.243 advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.243 advice

My grandson shots a .243 and shot a doe this season (85yds) and it ran about 40 yards. Shot appeared to be a good hit. A few weeks later his dad shot a doe same thing doe ran once again shot appeared to be a good shot.

So my question is what is the best ammo to use in a .243? That will knock them down with no running.

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
    My grandson shots a .243 and shot a doe this season (85yds) and it ran about 40 yards. Shot appeared to be a good hit. A few weeks later his dad shot a doe same thing doe ran once again shot appeared to be a good shot.

So my question is what is the best ammo to use in a .243? That will knock them down with no running.
    Hornady sst has always worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Does not exist. Switch over the shooting high front shoulder instead of behind shoulder low. Disrupt the nervous system

Comment

Hornady 95Gr SST

Comment

The .243 does not have much knock down power even on a perfect shot the deer may run. Unless you are head and neck hunting. I would recommend the Hornady American Whitetail in 100 grain

Comment

So you are upset a deer ran 40 yards before it died?

I shoot the federal fusion ammo with great results. .243 is a great round

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              Does not exist. Switch over the shooting high front shoulder instead of behind shoulder low. Disrupt the nervous system
              What Glen said

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                yep ^^

Comment

IMO this is probably you're best shot placement for dropping a deer in its tracks with a .243

that being said, there's nothing wrong with a 40 yard track.
                  Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-14-2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

There or a 4 inches forward 2 down.

Comment

Like everyone else said...it's where you shoot 'em, not what you shoot 'em with

Comment

I just kind of expect them to run a few yards.
                        I've shot a 243.for 40 years and my son shoots one now.

Comment

My son has had really good results with the Hornady 87gr reduced recoil ammo. He shot 3 deer this year 2 dropped where stood, 1 ran 10 yds. Similar experiences throughout the years. I think every shot is going to be different though and unpredictable no matter what your using. Seen perfectly shot deer run hundreds of yards not to be found and marginal shots drop in tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            The .243 does not have much knock down power even on a perfect shot the deer may run. Unless you are head and neck hunting. I would recommend the Hornady American Whitetail in 100 grain
                            I laugh every time I see this in regards to the 243 discussion.

Comment

I like the Federal Fusion in 243. It’s been a good round for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X