Extra gas tank in truck bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra gas tank in truck bed

I know a lot of people uses extra fuel tank In Truck beds for diesel, but what about gas. I have the opportunity to get a 110 gallon tank for my lease truck which is a gas truck and everything thing else is gas also. This would help from having to run into town to get gas in a 15 gallon tank every trip. I know diesel has a lower flash point than gas so my biggest concern is static electricity and catching fire. What does my green screen friends think.

I wouldn’t mind a 20 gal pony tank, but 110gallons in the bed? Seems excessive. I’d rather get an elevated gravity fed storage tank and put it by the house/trailer than have that in the back of the truck.

Comment

I would think that 110 gallons of gasoline would be a little more of an explosion risk than I would want to chance personally. I also think that transfer tanks have to be DOT approved to include the tank and its installation location. ( When used for gasoline )

Comment

110 gallons of gas = approx. 800 lbs. .

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          110 gallons of gas = approx. 800 lbs. .
          Not to worried about weight. 3/4 ton ford.

But we have four trucks at camp. Two are street legal two are not.
          3/4 ton ford V10= 24 gallons
          1/2 ton ford = 24 gallons
          3/4 ton Chevy= 25 gallons
          Zuki Samerai = 10 gallons

Plus what ever needs gas.

Comment

I guess if you’re not worried about dying in an explosion then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
              Not to worried about weight. 3/4 ton ford.

But we have four trucks at camp. Two are street legal two are not.
              3/4 ton ford V10= 24 gallons
              1/2 ton ford = 24 gallons
              3/4 ton Chevy= 25 gallons
              Zuki Samerai = 10 gallons

Plus what ever needs gas.
              Get a stationary tank for storing gasoline. As others have mentioned, you run the risk of an explosion. I used to drive fuel trucks hauling aviation fuel, but those are equipped with grounding cables. Still doesn’t guarantee no trouble with static electricity and vapor buildup.

Please just get a stationary tank that meets your needs for gasoline usage. Have a fuel supplier deliver what you need to the tank. Yes it’s more expensive, but what is your life worth?
              Last edited by Worksalot; 07-14-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                Get a stationary tank for storing gasoline. As others have mentioned, you run the risk of an explosion. I used to drive fuel trucks hauling aviation fuel, but those are equipped with grounding cables. Still doesn’t guarantee no trouble with static electricity and vapor buildup.

Please just get a stationary tank that meets your needs for gasoline usage. Have a fuel supplier deliver what you need to the tank. Yes it’s more expensive, but what is your life worth?
                Fire is why I’m asking, guess I’ll just use it for diesel on long trips.

Comment

I heard it was against the law to have it connected. But Id check first

Comment

No way would I do that for a gas lease truck

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                      Fire is why I’m asking, guess I’ll just use it for diesel on long trips.
                      That is a smart move. I had a small accident several years ago that thankfully didn’t end with a fire and my pickup burnt up. Still scared me.

Back when I was driving aviation fuel trucks at an airport, I was never relaxed while doing it. Seeing foolish people zip around blind corners of airplane hangars made me nervous. Then combine that with a large fuel truck that hauled jet fuel and had hose reels and a tank that stuck way out. Very poor rear visibility. Had to wonder if I could run fast enough away if a car or pickup ever collided with the fuel truck. That was a scary reality that always ran through my head.

Comment

As far as I know, all the pickup bed transfer tanks are rated for diesel, not gasoline.

Comment

Working...
                        X