker

Comment

I would buy bare root trees. Legg Creek farm is who i have been using.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      I would buy bare root trees. Legg Creek farm is who i have been using.
                      I plant acorns in 5 gallon buckets then transplant once 18" tall. They grow faster if the roots are never disturbed.

The 2 in the back yard are bigger than the ones in the front by 10 feet and they are from the acorns of the ones in the front yard. That makes them probably 5-10 years younger.

Comment

Thanks for all of the good information.

Comment

Someone on TBH was selling some trees just recently but I cannot remember who.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                            I plant acorns in 5 gallon buckets then transplant once 18" tall. They grow faster if the roots are never disturbed.

The 2 in the back yard are bigger than the ones in the front by 10 feet and they are from the acorns of the ones in the front yard. That makes them probably 5-10 years younger.

A bare root tree planted before budding out will out grow a container grown tree every time.

Trees grow best in the ground.

Starting trees in containers from acorn is great. You can weed out the slow growers, the ones that don’t germinate, the ugly ones. But cost for 50 container grown trees shipped vs 50 bare root trees is huge.

Buying vs growing

We are talking about 18-24 inch tree bare root is 4-5 bucks each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                              A bare root tree planted before budding out will out grow a container grown tree every time.

Trees grow best in the ground.

Starting trees in containers from acorn is great. You can weed out the slow growers, the ones that don’t germinate, the ugly ones. But cost for 50 container grown trees shipped vs 50 bare root trees is huge.

Buying vs growing

We are talking about 18-24 inch tree bare root is 4-5 bucks each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Container is fine if you plant them before the roots every know they are in a container. But if you are buying that never happens. You are right about outgrowing though.

I have free acorns in the front yard and plenty in the back. Free buckets and soil. And a choice of Live Oaks or water oaks. Just no place to plant them......LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                                Red Oaks only produce acorns every other year. Their acorn growth is a 2 year cycle. How is that more consistent year to year?
                                Red oaks are biennials which means they flower on previous years growth and are not reliant upon current rainfall. White oaks will produce annually if there is rain they produce acorns if there is no rain they don't produce many acorns. Red oaks will still produce acorn in a drought year.. I have observed this with our water oaks producing consistently and our post oaks feast or famine.

Comment

Working...
                                X